New txc 511 stalls unexpectedly

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by dbarnes, Dec 1, 2011.

1. dbarnes Husqvarna
    C Class

I just bought a brand new 2011 txc 511. I love the bike, but it is stalling when least expected. For example, I might be in 2nd gear with decent rpm's and it flames out at the most inopportune moment. I'm coming off a ktm 450 sx and rarely stalled it in tight woods. I've had countless other people ride it who have encountered the same problem. It has an Akropovic pipe on it and O2 sensor has been taken off and it is in "power up" position for competition mode, rather than Euro/street mode. Do you think it is too lean with that akra pipe? Is there a mapping that would account for the pipe difference. I've heard that applying the 2012 mapping would make it richer, but no one has the 2012 mapping yet. I've also heard that a JD tuner would take care of the problem. Could it be electrical? Has anyone had my problem? Any info. would be appreciated. Thank you so much.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It is lean. The JD will help / fix it I believe. They are all lean even on the race setting.
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    +1 on the JD tuner
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    +2 on the JD tuner... although my 449 never had a stalling issue. Seems that maybe the 511's need a richer EFI map out of the box?
  5. SAM511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 HUSQVARNA TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 HUSABERG 450 2014 HUSABERG 501
    I agree with everybody.
    I have not had stalling/flameout issues with my TE511 since I installed the JD Programmer, did a quick reset of the TPS and put the air bypass screw in its correct setting.
    I ride in mild temperate climates at sea level and use 98 octane premium.
    Runs as good as any of my previous bikes. In fact better. :thumbsup:
    SAM511
  6. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What is the proper TPS setting for a 511?
  7. SAM511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 HUSQVARNA TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    "Quick Reset" of Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and EFI Controllers

1. Disconnect the battery for approx 2 minute, then hook it back up again.
    2. Turn the ignition key on.
    3. Turn the throttle to full stop and then back again.
    4. Turn the ignition key off, and then turn it back on again.
    5. Start the bike without touching the throttle.

SAM511
    56on449 likes this.
  8. dbarnes Husqvarna
    C Class

Thanks guys! I took your advice and made the plunge - It made a world of difference.
  9. rpmguy Husqvarna
    B Class

How about TPS adjust on a TXC511 with no key to turn on??? And whats the air adjust supposed to be at. Thanks, just rode mine for the first time today, and it needs a little tweaking.
  10. SAM511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 HUSQVARNA TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    With the TXC's you will most probably have to go to your dealer and use the Husky plug in diagnostic/tuner.
    Lucky are the guys with TE's that have got keys I guess.
    Your dealer should do it for nothing if you bought the bike there. Really, it only takes a few minutes !
    SAM511
  11. BignHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

ah good FYI on this. Just bought a TXC511 and haven't picked it up yet as the dealer is over 600mi away! I should make sure the dealer resets the TPS before i take delivery. Is there possibly anything else that the dealer only has equipment to deal with before i pick it up?
  12. SAM511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 HUSQVARNA TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just check the TPS.
    If he has the diagnostic equipment, a quick plug in and check will not take him long at all.
    In my experience dealers are reluctant to spend any time on it. They will use the line : just ride it first and we will deal with it for free if it needs it.
    Trouble is you are 600 mls away !
    SAM511
  13. BignHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ha, sounds good although i am so new to all this i am not even sure what i should be telling him to check??? The TPS yes but that it is dialed in for the Akra exhaust, what? I will take it through the paces while i'm there. Is there anything i can do riding or throttle handling wise that will show me right away weather it has been checked or not?
  14. SAM511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 HUSQVARNA TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) can not be checked just by turning the throttle. The main observation is that whilst you are riding and you chop the throttle whilst slowing for say, a corner, you might experience a flame out and the motor will cut. On my TE511 this can also be from an incorrect idle air bypass setting in the EFI which I can adjust by a screw on the side of the EFI housing. However, on the TXC511 I beleive that this feature is not there.

My TE511 runs 100% perfect with no flame outs or flat spots at all.

SAM511
  15. BignHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks for the heads up Sam511. I sent email off to dealer to make sure i could get this done before or at delivery time... still haven't heard back but i will make sure this is either done or not happening upon test ride.
  16. kurtpr Husqvarna

Hey Sam, I just read all of this as I picked up a 2012 TE511 this last week. ( 12/27...merry Christmas to me)
    My 511 runs good but I am also experiencing cut outs sometimes on quick throttle releases....such as when I pull the clutch lever and let off the throttle. I see that the JD tuners seem to be a favorite. Also believe it or not, but my 511 did not come with a key switch/ignition.....umm.
  17. SAM511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 HUSQVARNA TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Kurt,

It is a bummer about no ignition switch. I suspect that the quick TPS reset procedure might not be able to be performed ?

Still check the air bypass screw on the EFI. It is the large brass screw on the side of the EFI body and on a TE511 it should be set at 2 1/4 turns (+/- 1/8th turn) out from fully in.

SA511
  18. kurtpr Husqvarna

Will do, thank you...I am going to call the dealer on Monday to find out about the keyed ignition. I am curious to find out why it either has been eliminated or what.
    Kurt
  19. FMF Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC 511
    I had the same exact problem and it was unnerving as hell I did the
    "Quick Reset" of Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and EFI Controllers

1. Disconnect the battery for approx 2 minute, then hook it back up again.
    2. Turn the ignition key on.
    3. Turn the throttle to full stop and then back again.
    4. Turn the ignition key off, and then turn it back on again.
    5. Start the bike without touching the throttle.

I have a light kit on mine so I have a master power switch and I just used that for the ignition.

and the

Air Bypass EFI Adjustment
    2 ΒΌ turns out for a TE511 (+/- 1/8th of a turn) should put the minimum air bypass back in range.
    It is the only screw on the throttle body that should, or can, be touched without major drama.
    If the screw is too far out it will keep the idle from settling and push you into a corner like having the throttle open a bit.

problem solved the bike ran so much better it was unbelievable. Now it likes to get hot and stall at low revs but, I have been told that is endemic and I just need to get a JD tuner to fatten up the fuel curve.
  20. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

is the air by pass the same for the powered up te 449 mine is 3 turns out