New to Lectron have questions

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by HSrider, Sep 16, 2013.

1. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi All,

Got around to riding the 144 with new lectron this weekend and after setting it up like instructions said it still seems to have a bog kind of condition when starting out. I did adjust the metering rod about 3/4's a turn leaner and it seemed to do better. My main question is do these carbs normally need adjusting like this when you get them? According to the instructions they should come pretty close to the proper adjustment. Also what is everyone using to adjust the rod I don't have the recommended adjusting tool.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I just want to make sure I'm setting this thing up properly.
  2. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Make sure the power jet adjustment isn't too far out also.
  3. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    What he said. I ended up going back to just .25 turns leaner than delivered on the needle as I too went .75 leaner, but wasn't necessary. The needle is pretty darn close as delivered.

Getting the PJ set right is key. Start off with the PJ at .75 turns out and do the plug chop/check to make sure you get it right. Big difference in just .25 of a turn to the PJ for sure. Once I got my PJ set right, everything is now perfect and no spooge or smoke etc.

Mine came set with the PJ out to 1.5 turns out. WAY TOO RICH and had a bog as well. After doing the checks and such, I ended up .75 turn out and all is well.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    This is all good advise. You might want to go back richer with the rod and play with the PJ. They do come setup very close but all bikes are different, different fuel qualities etc. some adjustment is many times necessary.
  5. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the tips guys I would of never thought about the PJ I thought that was for mid to top end but guess I misunderstood. Suspension is out right now but once it's back I'll get it together and set meter rod back to setting as delivered and see where the PJ is set and then go from there. Guess I need to order some extra plugs.

So on the 5 sec. plug check do I pull the clutch/kill the engine or just let it go back to idle and then kill it? I've never done this with any of my bikes.

Thanks
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It is kinda for top end but is throttle position sensitive so if your going slow and whack the throttle way open it will be part of the fuel supply. Its right there and EZ to twist away on so play with it and see if one direction or the other helps. You cant really hurt anything by messing with it.
  7. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

So had a chance to go out testing the Lectron carb on Friday and after two hours I can't say I'm any better off than i was. Still can't get the plug color to be the light tan/white it should be. I went through like 5 plugs and even after talking with Kevin still can't get the plug color right. Bike seems to run fine so do I really need to worry about plug color that much? If I had access to a dyno I would do the dyno test and dial it in spot on but I don't. All my plug readings seem to be lean so I'm worried about blowing up the motor. Meter rod stock setting and doing the idle test seems good. Then when I tried the PJ at 1 turn out to 2.5 turns out the plug color didn't change much if at all. I was doing 3rd gear on the throttle for 5 seconds and then killing engine as i pulled the clutch. So not sure I was even doing the plug test properly. Any input would be great. Also I seem to have a little sippage out of the over flow line on the carb not sure that is normal.
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Don't forget that if you are running alcoholic gas that plug readings can be missleading.
  9. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    Did you feel any change in performance when you adjusted the PJ? Did you hear anything unusual from the engine at WOT?

10. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just running 93 octane pump gas.

Noticed some difference but not a whole lot when adjusting PJ. Kevin at Lectron said plug readings is old school and that Lectron is very forgiving even when not set perfectly. So I'm going riding tomorrow I'll see what it feels like.
  11. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    You need to try a quarter richer on the rod and set the power jet at 1 1/2.Start with a fresh plug and go ride for at least 1/2 an hour with out stopping don't not go past 3/8 throttle to see where your plug is on low end. Then go back and check yor plug when its nice and hot. Go back and do the same thing for your power jet ride from half to full throttle like you would racing a harescramble and check your plug again. If its to lean on the bottom when you wack the throttle wide open it will cough a little. If it's to rich on top it will feel like a bog and feel like it will not clean out go leaner till it rips. This is how I adjusted mine and it worked for me. Both my plugs are perfect and no spooge. Hope this helps.
    Tim.
    dukepilot likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Great tips just like your other post on this bike. :thumbsup:

Here is my plug with 1700 miles, 3 different pipes, 2 different Lectrons, always seems to look about like this. (04 CR125 with 165 kit and Doma KTM 200 pipe)

[IMG]

my bike amazed the crap out of me again this weekend. I love that machine.

[IMG]
  13. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Our plugs look identicle.
  14. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Right now I have the 144 cylinder on my WR125 along with FMF Fatty pipe and turbine core 2 silencer. I would love to have my plugs coming out that color. I love the bike and I know it has a lot more potential in there that just isn't happening right now and I'm really thinking after riding my old KTM 300 yesterday with really the only difference being the owner switched to Amsoil pre-mix. I will go through everything though and clean it up and address the reed block gaskets and carb and put all new gaskets on and just clean everything up. Then I'll try the minor adjustments on the carb as both of you suggested.

Any good suggestions from you two on which way to attack this are welcome.

I have the 165 cylinder and KTM 200 pipe in the garage but really wanted to get the feel for this 144 before putting it on and I'm still going to stick to that plan. I know the 144 will be fun once I figure out this carb issue and the other things mentioned.