1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Oil leak at carb

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by marcmo0, Oct 30, 2012.

1. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    So I have been trying to chase down a leak that is leaving oil, presumably premix, on my carb. I believe it is coming from the airscrew, but can't really figure it out. What would be causing this? Anyone else ever have this go on? It seems to seep quite a bit as I check on it and try to chase it down at least 3 times a day. At that point it is along the rib above the seam of the carb body and float bowl, and dripped down along the float bowl. It is a keihin pwk 38. I am stumped. Bike runs good, but obviously want to get this put to rest. Been running this carb for almost 3 years with no problems.
    I have also tried the airboot junction and loosened and reset the carb and tightened it all down again. AND, I haven't run the bike all week. Just turned fuel off and on at random times just to make sure there is fuel in there.
    I also removed the carb at one point to see if there was any oil seeping from anywhere else and just showing up there. Nope. Its somehow coming from somewhere along carb.
    sorry for long post, just want to be detailed so I can try and figure this out. I have a looong and extremely remote ride coming up this weekend. And I might be solo, so I don't want to break down.
  2. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    carb.jpg

You can see the oil along the rim of carb. Anyone have any ideas? I am totally confused because it is also above the seam of the float bowl/carb body junction.
  3. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    The pic above was after 45min. This morning it dripped down along the float bowl even. Any ideas at all???
  4. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Got to be the sealing gasket/rubber on the float bowl, and while your in there make sure the float height is correct
  5. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

6. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Thanks Fat Tire Flyer. I have lost that piece before, but not this time. I just took everything apart again. wiped out the inside of the airbox clean, cleaned out the carb, inspected for cracks, etc. I put everything back together. I left the gas disconnected from the carb this time to see if I generate any residue. This way I will know it is coming from the airbox. If in a few hours, I have nothing. I will connect the fuel and turn it on and see what happens then. Keeping my fingers crossed that I somehow killed the gremlin without knowing where exactly to shoot!
    Fat Tire Flyer likes this.
  7. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Problem solved !...or so I believe. I am posting this as an fyi for anyone who ever runs into this. I took apart my airbox today and there was essentially "soup" at the bottom of the boot, where it connects with the carb. I cleaned it all out (guess I didn't do a very good job last time) and put it back together and haven't had any seepage for a couple of hours now.
    I think what caused this was running the bike after a wash. I presume the air filter got wet and when I ran it post wash (to heat up the engine/exhaust and dry it off) it must have sucked some water mixed with air filter cleaner through and down in there. I am still unsure how it would have seeped out of there since the clamps were tight and presumably everything was sealed. But end result, cleaned out inside of airbox boot and no more issues. :busted:
    Fat Tire Flyer likes this.