1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Newbie To Wr300, Things Already Learned

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wait4me, Feb 4, 2012.

1. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    Hi guys, purchased an 11 wr300 in October of 2012 and have had quite the learning experience. First of all, for fast desert riding, I don't like the stock (gay) needle. Bike seized first weekend out. I got it to survive with that needle on position #5, but after working with some other needles, my opinion is that the gay needle sucks. Now with it properly jetted HOLY COW this bike is fast. I am almost thinking I should have gotten the 144 (almost ;)) Be careful how the hose clamps are positioned on the radiator hoses under front left of gas tank. They can be put on wrong and dig into gas tank (dealer did that). The bolts for the motor mount bracket from head to frame needs to have the nuts on the right side or will dig into tank (me) I finally figured out how to adjust the rebound on the shock by myself. Run a tie down from rear grab handle to sprocket, lay across bike and while pulling on swing arm, pull on tie down. That exposes the adjuster. Coming off a Kawi 450 with KYB forks I thought I new how to adjust them, I am a dork, never assume, thanks to George at Uptite for setting me straight. The Kawi and Husky adjusters are reversed. Thanks for all the other tips I have learned here in the Cafe. Some of this is probably old hat to some of you but I have seen some other newbies in here. Keep smokin!
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats on your 300!
  3. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    so what jetting are u running now and what needle????
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    That's what I was wondering, too.
  5. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    +3 on what jetting?

Even though I'm on a 250... so far the GAY needle is the best one I've tried but I still tuning.
  6. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    I have been working with JD jetting. I asked but he has not gotten enough info to start selling kits for the newer bikes just yet. I am sure the gay needle would work fine at altitude or for the single track and tree running guys, but I ride mostly in the desert on fast two track trails and sand washes (the washes are fast, not me) and the stock needle was too lean for my taste. I am also tuning to run on pump gas so a little rich is ok for me. I will let every one know when he is ready to sell the kits. I have been changing so many pilot jets, main jets, needle jets, needles and needle positions that I wish I could put it together with velcro. I am really close to coming up with the perfect set up my my taste and riding conditions.
    TROFFER88 likes this.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I rode my new bike today. It is jetted so lean that I can barely get it to start, let alone run properly off the low end, and I was riding at 3500 ft elevation.:(
  8. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, but which needle do you use now? You have obviously changed to another one:=). Personally i liked the 6DEY15-74 in my Mikuni before i saw the light and bought a Keihin.

Johnny
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    wow wait4me you mastered time travel-tell us what the 2013 models are like future guy! nice choice mate go the 3 hungey! :)
  10. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    Oh well, so much for proof reading. But who knows, maybe I'll buy another one this year. :cheers:
    shawbagga likes this.
  11. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    I am running a needle and needle jet that jd jetting sent me. I don't have any part #'s. But keep in mind, I am running a different needle this weekend than last. Trying to give James all the info I can. After he tries to make sense out of all my ramblings, (sound effects included) he will try and put a kit together. Even though I have found a combo that I like I am still testing other combo's to try and help out.
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    On my 250 I had a combo that I was very happy with until I smashed the stock pipe and got a Gnarly. Now I've just about started over but when finished will end up with more top and a smoother mid.

wait4me, what is the combo you like the best so far?
  13. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"

I can't tell anybody what my favorite is because I don't know what the pieces are. James at JD jetting has been sending me parts, but they are from different bikes. I am trying to help him come up with a kit for the 09 and newer wr 250/300's.
  14. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Johnny I noticed that needle 6dey15-74 has the same diameter as the 6bfy43-74. How do the tapered sections compare to each other and what bike did it originally come on?
  15. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi! Number 6 indicates a TMX carb. Then the digits indicates the taper of the needle, and as these needles have 3 digits it' a triple tapered needle. A is leanest, B is little richer, C richer than B and so on. The las two numbers, 74 is the thicknes of the needle at the base, 2,74mm. A lot of the light bluddeer dissapeared on my 300 when i changed to the DEY.

Johnny
  16. WoodsRiderParts Husqvarna
    B Class

On my 09 WR250, I spent a lot of time on the TMX carb. Although I was able to get the bike to run decent, I called JD Jetting and talked to James about my issue with the TMX carb, jetting properly, and a constantly overflowing float bowl. I decided to try the Airstryker carb with the JD Jetting Jet Kit already installed. Holy S*%t it made a big difference in power across the board. I run mine a bit rich but regardless the bike runs flawlessly now.