1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st O-ring chain ?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rockdancer, Feb 4, 2014.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I rides the trails mostly but I am just tossing up between a lighter and cheaper quality mx chain and an O- ring chain - about $40 difference and probably be selling bike in 6 months
    Not sure how much advantage the o - ring is and if it saps a bit of the power
    Any thoughts?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I just had this conversation with buddy Jake. He says no way on the non o-ring. Going to try one anyway for my own information / results. I'm guessing it lasts half as long in the mud / dirt. As for drag there is for sure some but as it is easily overcome bay hand spinning the wheel I cant see it being noticeable. They do seem to weigh a good bit more and some of that is unstrung so there might be a slight difference to your suspension. All totalled for off road the o-ring makes sense to me. I'm sure there are good and not so good non o-ring chains just like o-ring chains so there is that factor as well.
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks kelly
    I think I am going to try an RK gold chain - GB520EXW-120 at $129 for the enduro version
    The last chain was from Motorsportz and has lasted well but time for a sprocket change - going to try 14 - 50 from 13 - 50
    steadydirt and Motosportz like this.
  4. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I just tried 13-48 on my 310. I didn't like it as much so will be going back to 50. Might sell the 48T black talon if your keen to try 13-48. Only one ride on it.
  5. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Non o-ring chain lasts several times less not just half as long. You also get to adjust the chain every ride and sometimes during the ride. It will also wear out your sprockets earlier as well because of the stretching. O-ring chains loose drag as they warm up and non o-ring chains increase drag as they heat up and can build more drag than the o-ring chain. The non o-ring chain is lighter however. I have given new regina non o-ring chain away that came on the bikes because they really weren't running. I can only see 2 uses for a non o-ring chain. 1) you are selling the bike and want to put on a new chain. 2) Riding moto where you get to pit and work on your bike between motos, chain adjusting is part of the ritual between motos.
    454x, rockdancer and 2premo like this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Jake said this same thing yet i have 6 rides on my 02 CR250 with a non o-ring chain and it has not needed adjustment. I think it was pre-stretched when I acquired the bike but seems to be in good shape. I'm sure this is all true but ordered a non o-ring chain last week to prove it to myself. :)
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Things are different when you are on a husky :>)
  8. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    someone had the gold coloured DID o/x/w-ring chins for $90 not long ago. maybe MCAS? not a bad deal, maybe $10 for posatge
  9. 72racerx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VFR800
    Shawbagga I'm running the RK 520MXU chain its a lighter weight narrow xring chain. Plus its all gold colour.
    shawbagga likes this.
  10. Drtrider82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 CR125 with WB165; 13 TC250
    I have to agree on the o-ring chain. It seems in the woods with the sand, mud, whatever they last so much longer. I have had a couple that came on bikes and it seems like every ride they need adjusted. I bought an o-ring when I bought the TC and didn't even bother running the stock one.
  11. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    I had to run a non-o-ring on my supermoto until my 4.25" rear wheel came in. With the 5" ride rim there wasn't enough clearance between the tire and an o-ring chain. Those chains lasted about 300 miles with an adjustment every ride. Given it was a highly tuned 450, with a non-cushioned hub, on the street with a very grippy intermediate rain race tire.

The tensile strength really isn't bad on the non-o-ring chains, they just don't keep the lubrication long and that causes the heat buildup.

For dirt, I like the X-ring chains. They last the longest.
  12. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    You can't pre- stretch a chain. They don't stretch. They wear and the tolerance stack up makes them longer.
    Palito, Xcuvator and jmetteer like this.
  13. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good point here, X-ring chain actually last a little longer than o-ring chains (they also cost more), but the bigger thing is they have lower drag than the o-ring chain with better seals to keep the grease in.
  14. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    +1 for RK's X ring. Would go through 2 sets of chain/sprockets during a whole year of racing.
    Adjust after initial ride then good to go...
  15. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    o-rings will last a while with little or no maintenance.

IMO non o-ring chains can be made to last if you clean and lube them after every ride but still won't last as long as a quality sealed chain.

I run RK 520EXWs which I can usually find on ebay for under $70 for a 114 link. But if I know I'm going to be riding in a lot of mud i'll swap on a cheapie non o-ring.
    ray_ray likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Ok pre lengthened then.
  17. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    I think you had it right, I would the people making them might have a better idea.

18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I have very good luck with these ~$70 RK chains also ... ESP using used engine oil from my bikes, applied to the chain with a tooth brush ...

--
    Never had a non-oRing chain last long either but I've never purchased any that costs over ~$50 .... So maybe the quality just is not there at that price?
  19. Ran Caulfield Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 Wr300,13 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    none at the mo
    Hi guys,I reckon the DID X ring is hard to go pastI have had a great run with them in the past & have one ready to go on my WR300 next time around,however the bloody OEM Regina is still going strong,65hrs on it and I've hardly touched it.Don't think I'd look at the RK chain Have one on my boy's TE 250 and seem to have to adjust it regularly(it's O ring or X ring).Wouldn't bother with non o ring for enduro/trailriding it'll be rooted in no time particularly if wet and muddy
    shawbagga and rockdancer like this.
  20. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    They absolutely stretch as well as wear.

Common misconception that an oring chain's lube is sealed inside. True, the lube for the solid pin that the chain pivots on is sealed by the o-ring. But the roller that contacts the sprockets rides on a bushing and is open to the elements. Oring chains still need to be lubed to lubricate that roller/bushing.

I'm a moto guy (who would have guessed?!) so I always run a standard chain of high-quality. I run DID ert2 chains or the RK gold (can't remember call letters) and get 30 hours or so out of a chain and aluminum sprocket. And no, I don't have to adjust every ride (smallbore 2t helps this) Spend your money on a good chain and get cheap sprockets to offset the cost if you must. The worn/stretched chain wrecks the sprocket, not the other way around. But a hooked sprocket will wreck a chain in a few hours, so replace as a set. I used to get 2 chains and a new sprocket set, and switch them every ride day and really get some life out of my sprockets, but I quit that as life got busier....
    rockdancer likes this.