no power full throttle

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by zupa, Aug 11, 2010.

1. zupa Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just installed a PCV and autotune on my husky 2009 510 SMR and for some reason I lose all power when cranking the throttle wide open. Even at 3/4 throttle it gets iffy.

Is this normal to happen when just installing the PC/autotune? So far i rode a good 5 hours on the street but this problem has been really annoying, anyone have any ideas on what it could possibly be?
  2. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Zupa, I don't know the answer to your question but I've also got a 510 on an 09 plate and is fitted with PU kit though still standard pipes. What does me is the lengths we folk have to go to to sort these bikes - most bikes - into the machines thy're meant to be JUST to get around the friggin ridiculous EU/US emissions crap. The Icelandic volcano is still spewing more shit into the air than my bike ever will if I rode it flat out for the next ten thousand years. Yes, all scientifically verified by NASA of course.. I'm hoping just to take mine to the dyno and get it run up and get the O2 levels good to run not lean and responsive across the range. At MY expense! I mean the amount of raw materials and carbon footprint blah blah that goes into researching/making all this aftermarket stuff, for the emissions that bikes produce for the limited amount of time they're on the road v cars/trucks etc they should be 90% emissions exempt from the factory and ready to roll. Sorry for the rant dude. Just fed up with seeing so many guys struggling to sort hard earned machines with yet more hard earned..

Out :banghead:
  3. zupa Husqvarna
    AA Class

update:

I took everything off and went back to stock setup, everything worked fine. Next I only connected the PCV and again, everything seemed fine with the throttle (no power loss). Next I connected the PCV and Autotune and I got the throttle problem again.

So I've narrowed it down to something to do with the autotune
  4. sEvOn Husqvarna
    A Class

If by "lose all power", you mean it misfires/stumbles then it could be:

-too rich or too lean of a target A/F ratio on the PC software
    -too large of a correction allowance

Try loading a target A/F table with all zero's to see if that changes things (it should run exactly as it did when stock). If that solves the problem then it's probably one of the above issues.
  5. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you put the CAN plug in the open slot in the Autotune, right next to the cable that connects the Autotune to the PC-V?

Did you enable the Autotune in the PC software. Most people use the 30 second default before it starts working.

It's important to calibrate the TPS (Throttle Position) in the software. Mike should be warmed up and running.

Next you should upload the base map for your bike. Gives the Autotune a baseline to start from.

If that is still giving you problems then you need to test the O2 Sensor:

O2 sensor test
    • The Autotune kit has a built in circuit which allows you to test the sensor accuracy and condition.
    • Remove the sensor from the exhaust system and hold in ambient air.
    • Verify the Autotune kit has been powered up for at least 1 minute.
    • Press and hold the function button on the front of the corresponding Auto tune kit for 3 seconds and release the button.
    • The LED light will blink rapidly, pause for a moment, and then begin to flash.
    • Count the number of flashes and refer to the chart.

Also make sure you are getting an AFR reading in the software when the Laptop is connected to the bike and it is running:

Should look something like this:

[IMG]

You can see my AFR is a bit high 13.97 at idle. I have since fattened it up a bit.
  6. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

How is your bike set up. Have you done the full power-up or is it still stock.
  7. zupa Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks for the replies

My bike has the powerup kit, for 09 it isnt much tho.

Autotune is enabled in PC software and I just calibrated TPS (after I do this do I have to click "send map" for it to take effect?). CAN plug is in unused slot of autotune.

I uploaded the base map, all items are 0's, not sure if that is correct. My autotune constantly has a red lite on that sometimes blinks.

I saw my AFR is @ 9.99. Duty % is 6

will have to ride more tomorrow to see if things changed
  8. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

There are two maps from PC: one is the Zero map, the other is the power-up map. You should use the second one.

The TPS get saved when you hit OK/Confirm after calibration.
  9. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

I believe that it reporting 9.99 for AFR means that it is not working correctly. I would check the wiring for the AT and O2 sensor. Something is definitely still not right.
  10. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Once loaded up the PC power-up map should look like this:

[IMG]

These are the adjustments Autotune makes after a ride.

NOTE: The adjustments in the table below are for a bike runing @ 7000ft, so yours should be a bit different, not as many lean adjustments. (Negative # = lean / Positive # + rich)

[IMG]

[IMG]

I ended up making the idle setting a bit richer by adding 5 to all the 0 TPS cells between 1000 & 2000 RPMs.
  11. zupa Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks dan I will reference this once everything is working right

Okay been working on this a bit today and have an update

I read in another thread that a blinking led light on the autotune means that is not getting a constant 12v. Knowing this I connected the red power wire from the autotune directly to the battery, and the blinking stopped, went out for a ride, everything was finally working the way it should.

I then reconnected the red autotune power wire to the posi tap that came with the kit that is attached to the orange/black ECU harness wire. Low and behold the autotune started to blink again, so i;m not getting a solid connection from the orange/black wire for some reason. Is there any other place I can connect the autotunes power wire in hopes of getting a better connecton?
  12. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

No! The red autotune power wire is for POWER. The ECU tap is for the PCV throttle position sensor. You have to connect the red autotune power wire to switched +12VDC power. Black autotune wire is ground. PCV TPS tap goes to the ECU, and mine came with a 3M crimp connector with spade terminal like the PCIII even though the PCV manual with mine said it should have a posi tap connector. Connect to gray wire from PCV.

Here is a link to the PCV install manual for '09 510. http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/23-004/install/pcv/eng23-004.pdf

Here is a link to the AT-200 manual. http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/UserGuides/AT200/AT-200.pdf

Hang in there. You're only a couple of connections away from having it working as intended. My first cut wasn't quite right either.
  13. zupa Husqvarna
    AA Class

okay where do you recommend I connect the red power wire on the autotune?
  14. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class