NorCal Mem wknd plans ?

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Jerulator, May 27, 2010.

1. Jerulator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone going for a 2-3 day weekend ride this Memorial day weekend ? I just found out today that I have all 3 days to myself so naturally I want to go riding. Problem is such short notice I don't know where to go. Hollister will be a zoo, metcalf is too small. I'm thinking either Stonyford, MC, or possibly Moonrocks/ hungy valley. Is anyone out there going somewhere I could tag along or meet up with ? BTW I'm in San Jose.
    Jerry
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Dunno... The more well known places will indeed be a zoo. I'm really not up for a 2 night stay at Stony over a holiday weekend, which is about the minimum for that distance (for my taste).

Let me think about it. :)
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ok, I've thought about it. Lets see what the weather is tomorrow.
  4. oregontrail Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 350 XC-f
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 Buell X1 Lightning, 2004 KDX220
  5. Jerulator Husqvarna
    AA Class

The weather is looking good. Let me know Dean, I'd like to go to Stonyford for an over night trip. Leave Saturday, camp out the night and go for 1 or 2 major loops and call it good.

6. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I am about 2 hours away from Stonyford. I could be up for driving over for a day ride?
  7. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Not this weekend. But through out the rest of the year, I plan to take some trips to Stoneyford. I would like to meet up and learn some of the loops. Also, Forrest Hill
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I called. The entire park has potable water issues, apparently most campsites do not have water.

Davis flats is $5? to camp/park now, Mill Valley is $10/night, is under construction and are advising people to camp elsewhere - neither place has water.

Cedar camp, green flat, and Old Mill are still free - vault toilets, no running water.

I will camp at Old Mill if possible, it will be a busy weekend. 4dr silver Tacoma with cafe husky sticker in the back window. I will be checking for vmail at about 930am each day from atop Springs Ridge.

The question is, "when" will I be leaving. Depending on traffic, and how long it takes to get ready, possibly this afternoon. Otherwise in the morning.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I sent you my phone #. Keep in mind I ride like an old man because, well, I am :oldman:

You 2/3 might want to consider going on the fast stuff without me.
  10. Jerulator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dean,
    I pm'd you with my cell number. Here is my plan (it ain't much :D), Leaving San Jose tomorrow morning at 9 am. Stop in Vacaville to chew on Dan and Annes ears for an hour at MotoXotica, leave there and arrive at Stonyford area appx 1-3 pm setup camp and relax. Maybe a short afternoon putt-putt ride. Vehicle is an 89 Ford Clubwagon (brown/tan) with rail trailer and old TC450 in tow. Will look for you Dean although I don't know where the campsites that you mentioned are, I will find them. I know where Davis Flats is and thats about it ! :applause: See ya out there
    Jerry
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Got your vmail and PM.

To get to Old Mill:
    At the very top of the hill before beginning the descent into the valley there is an intersection of M10 (the road you would be on) and M5. Take M5 to the left. About 5 miles down on the right is Old Mill.

A dusty, silty, rocky, non-level camp site. Good stuff. I doubt I'll bring firewood but fires are allowed.

As opposed to paying $ to camp in a parking lot (Davis flats) which has no water, with dozens of little kids going around in circles with uber loud pipes. :doh:

dialing now...
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    And I'm still not out the door. :doh:

Best guess is early afternoon tomorrow to get there, hopefully there will be a place to camp somewhere. I believe there is 50,000 acres to choose from.

Always something happening I need to take care of...
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Leaving now, targeting 3pm.

In addition, I will call with updates.
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Forgot about this thread :doh:

Had a great time! No one else showed up for a variety of reasons but that was ok. I got to ride where & when I wanted and took full advantage of that.

There were several places I've been wanting to see for quite a while. One of them was the long road leading out of the Davis flats area along the river. Actually 'road' is a bit generous, but no problem with the bike. It circles around the east side of the Snow Mountain wilderness, into the next county outside of Stonyford, and comes out onto the main paved road about 4 miles north of the town of Stonyford.

I went to the little store and was tempted to buy bug spray, but they had no bug spray & I must have lost my 'cash stash' from my backpack somewhere out on the trail while trying to read the map. :p

Then back to camp for food & fuel. Then up the hills almost to Upper Lake district, through some of the few remaining trails/roads with snow on them and downed trees, then circled around above Letts lake. I found a small residential area along the way where the rangers where having their Memorial day feast. :) I did get many of them looking at me as I slowly road by because that area needed a license plate.

Then towards Indian Valley direction - checking out Cedar & Green flat campgrounds, and for once actually finding 'Wilson camp' which has no sign designating it's location. :confused:

I thought about taking trail 01 (Lovely Lady ridge) to the back side of the Frenzel wilderness and down to Little Stony... but I was getting a bit tired.

On the way back to camp I almost hit a couple of black tail deer. Everything in slow motion because I as so tired. Grabbed handful of front brake... no that was not the right thing to do. Twisted throttle... no that really was not the right thing to do. Brought in the clutch and used both brakes gently - that was it! All that happened in a split second.

Got back to camp and my legs were so rubbery I could no longer stand. :doh:

I decided to not ride on Monday because I was still too tired. :)

It was a great trip :thumbsup:

PS: the streams were running & full! Many people were fishing, I don't know how well they were doing.

Special Kudos to Pivot Pegs, without them I would only be able to do 2/3 of those miles. Awesome product.
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Sounds like a great time, Dean! :thumbsup:

I really like that road that heads north out of Davis Flat. The river is so beautiful and scenic. I'd like to do some bike camping up there soon. I've never come out on the paved road, though. I've always taken it up and around Snow Mountain and ended up on M10 near Middle Creek.

I really like the area over by Cedar and Wilson Camps, too. It feels pretty remote over there, doesn't it? There are some really nice trails over there, too. They don't get ridden much because they're so far away from the "hub" of Stonyford.

+1 on the Pivot Pegz. I love mine! I think they were made for folks like me and you that have funky ankles :)

Did you take any photos?

WoodsChick
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I had a GREAT time! :thumbsup: Grinning the whole way, nice to get away. :)

There is a peak / Tee on the road(s) north of Davis Flats, it sounds like you went left (up and over Snow) and I went right down the hill out to the main road. I took the low road which was much shorter. I'm glad I did but next time I'll take the high road. :)

Nope no pics, next time!