1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st New to the forum

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jsleeper, Sep 30, 2009.

1. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, I have been reading this forum for awhile now. You guys helped my decide to buy my wife her WR125. So, now that I have a '06 WR250 and a new '09WR125 I thought I should become a member...because I will probably have a lot of questions.

Here are pics of our bikes:

WR250

[IMG]

[IMG]

My wife's new WR125

[IMG]

[IMG]

I am going to wake up at the crack of dawn tomorrow and take the Husky for it first ride (first day of red sticker season here in CA). I am curious to see how it does. It has all the upgrades, so hopefully no issues.

JS
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

Both bikes look really nice.:thumbsup:
    Glad you decided to Join our merry band and welcome.:cheers:
  3. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just love your blue husky!!! And the new 125!
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Gee, that's a surprise :lol:

Welcome to CafeHusky, jsleeper :cheers:

Tell your very lucky wife I said congratulations on the new WR!
    I'm jealous...

Let us know how the ride goes!

WoodsChick
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Welcome to the site. Has your wife had a chance to get her WR dirty yet?
  6. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Nice Bike...Geeez I wish I had one of those....
    er wait a minute I do. :lol::lol:

I'm sure your wife will just love it.

:cheers:
  7. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    You are soo lucky to have a wife that rides. Must make many budget negotiations easier to settle. Is that a Beezer hiding behind the Husky?
  8. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

First Ride

Well my wife and I rode the bike today. When I first rode the bike it had a big bog when cracking the throttle. It would starve for fuel for a second or so, then take off. I moved the needle up one clip to the
    4th clip from the top and the bog went away, for the most part. Right now I am running a 35 pilot and 450 main. I need to go down to a 32.5 pilot because it is blubbery and hard to start in hotter weather. It is also oozing out the tailpipe, so probably could go leaner on the main, but I would rather run a bit rich (I will probably flog this bike when I get on it, so a little rich is good). My dealer had a 45 pilot in it. I could not even get it to idle with this. Does a 32.5 seem way too learn? I am about 300-600 ft above sea level.

Overall, the bike is great. The suspension works really well. A bit stiff, but really nice when pushing the bike fast. It handles great and feels weightless when riding it, but it did not get jitterly over bumps, rocks, etc. when pushing it fast (my wr250 does this more, it seems). The motor is really strong. It has a lot of snap off the bottom, more than I expected. It has the ability to chug and crawl around, or scream like a banshee. I am about 180lbs, and did not have to clutch it to get the bike to move fast out of corners. It does make a lot of noise though!

My wife said it is perfect. She said she is able to chug it without using the clutch, but can also go fast when she wants. It goes where she wants it to, and does not die when idling down hills. She said it vibrates a bit, and the bars felt a bit low when standing up. She wanted to ride it more...so that is always a good sign. On the crf250x, she was done after 1-2 trails (probably because of the weight).

Some things I need to get used to (good and bad):

1) eats a lot of gas (or maybe the tank is just small?)- I am used to my wife's old bike crf250x. That thing would go a whole day of riding on one tank. This bike went about 2 hours.

2) 6th gear comes up very fast. I was riding a fast section of trail in
    6th gear....looking for more gears. I think I usually ride this part of the trail in 3rd/4th on my wr250. However, the bike does seem geared really well for tighter conditions, which is a fair trade-off, since my wife will be spending most of her time at lower speeds. Does anyone know the top speed with stock gearing. It feels like 40mph.

3) I will have to get used to my wr250 kicking me back, and needing that perfect learn, angle, pressure to fire up with the stubby little kicker. The wr125 starts so easy. It is amazing.

4) A lot of people were asking me about the bike. Everyone would turn and watch as I went by, as if I was riding some foreign machine they had never seen....I guess I was. There are probably kids out there right now that have never ridden a 2-stroke (no 85) and probably will never come close to a 125. When they hear that little screaming and the exotic look of the Husky, they are not sure what to make of it. I had to pick up an hour meter from my local Honda shop where I do a lot of business. One of the parts guys was really surprised by the bike. I told him Honda needs to get back into the two-stroke game so I can buy bikes from them again. He mentioned the new Yamaha 450. I liked my 450 a lot, but can have as much fun on a $6K WR125 as a
    $9K 450 for almost half the price (especially when adding up parts, tires, maintenance, etc.)!!!

We are going to ride all day on Saturday at Hollister Hills. We will see how the bike performs with some more serious riding time.

JS
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Thanks for the great review :thumbsup:

I'm in need of a new bike for gnarly terrain (so that means a 2-stroke!)
    and the WR125 is at the top of my list. I'm not happy about the red sticker status, and the limited range is problematic, but everyone loves the bike...and they can't all be wrong :)

Motosportz has a unique solution to the fuel range problem on his WR125...

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3689&highlight=fuel rack

WoodsChick
  10. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I wanna know what's got the pink handlebars and seat (Yamaha?)and street tire with a bare tank (Triumph?) in your garage:D That looks like a story.
    Welcome to Cafe Husky!
  11. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    A lot of people are running a 32.5 pilot. I ran one on our CR 125 and the off idle was perfect. It may help the spooge as well.
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Welcome to 125 world! Most people go to 32.5 pilot. My bike seems to work fine with the 45 at 1000-2000' Kelly's set up with the stock 5.0 slide, rather than Power Up 4.0 and fatter main jet, seems to yield best fuel economy. Top speed? I have an accurately set up ICO Checkmate enduro computer on my '09. With 2 teeth lower (52) than stock, I've seen 65+mph. Since the odometer reads accurately, I think the mph reading is accurate. Trail Rider Mag had 70 mph indicated on stock speedo on last WR125 they tested with stock 13/50 gearing.

Plastic version of my P3 kevlar tank, should be availible in 2.9 gal plastic version in the future.....
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43823&postcount=102
  13. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah, it is great to have a wife that rides. My sister, mom, and daughter all ride. Here is a quick video of my daughter on her bike.

http://s580.photobucket.com/albums/ss243/jsleeperhusky/?action=view&current=Bellriding.flv

A '73 T100 I am working on (every just sitting on the bike)....slowly. I need to tear into the motor next week. I told my wife I am building it for her, so I can build another one for me, haha. She did not buy it.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

The bike with the pink handlebars and seat is my sister's old Suzuki RM 80. Her first bike. My dad and I tore into it, painted it all pink, put a license plate on the back that says, "Hi Losers." It was pretty funny. It needs a top-end, so it just sits in the garage collecting dust. My sister has graduated to a RM100 trail killer...she is super fast on this bike. I my sister is only 5 feet tall, so cannot ride bigger bikes, but has the ability to ride a 250/450 as long as someone catches her when it comes time to stop!

JS
  15. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks a lot. I will try the 32.5 pilot.

JS
  16. sam001 Husqvarna
    C Class

Sam001

Hello,

My name is Sam and I am from Adelaide, South Australia.

Current ride is a 2009 TE450.

This is my 17th dirt bike over a long period of time and I am looking forward to learning more about Husky set ups and accessories.

I love this bike.

Steers like no other.