1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc ? on WR 250/300's

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by john01, Jun 27, 2009.

1. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey guys I may start a search for a new WR250/300. My questions are: do they come with the headlight and rear brake light on them or is it in a kit for you to install? I like the looks without the lights. Also will these WR's run with a Yamaha yz250? Thanks, John
  2. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

My 07 WR 250 came with the lights in a box. I would say yes with the YZ 250. I have several buddies who have enduroized YZ's and I have no problem staying with them. I have not ridden their bikes though.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks so you must get two front number plates?
  4. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

the wr250 ive ridden had a bunch of bottom end grunt. more then the yz's i have riddden.

if your fast like 2whls youll love it im sure!
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cool razornpc I like hearing that. I have two Huskys and would like to keep the family growing. Thanks for your input.
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    My 300 came with regular MX-style number plates installed and the light kit (with the light number plate) in a box.

As for the YZ, the 300 will suck the plastic off a YZ 250. Not sure about the WR 250 as the one I've ridden was an '07 and as best I can remember, felt a good bit tamer than the 300.

Toy Tech in Grantville, PA has a 300 with your name on it! :thumbsup:
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hmmm my name on it I like that too. Faster than a YZ250 I like that too. Thanks for your input krieg.
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Here's my opinion:

I own a 09' WR300 and an 06' YZ250 (now with a 285cc jug/slug/head). Even stock, the YZ is far and away the more aggressive motor. It hits hard off idle and does not let up. Period. The WR has a soft hit off-idle which eventually carries into a very nice mid/top end pull. If you're after ease-of-use grunt, then the WR is the winner hand down. The lack of hit on the bottom makes it a Jekyll and Hyde motor (soft bottom that transitions into a sweet mid/top pull). The WR is very easy to ride.

The WR250 does not have the same characteristics as the WR300 as it lacks the bottom end grunt, but pulls nicely through the mid and top. Although a bit tamer than the 300 mid/top pull. This is based on the stock 06' WR250 I've ridden.

In a drag race the YZ will win every time. Even bone stock.
    At least up to the point where gearing comes into play, but in an all out horsepower race the YZ wins. They're completely 2 different animals. The YZ is explosive and the WR is flowing. If you want to blow up berms and jump triples then look at the YZ. If you want to float through trail systems quickly and efficiently then look at the WR.

The YZ, even extremely modded for off-road, is a handful on the trails. The WR is bliss in the trails due to it being in a far less aggressive state of tune, much better brakes and more trail worthy suspension . It works wonderful for its intended purpose though. As does the YZ. No such thing as a do it all bike IMO.

Figure out what you want from a bike (MX explosive or trail worthy effective) and then pull the trigger. Both are bulletproof from my experience.
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good read PC, thanks. I have a 07 Honda 450R, 08 Husky CR125, and a 09 Husky TXC 510 so you would think thats enough. I am selling the Honda and was kinda looking for a fun MX bike. I don't race or get to wild but do have fun at it. So it sounds like either the YZ or Wr Husky will work but the YZ better on a MX track. So PC will the Wr Husky's work on a MX track in a semi agressive manner (I don't try any tripples)? How do the bikes compare when turns are thrown into the mix? Honestly I flow better on a MX track with my little Husky CR125 than I do my Honda 450R.
  10. VinMan1513 Husqvarna
    AA Class

rode an 06 rm 250 back to back with my wr 250 many o times .. the wr will pull way better down low and is smoother all the way around the powerband .
  11. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for your input VinMan1513. Smooth is good for me as long as it has the power to go with the smooth. I have ridden a older Rm so how does the handling of the two compare?
  12. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    It's funny you want to sell your 450R for a 2 stroke MX bike. I actually want a 450 for the track, but I'm not ready to sell anything to make it happen.

If you only plan on doing moto then I'd get the YZ. That's my unbiased opinion.
    If Husky actually made a 250cc MX bike then it would make the decision more difficult, but as it stands the YZ is far more at-home on an MX track than a WR Husky.

If I were to only have one bike then I'd keep the Husky. It's far better in the gnarly off road stuff and still capable on the track. The role is reversed for the YZ. The Pro's can make them fly off-road, but for mere mortals the WR is a much better off road scoot.
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well PC I am 50 years old and whatever MX skills I had are very rusty now so I just play at MX. If you were closer I would make you a deal on the 450R It's has about 10 hrs of use and mostly in my back field play MX track. I appreciate your opinion. So for an old slow guy playing at MX the Husky would work? I just don't want an all out MX bike like my Honda. Thanks.
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Sure it would work. In fact, if you're just out to goof around and not race competitively then you might actually like a WR better on the track. It has a much more useful powerband and wont tire you out so much. The suspension might need some work, but that's easily remedied with $$

I've never had my 300 at the track, but I've jumped it quite a bit out in the trails and its a very stable bike in the air. Doesn't do anything awkward and feels very controlled. It would make a completely capable MX'er assuming you weren't after trophy's in the 450 class.

If you were closer I'd take a look at your Honda and let you ride the WR and YZ on a track. If you're ever in Portland.......
  15. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I totally agree with PC about the WR serving as a good "old man's" MX bike. I'm 48 and I noodle around the MX practice tracks trying to keep from being lapped by my son. The WR will do intermediate MX stuff well. In fact, Cody likes to ride it on the track from time to time just to try something different. My opinion is: if you're an "A" 40+ MX rider, you could probably make the WR competitive with B riders and some lesser skilled A riders. If you're out to have fun putzing around the MX track just to see if you can still clear a double or land a moderate table top without killing yourself (like me)... The WR is by far the best choice since you can use it to chug trails when decide the MX tracks have beaten your a$$ sufficiently for one day (like me). :D

I must go on record and disagree with PC on one issue... Based on my own experiences with both bikes, I'm reasonably sure that the WR 300 will suck the blue plastic clean off a YZ 250 on a long, open fire road. Maybe a drag race challenge is in order. :lol::thumbsup::cheers:
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks PC for the input. I actually perfer jumping my TXC 510 over my Honda because it is so stable in the air. Me and the Honda have to be on the same page when jumping. The big TXC... just stand, gas, and jump. Oh thanks for the invite it would be very cool. It's funny what you said about "trophy's in the 450 class". My son and I watched my two friends race around a very nice 2.5 mile MX track. One was on my Husky CR125 the other on his KX450. The little Husky won by over two hundred yards. We still laugh about it. Whats even funnier is it was the first time he had ridden my CR. He usually gets stomped when he rides his older Honda CR250. All the KX rider Steve could say was "man I just couldn't catch that little Husky" as he panted to catch his breath.
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Oh now drag racing is something this old fart can still pull off LOL. You guys have been great and I really do appreciate feedback for real riders. I may have to get the big Husky 300 and find me a YZ250 and line them up. I know it would put a whipping on my friends older Honda Cr250. Heck I think my little Cr125 Husky could pull that off.
  18. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    If traction is at a premium then I'll line the YZ up against anything for a 50 yard dash. I can pull my buddies CRF450 on a tacky day, until I'm out of gears and he's just going into 5th :banghead:

I take it down to the dunes and demoralize (most) Banshee's and 450's all day long. I just fail to mention I have a modded 285cc motor.

I'm only 32, but the WR is my old mans bike. It's just so civilized and easy to ride in the woods compared to every other bike I've owned. I do love it. And everybody loves to oogle over it and talk about it. Nobody looks twice at my Yamaha.

I will agree the WR would outrun the YZ eventually. My WR topped out at over 70mph stock per my GPS. The YZ would be lucky to break 65 downhill with a stiff breeze behind it (stock gearing on both). It will get there as fast as you can bang the gears though.

If you buy it before Wednesday you can get the $1k rebate through BMW financial. IMO the WR300 is the best deal going in the 250/300 smoker world :cheers:
  19. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Oh CRAP I forgot the deal was going off the end of the month. Thanks for the reminder. We drag race on my back field about 600' I think.
  20. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I thought the Hero deals were extended through July.