Nice technical ride Oregon Coast range...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Motosportz, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did 60 miles of tight single track technical stuff in the Oregon Coast range this weekend. Was a real good rip.

this is my old crappy gopro. This footage is a little boring as it is a long down hill but gives you an idea how steep and cliffy the area is and the down tress, branches and stuff to deal with. Not hard but keeps you on your toes.

Will post more soon.

2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    another one...

huskybear likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  5. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I haven't watched them yet, but I can tell that first vid is of Payne trail. I rode that last week and it was KILLER!
    TSF is just killing it right now with awesome new stuff popping up all over the place. Loving it
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    you missed a really good ride. That is not Payne, thats about the only trail we did not due as we ran out of light and Brian out of gas that was Pumpkin patch.
    JonXX likes this.
  7. Dana44 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Love the smell of 2 stroke and Cedar in the morning.
    Thx for posting those vids. Grew up in Astoria and have fond memories of riding in that area.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

there is actually a semi new ride area developing out side of Astoria called Nickoli Mt. Is is kinda sucky quad crap right now but lots of development happening.
  9. Dana44 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Good to know. I'll be down there soon to ride some laps at Bayfront and see whats still open around Saddle Mtn. I'll ask some local riding buddies about Nickoli Mt trails.

Glad to hear responsible riding is making a comeback in the area.

It got pretty ugly in Clastsop County back in the early 90's when 3 wheelers and quads started widening all the local motorcyle trails.
    The old growth trails quickly turned to mud bogs and clay hill climbs so DNR just came in and shut it all down to everyone.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A guy name Dave Hiatt who did some amazing work in Seattle area moved down here and works for Tillamook Forestry now and has simply kicked ass. I had all but given up on riding this area i had ridden from when i was a kid. Dave came in a few years ago and now the place is amazing. there are others that help but this guy is whom we have to thank for the resurgence of amazing trails. the guy has been relentless and i find new trails or upgraded reclaimed trails everywhere. it is awesome.
    Coffee likes this.
  11. Sceep Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '94 st1100
    It is refreshing to hear this from other areas around the country. I'm a volunteer with my local ranger station and i must say that our new trails manager, Kerry Woods, a transplant from colorado, is similar. he is very much on the motorized access side, and is continually re-opening, upgrading, and making new trails. as well as adding legit trail signage to help all users know what is legal and what isnt.

we need more folks like these two in these type of positions.
    ray_ray likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    sure do. Dave is not young and not sure how much longer he will be here. Hope his position gets filled with someone half as good as him when he leaves.
  13. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    He is helping all out here, which is good for the sport/s. Taking some of the single track we had and making it quad width (doesn't sound good, but it is)
    Taking old single track, and reclaiming it, making it better. He also puts mini enduro-cross obstacles at some of the trailheads to keep quads, and lesser experienced people off the trails.
    He is putting in NEW singletrack, and lots of it.

Progression of the Tillamook State Forrest:
    single track, gets blown to two track
    two track gets blown to jeep trail
    new single track goes in
  14. Dana44 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Oh man, the trails in the Tillamook State Forest at browns Camp ORV are some of the cleanest and most well organized I've ever had the pleasure of riding on.

We spent 3 days in Jeeps and 2 days on bikes there last summer and I still hadn't even scratched the surface of all the trails to explore.
    Up and down Fire break 5 trail alone kept us busy for a full day. It was obvious which trails were for jeeps, quads and bikes. Everyone there seemed to respect it.
    Well marked, groomed trails with good drainage.
    One of the things that really impressed me is people riding at Browns use trail hand signals. Quads and bikes alike. Jeeps all use CB's at trail heads and the base of hill climbs.

We've done countless trail clean ups and work partys in the local ORV parks here in WA, Walker, Evans, Elbe, Tahuya, Reiter, etc. I've probobly worked with Dave at some point.
    Despite the bad rap Jeeps and buggys have many of us really do try hard to keep the trails clean and open.
    I was at Elbe Hills ORV yesterday picking up beer cans and shotgun shells in the snow.
    Between the folks claiming every puddle is a salmon habitat and the kids dumping stolen hondas and setting them on fire it's a constant uphill battle to keep the ORV trails open in WA.

Really glad to hear Oregon trails are getting the attention they deserve. I grew up there and plan to return and spend my retirement riding trails in my old stomping grounds.
    ray_ray and Blakelpd5 like this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Reiter - I rode there a few times before they closed it down and what a bunch of ass hats there ruining it for everyone. Was some killer very technical trails there.
  16. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    For sure that is a plus! It is always nice to know if guy you just passed has others in his group behind him! This should be universal EVERYWHERE

The TSF is very, very clean for all the use it gets... That is nice as well. It really bugs me when I'm riding, and you just come upon someones dump-site. That will shut it down quicker than anything. People use it for a dump, and others see ORV's in the area, and relate the two.. :(
  17. Josh Feller Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    go to nicolai, dont waste your time at gay front! or your bearings/sprockets/seals
  18. Josh Feller Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    spent alot of time at reiter, had little or nothing to do with 4x4's they were also helping in the fights, clean ups, conservation. had more to do with the dregs of society dumping stolen cars and dead bodies out there I think the death blow for reiter was when somebody pushed a car off index wall!
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good to hear. The few times i rode there is seemed like lots of guys ion 4wd's doing really stupid stuff like roosting cars int he parking lot and driving thier rigs drunk into areas they should not be.

WTF? :eek: Isn't there a highway at the bottom of the cliff? Probably further away than a car could make it but still, how freaking stupid is that
  20. Josh Feller Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    nope, not at the bottom but rock climbers use that wall all the time. There are always a few bad apples, but in general the 4x4 advocates are friends not foes and if were are going to win land use rights we need a united front because the sierra club does not care if you dont go muddin, they want no noise, pollution, tires, or people in the areas they "own"