1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc One year with wr250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wxc300, Jan 10, 2013.

1. wxc300 Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi I have a a 2011 wr250 for a year now. I bought it new and installed the Keihin carb, handguards,skidplate and tubliss system, and a reklush clutch. Im in Ky and ride single track and logging trails. Its been a good bike. It surprises me how much power the motor makes, I rode ktms for 10 years and wanted too try something else. The only problem I have had was I didnt replace the coolant and it was leaking around the water pump seal. I think If I had of rode a couple of times then replaced coolant I would of been fine. Overall the build quality of the components are comparable to ktms. I know the design is dated but I saved 2000 dollars over the comparable pumpkin. Oh this is my first reklush and it is a great feature for nasty single track.
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Glad to hear this. I have had my WR300 for almost a year now and I really think that it's a well crafted piece of machinery. I had a KTM back in 2005, and was disappointed at all the things that seemed to go wrong with it for no dang reason at all. This is one of the reasons that when I was getting ready to buy a new street legal trail bike, I decided to take a good look at the Husqvarnas and purchased the TE450. I'm glad I did!:banana:
  3. wxc300 Husqvarna
    B Class

Most of the guys I ride with do harescrambles and ride ktm, they all send their suspenshion off and get re valved and run reklush clutch, they are all good riders, but I think if you are going to do all the mods why not buy the Husky and save a couple of thousand.
  4. marshwater Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE449 (sold) '13 WB165
    dirtdirtdame, please explain the differences you notice in your te and wr. the good, the bad. thinking of getting a wr to compliment my te449.
  5. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm running an '08 WR250 and love it. I came off a 2002 & 2004 KTM200. The Husky may be "dated" but it just flat works! The steering and suspension on my bike are awesome. Every person that rides it is blown away with the handling. A push button start would be nice but I can live without it. - By the way, I'm riding tight single track in Georgia and Tennessee.
    steadydirt likes this.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Not sure of what you mean by "the differences" in the two machines. The TE is a fairly low maintenance machine compared to the EXCs of the same year model, and better handling in my opinion. It also was a less expensive initial purchase.

The WR was a leftover, so that was quite the bargain. I rode a friend's 2012 KTM WXC 300 last summer, and wasn't sorry one bit that I own a WR. The KTM just felt sluggish handling and somewhat heavier, even though the WR is the heavier of the two. The KTM had smoother power, but I like the awesome torque of the WR. That's part of it's charm.:love:

The Huskys are so much more handsome and sharp also, especially if you spruce them up with some Decalworks shroud stickers.:thumbsup:
  7. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    One year into my WR300. Still feels like the honeymoon!

I also have a Rekluse clutch and love it for Utah singletrack and desert.
    Christmas brought me Motosports brake disc guards front and rear in black and a 36mm Lectron carb! (still waiting for it)
  8. Steve-oh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04RM250, 05XR100,07PW80,41 Harley
    Long_Stroke, can you give us a report once you get a couple rides under your belt with the Lectron carb installed?

Thanks,
    Steve
  9. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    I will. Its about to snow here and I don't know when I'll get south to ride next but I will do some neighborhood hooliganism testing for sure.
    marcmo0 and Steve-oh like this.
  10. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I love my Wr300 which is why i bought it back from the guyi sold it too :)) I had a txc 510 and then a ktm300exc and the WR 300 runs rings around the exc in everyway from hi speed stability and pure kick in the pants power delivery. I only sold the txc becuase i wanted to shed some pounds to a lighter ride. After owning 6 different dirt bikes over the last 5yrs Huskys are the most stable bike ive ridden offroad from high speed desert to technical rocky terrain. The WR is the most fun all day ride available in my book :)

Hope you have as much fun on it as the rest of us :)
    steadydirt likes this.
  11. sned2502st Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR250
    Got my left over 2011 in May of 2012. Paid 6 grand out the door. Not bad compared to $8500 I was getting quoted on a KTM. Then on top of that I made $700 in contingency money I wouldn't have got with a KTM. But there has been a couple of things that have bummed me out about the bike. Hard to start. I have learned a few tips to help it start alot easier than when I first got it, but its a 2 stroke it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Its a little loud for a woods bike, I know I can buy a FMFQ or something but they could have taken care of that at the design part. The taillight that came with it is a absolute joke. I bought this bike over a YZ250 because I do enduros and needed lights and didn't want to have to mess around with lights. Ended up having to mess with lights. I am getting use to it now, and it seems to work real good. Not sorry I bought it at all.
  12. wxc300 Husqvarna
    B Class

I rode a friends 09 yz450 in tight woods for a few minutes Monday and the weight difference between it and the wr250 in tight woods is really apparent the effects of a timing chain and valves spinning would quickly deplete my energy , I was glad to get back on my wr250.