1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc One year anniversary for the 165!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wallybean, Nov 5, 2012.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I can't believe that it has only been a year since I got my first shipment of 165 piston's. Lots of small tweaks since the beginning but all in all a solid kit that seems to be well received. To celebrate the day, I got my first shipment of HGS 200 SX pipe blanks from the Netherlands today. That pipe really rips with an amazing amount of top end.

I really want to thank a few of the guys that really made/make this kit possible:

John Kearney for all the great work with FMF and riding the crap out of his 165 and spreading the word.

Kelly Anson for really making the kit accessible to all and getting the word to anyone that will listen.

Norman Foley for all his support and ideas.

Bill's and Hall's for supporting the cause and providing great service.

To George Erl for coming up with the idea in the first place. Good luck with the Beta's.

Thanks to Powerseal for always providing a consistantly good product.

I have communicated with so many over the last year that it has been a great time even during the stressfull and money losing times.

Husky are you listening.....One year and over 50 kits from some knucklehead in Montana. This is really the ideal woods weapon. I expect a couple of you to also scare yourself on the MX track too when you strap on the HGS pipe.

Thank you all for your interest,
    Walt
    MattR, erigre, wait4me and 7 others like this.
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I've never wanted a 2 stroke but this kit has been making me think twice! Congratulations on the one year!
    WoodsChick likes this.
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    It's only been a year?!?!?! Dang... HGS pipe eh? :thinking:
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I don't think it is the best all around pipe for old fat guys like me but man it does get the adrenalin pumping.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Big pat on the back from me Walt; love my WB165 :applause: . So...this HGS is a top end pipe....:thinking:?
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Thanks for all you've done, Walt! Every one of us that started with a 125 appreciates it more than you'll ever know! I love my 165, even though I haven't been able to put many miles on it yet. The shiny pipe looks good on it (thank you so much!) I got all excited when dragging it out of the garage today. I hope we get some good conditions (i.e. no dust...I'll even take some snow over the horrific dust!) this coming weekend as I'm really looking forward to rippin' around on it! :thumbsup:

Thanks again, Walt! :)

P1010076.JPG
    wallybean likes this.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

My buddy Jon will be in Bend with my '12 that will have an HGS mounted up on it. I am also trying it with a 200 sx dual ignition too. First impression this evening was that it cost it a little on the very top versus the husky CR CDI. The low setting is less of a hit and might be the ticket for snow.
  8. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I will get a taste for the 165 this coming weekend... I see myself spending money like some kind of addict ...... A Husky addict :)
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Congratulations Walt, it does seem like it's been more than a year. Like I was saying to you the other day, after finally getting mine out I'm really liking it and understand what everyone has been talking about. I'm afraid the 250 is going to see alot of time on the bench though.
    BTW, does the Pirie pipe guard fit the FMF 200KTM pipe you supplied? I emailed him to find out, but you know how that goes...
  10. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will this setup be available to test? I'd love to ride a bike with the HGS pipe to see how I like it.
  11. DaveG321 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey Walt,165 has been lots of fun,just wish I could give it more gas,but I would probably hit a tree.Been a fun year of riding and many who have tried the bike loved it,Rotator cup surgery on Jan 4TH ,left side this time and will be all set for spring of 2013.
    Thanks for all the hard work.
  12. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is there a SINGLE bad report out there on this kit? If so, I missed that post. I rode my buddies 144 this weekend, and while it is a fun bike and SCREAMS on top, I have gotten used to the very, very smooth power delivery of my 165 with the PC pipe. I rode his bike for a few miles, then politely asked for mine back. There is no other bike I'd rather be on at this point.
    john01 likes this.
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Just ask Jon for a ride.
  14. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

There have been a few problems but I have tried to address them immediately and adjusted the kit accordingly.
  15. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What have the problems been Walt?
  16. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    love, love, love my 165, thank you Walt and team! :cheers:
    WoodsChick and wallybean like this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    IMHO Hands down the best woods motor ever. Thanks Walt.
    WoodsChick and wallybean like this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Other than one that seized due to being setup to tight (one of the first kits) I have heard nothing. Very solid setup.
  19. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have more RACE miles on my 165 then just about anyone out there
    After about 1,000 miles took it apart replace the ring used the same gaskets again and went and did 2 more Nationals on it about 200 miles Still runs great
    Looking foward to 2013 where the 165 will be running National # 3 against the open class
    There are a few new faster young guys moving up to Mag expert class that I will try and run with
    MattR and wallybean like this.
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Tim,
    I had one batch of cylinders set up too tight. Quick lesson learned and corrected. No need to set them up tight as these piston's are verrrrry durable.
    I had some gauge and elevation issues getting the compression a little high on early kits. Very easy to deal with and have corrected later kits.
    I have had 2 bad cylinders. One had some warping on the deck and I had to get it re-machined and it is in a buddies bike still ripping now. One I am trying to get replaced now but it is on the other side of the world and won't be able to get the replacement cylinder in place until first of year. It has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of months now.

The only real head scratcher is that cylinder that had its lining and upper lip completely fail. Cause is a mystery and I can't believe that Powerseal is the problem but anything is possible. Both bad cylinders were old style cylinders from early 2000's motors. I just warrantied both cylinders and piston kits. So two non-operator error(me) failures in over 50 kits is pretty good.