No SEL1 / SEL2 with O2 sensor installed? & Install O2 yes or no?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by cjard, Mar 28, 2012.

1. cjard Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Quick Q re my 2009 TE310..

When I bought my bike, it would say SEL1 on screen when I turned it on. It has throttle stop restrictor removed, O2 sens removed, muffler baffle removed

I re wired the horn switch to act as the map switch - bike had no horn anyway, and after the bike was warm I could select SEL2. Did seem to make a difference to running; cruise wasnt quite so surging and there was less popping and banging from th exhaust. I did have a suspicion that the bike had been tweaked too lean by the previous owner - there's never even the slightest hint of soot in the muffler end, though I havent checked the plug

Some time later, the bike statred saying SEL2 FAIL SEL1 upon key-on. It seemed to select SEL2 fine still when running, though not sure if it was as effective.. I perceived it to be more poppy and bangy

I put the O2 sensor and muffler insert (dbkiller) that I got with the bike, back into the system. I noted upon switch on that the bike first said only SEL2.. Then later after a few runs and on/off cycles it wouldnt mention SEL at all. The SEL toggle switch had no effect whien riding - hold it for 5 seconds but nothing would show no matter how warm the bike was, if the O2 sensor was installed

It still didnt run as smoothly or nicely as my wr250x EFI.. it's got more oomph, for sure, but it surges on cruise and occasionally pops on overrun.

I removed the O2 sensor but left the muffler baffle (db killer) in and after a short run it does seem to be smoother and less poppy this way..

So, does the O2 sensor kill the SELx maps? Should I run the bike with or without the sensor? The "surging cruise" is that a fuelling issue? Should I buy iBeat and connect it up to take a look whether it's a bit lean? I've actually got a standalone O2 sensor with gauge that I can plug in to visually check the mixture, but really I was hoping that the bike ECU would do this with the addition of the husky O2 sensor..

Thanks guys
  2. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/sel-1-sel2.19267/#post-168063

There is the "stock mode/epa dot map" with landa sensor hooked up- in this mode your landa (a narrow band o2) works with the ECU and tries to trim fuel- in this mode you will run lean and will have hesitation and other "performance problems" YOU CANNOT GO INTO SEL1 OR SEL2 FORM THE "MODE".

Then there is "Power Up/ Race Mode"- which is sel1- this is with the PU Plug in place of the Lambda/O2 sensor. This mode is allows you to switch to sel2 with the "map switch". The difference between sel1 and sel2 are in the ignition-not fuleing. SO any symptoms you identify with may seem related to fueling are only conicidence or due to the ignition map difference. I have the switch and never use sel 2.

Put the bike and PU mode and judge the fueling from sel 1- if it appears to need tuning- hooking up to IBEAT and sorting it out can help a great deal. Having Ibeat is very conveinient if you don't have a dealer nearby. Ibeat tuning is limited to 3 parts or sections of the map- not as complex or accurate as the JD or PCV- but you can get it pretty close in many cases where you may not feel it necessary to tune further- Depends on the bike, how sucessfull you are with Ibeat, and what your expectations/needs are.