1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Night riding and lighting

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by lankydoug, Jul 25, 2012.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Last summer here in central MO it rained two or three times a week so this spring I mounted a good knobby to motivate in the greasy clay... I was prepared

This summer it has been the driest year since the 1930s and also temps in the 100s until after dark. I got to thinking about buying a good lighting system and riding at night when it is much cooler. I'm told my WR250 has a 55 amp stator so it should handle a pretty bright light. The factory bulb would get you out of the woods @ about 10mph but actual riding would be suicide.

I'm stir crazy from lack of riding and I'm pretty sure that buying a good lighting system would either bring rain or some relief from riding withdrawal. I'm trying to decide if I should wait out the heat or drop some coin on lights. Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.
  2. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Please buy a light and stop the drought! :thumbsup:

Get a good light on your Husky like I did (Baja Designs H4/PIAA bulb) and enjoy the dirt with the ability to go go fast as you like as you can see if someone is coming the other way. I could ride up to about 40mph with the stock light before I out ran the glow.
  3. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trailtech helmet lights plus the halogen x2
    marcmo0, jmetteer and ohmygewd like this.
  4. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I didn't know I could get just the bulb and put it in the stock light. Did you put a switch in the circuit to shut it off? I run with my light on all the time now.
  5. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    TROffer88 is spot on the helmet light as l regularly ride at night on boys riding weekends and it's quite an experience riding trails in the dark especially when you are descending down a rocky trail and the bike stalls...the term 'shitting myself' really springs to mine!!
    I run a BA20d 35/35W bulb on Polisport headlight and l'm sure you can get a 45/45W bulb.

I might go down the path of trying a CREE LED in a BA20d light bulb...if you can go a headlight with CREE LED's like the Baja Design unit then go for it as your stator will love ya!!
  6. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My CR 125 has a light set up and only puts out 35 watts So your WR 250 would be even better.

What I did was Since I had the stator rewound and got 35 watts I purchased a Rigid Industries
    light which only pulls 26 watts It was bright enought that I have won a few Night races with it.
    So you could get a bigger light for the 250. Then I mounted a Stock battery holder from a 2006 TE
    fits right in no bolts needed.The Earth X battery only weigh a few ounces.So now at a idle the light is still bright.Some times the home made stuff works better then the stuff off the shelf
  7. colemanapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've been using a Nite Rider from REI in addition to the light on my bike (switched to 45w bulb, made a small difference on my 450 but that 360 still seems dark). Nite rider lasts about 3 hours. I just duct taped the light under my visor. It really makes you focus on the trail. Without the nite rider, I couldn't get the bikes going fast enough in the slow stuff to keep them from overheating at night.
  8. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Another vote for the trailtech LED setup, the single LED is good enough for trail riding by its self. The dual setup makes things even nicer, I have both... And a MR16 HID. The MR16 still is a bit brighter but you cant beat the battery life of the LED's.

Helmet light is more important than bike light in my opinion, especially for trails. I have the 8" trailtech HID, it rules! It is almost too bright on the trails, with that and the helmet lights you can pretty much ride like it is daytime.

Later,
    ohmygewd and marcmo0 like this.
  9. BCdirtbikegal Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 KTM sx50 jr, 08 pw50
    I have done night races using a Cyclops HID helmet light that I borrowed, it was really bright and didn't need to run a bike light. Not cheap though, $345 I think with the battery pack.
  10. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I replace my whole headlight with the BD, as the stock bulb was not an H4. I thought the '09 and later bikes had a H4 bulb. Maybe a PIAA or similar bulb with a better/white light color could work, more near 5000k.
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
  12. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    You really dont need a light onthe bike itself. Get a good set of quality helmet lights! I have a couple of HID lights that strap onto my helmet. You have light everywhere you look. The disadvantage of a bike only light is that the bike isnt always pointed where you need to look. A combo is best, but if you can only get one covered, go for the helmet. We ride quite a bit and its awesome. My lights are old now and new tech you can get brighter and lighter setups with longer battery life.
    BCdirtbikegal and jmetteer like this.
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    That sounds like good advise plus it would also work for my mountain bike or my trials bike. What system would you recommend?
  14. Kyspeedfactory Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    I personally agree that the helmet light is VERY important...I have an OLD 8" BD HID light and I still flick the switch off here and there with a branch...

I thought it was so bright you didnt need it....but just as in the daytime you are looking ahead and not exactly where the bike is...thru the trees or around a corner.... you still need a bike light even if it is a cheapo light....
  15. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Tusk makes a new high output led at a reasonable price. The youtube video shows it to be bright.
  16. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I have 2 Light & Motion lights. They are both HID and throw a lot of light. I have ridden all my bikes with these two lights, no bike light just helmet lights, all over. Slickrock trail, singletrack, wide open desert. They work great. All the way up to WFO on the 300 in a desert wash. And this is at like 11pm...and much later. I have had them since 2006, so not sure what the latest and greatest is these days. I know that the Light & Motion rep was telling me the LED stuff now is just as bright or brighter, smaller, lighter and less expensive. I will say that a good quality light, is going to cost you some money. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to lighting. These both set me back about $350 a piece if I recall.

Like I said though, having helmet lights and bike light is best. However if you can get only one setup, helmet lights are the way to go. In my opinion.
    With the WR its nice because even the stocker, while not bright, helps a little. And at the very least, will get you back to the truck if stuck out after dark.
    lankydoug likes this.