NEWS: OUTSTANDING SALES RESULTS IN 2008 - BMW and HUSQVARNA!

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by BlipBlip!, Jan 22, 2009.

1. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

OUTSTANDING SALES RESULTS IN 2008 - BMW and HUSQVARNA - BMW MOTORRAD ASSERTS ITSELF IN TOUGH MARKET CONDITIONS - SIGNIFICANT GROWTH FOR HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLES

Munich. In tough market conditions, BMW Motorrad has been able to follow up on its record sales of the previous year. In 2008, 101,685 (previous year: 102,467 units) BMW motorcycles were delivered to customers – a slight drop of 0.8%. Clear growth signals were shown especially in the second half of the year. In December, sales were even 9.3% above the level of the previous year at 7,457 units (previous year: 6,821 units).

Despite a decline in motorcycle markets in general, BMW Motorrad saw clear increases in sales in the European markets of Italy, France, Great Britain/Ireland, Switzerland, Austria, Greece and Poland as well as Latin America and South Africa amongst others. As a result of the ongoing product offensive, the blue-and-white brand was able to assert itself impressively in the other export markets and in some cases significantly increase market shares.

In Germany, the biggest single market for BMW Motorrad, a total of 18,112 BMW motorcycles were newly registered (previous year: 22,065 units), a decline of 17.9%. Nonetheless BMW Motorrad was able to maintain market leadership in the overall market, which once again declined (minus 8.8 %), as well as in the segment of motorcycles over 500 cc. The BMW share of the total market as of December was 17.3% (previous year: 19.2%), in the segment over 500 cc the market share was 18.1% (previous year: 20.4%).

As in the previous year, the second biggest market for BMW Motorrad was Italy. 15,342 BMW motorcycles (previous year: 14,533 units) were newly registered, an increase of 5.6%. In the Italian market as a whole, in which there was a general decline (total market: minus 8.6%), BMW not only recorded an increase in registrations but was also able to expand its market share to 11.2 % (previous year: 9.7%).

In the USA too, BMW Motorrad’s third largest market, the total market declined by 4.6 %. Nonetheless 0.6% more BMW motorcycles were registered by customers than in the previous year, with total sales of 11,839 units (previous year: 11,768 units); at the same time the BMW Motorrad market share increased from 1.7% to 1.8%.

Registrations and market share developments in other markets

Development of total market
    BMW Motorrad
    Registrations
    BMW Motorrad market share

Spain
    20.4%
    10,152 units
    (previous year:10,384 units)
    9.0%
    (previous year: 7.3%)

France
    3.0 %
    8,019 units
    (previous year: 7,590 units)
    7.7%
    (previous year: 7.1%)

UK
    5.8%
    5,850 units
    (previous year: 5,100 units)
    8.3%
    (previous year: (6.8%)

South Africa
    - 8.1%
    3,313 units
    (previous year: 2,762 units)
    12.8%
    (previous year: (9.8%)

The most successful model overall in 2008 was once again the travel enduro BMW R 1200 GS (22,845 units) followed by its sibling model, the R 1200 GS Adventure (12,460 units). As compared to the previous year, 2,298 more units of the R 1200 GS were delivered to customers, while sales of the Adventure were 2,930 units above the previous year.

It was followed in third place by the touring bike R 1200 RT with 11,001 motorcycles delivered.

The F enduro models, not available until March 2008 (autumn 2008: market launch of the F 800 GS overseas), also became sales hits. The F 800 GS achieved sales of 10,261 units, while the F 650 GS achieved 9,644 units and came fifth in the popularity ranking of BMW motorcycles.

Husqvarna Motorcycles grows by about a third.

Husqvarna Motorcycles, the second motorcycle brand of the BMW Group, grew significantly in 2008. The oldest motorcycle brand in the world still in active production delivered 13,511 motorcycles in its first year after being taken over by the BMW Group, a plus of 31% as compared to the previous year. Growth stimuli here came mainly from overseas markets.

BMW Motorrad – the prospects for 2009.

The model range of BMW Motorrad is broader than ever in 2009. In the worlds of experience Enduro, Tour, Urban, Sport and HP there are fascinating motorcycles to meet virtually every taste. The program is complemented with an extensive range of accessories and rider equipment.

As of February, the model revision of the BMW K series will be available to customers – the K 1300 S and K 1300 GT.

The 2009 season will also see BMW Motorrad’s entry into the segment of super sports bikes. The BMW S 1000 RR will enter the Superbike World Championship, the most important racing series for motorcycles close to serial production. The market launch of the standard model will take place later on in the year.

The second racing highlight of the year is BMW’s involvement in the sports enduro area. The BMW Motorrad Motorsport Off-Road Team will enter the World Enduro Championship with the G 450 X, as well as taking part in national and international cross country championships.
  2. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

13,511 Huskys sold in '08 at a stated growth rate of 31%.
    9,322 Huskys sold in '07 (?)

Anyone know what percentage go to the USA? I would guess 25-35% but its only a guess.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Excellent news. Development will continue if profit is realized.

Wheres my freaking WR200?
  4. scoobywrx05 Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm thinking it probably is in that 25 to 35% range. I'll do some asking around and see if I cant find out the exact number for this last year.
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Quote: Growth stimuli here came mainly from overseas markets.

I think that means the USA.
  6. Nielly Husqvarna

I could be wrong but I think if there was a 31% increase from last year (07) to 13511 in 08 then 07 sales would be 10,313. The sales results are excellent considering the current situation. Look at the headline for Harley today - sales down 30% laying off workers and closing plants. It could be a bit of luck though too as the overall numbers for Husky are a lot lower in aggregate and they probably get all or most of those sales early in the year. The shit didn't hit the fan here until September-ish. Hopefully things get better and they can keep the momentum.
  7. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

No, i could be wrong! :)

Good point about the sales being early in the year. Husky dealers didnt have bikes for part of '07 when they arrived late, then sold out of some models, and for much of '08 when they couldnt get bikes from US distribution in key states (like California) for nearly 6 months! Sales numbers could (and should) have been considerably higher in the USA. Sadly the '09 bikes are also way behind in terms of delivery dates to the showroom floors, and Husky has again lost potential market share in the USA.

Even with these hiccups in the USA sales growth has been awesome.
  8. huskynw Husqvarna
    AA Class

The US import over the last 3 years has been 2800-3000 units per year.