1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Noob CR125/144 question

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Runner, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    I have not owned a two stroke in many years and considering a new CR125/144 to start MX training on. Perhaps some of the bean oil sniffers can answer a few questions:
    • Does the bike load-up when casually trail riding like my old smokers?
    • Is the bike a good choice to learn MX on?
    • Is it more fun then grief?
    • If I'm going to use it for MX training, not racing, and plenty of trail riding, is it the right choice, or would a WR125/144 be better?
    • Should I sell the 144 kit for either the CR/WR and go straight to the WB165 kit as a play bike?
    Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:
  2. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I'm sure many others will chime in here but I will answer your questions in order: not when jetted correctly-get the lectron carb(works awesome),I'm sure it's great-many people on this forum ride mx with them,definately yes!, I have a wr144 and ride single-track-can't stop smiling-many think the cr is great for that also, I think the wb165 kit is awesome and may go that route eventually but love mine as a 144. Buy one! I have had many bikes both 2 and 4 stroke over the years and this is definately my favorite(my husaberg fe450 just sits and collects dust now):cheers:
    john01 and Runner like this.
  3. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Go with the CR144. Mine started out as a WR125/144 and then the CDI went out and I installed a CR ignition. Woo-hoo! Much better throttle response. The stock carb will work OK if you jet it properly. Mainly it's about the richer Suzuki needle. A step up from that is to send the carb to Ron at RB Designs and have him do his magic. He will install a divider plate, bore it to 39mm and revamp the idle circuit for a very good price. It will make the bike hit way sooner and harder than before. For a bit more money get the Lectron carb and forget about ever jetting the carb again. The bike when setup or jetted properly will not load up and is more fun than my other bikes. I would recommend riding a WB165 before buying the kit. I know others think it is great, but I didn't like it at all. For motocross I would also recommend the Scalvini pipe that I run. The bottom end is pretty much the same as the stock pipe and then from mid to top it hits very hard and never seems to run out of roost. :banana:
    Runner likes this.
  4. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    Your coming from a TE 510 that has a beefy of the line low rpm torque
    a twist of the throttle to abrupt and it put the bike in front tire conserving mode.

the WR or CR 125 is a different animal

it is lighter and that makes it that you can plant it everywhere with ease
    Its a small bore4 2 stroke that means you have to rev it to get going
    it s power delivery is peaky in comparing with a 4 stroke
    it will punish you on your driving errors with not having the power (like miss shifting) ones out of the power band
    the 165 kit makes the power curve more flatter and adds power everywhere (equals to a easier ride ability in comparing with a 125 trim)

the 125 can be ridden as quick as a bigger bike by us average joe's (top level competition is different story but we are not on that level anyway)

WR or CR
    what do you want to do
    if it is more MX then trail get the CR
    if it is more trails then MX get the WR

125/144/165

the difference between the 125 and the 144 is in my opinion not that big in the way it delivers the power it is probably only more in the whole RPM range

so if you are a a heavy build person i would say get the 144 as it would be easier to lugs you around

the 165 with the fatty pipe alters the way of the power curve considerably
    very well liked on the trails if you ask me nice build up of tractable power but it could be that on an MX track you want to have a more explosive delivery, especial for jumps
    then you have to look more in a different pipe for the 165 and it could be that some custom porting could help out (wally (the birth father of the 165 KIT) is the person to ask regarding this parameter)

as last
    You will smile when you hear the engine build up to a screaming rpm and the power rush kicks in (and it is addictive)

the only 4 stroke that come a bit close to that is my street bike with variable cam timing
    it behaves a bit like a 2 stroke like 7000 rpm and suddenly some power gates are set open but still no substitute for a 2 stroke

Robert-jan
    Runner likes this.
  5. bsh7680 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 PW 50, 08 KTM 50 JR Pro
    Get the CR and put on the 144 kit and you will love it on the trails. The suspension on my 2012 CR 144 works great for the woods. The jetting is a little fun to deal with, but with a little work you can get the stock Mikuni to work. I have no experience with the lectron, but am thinking about trying one. Just get this bike and see the smile on your face while you are riding!
    Treesmacker and Runner like this.
  6. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    You should start by looking to see if any are still for sale with the new price.
    sabortooth likes this.