Ooooh --- to be Young again.

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Blazes, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    In Sunny S/A we had our first Summer rains and i got a few friends together to test a Demo 690E KTM as well as my new 610TE and my 07/ 450TE husky as well as a 09/450x Honda and one DR 650 Suzuki together for a day of Fun.
    Had to take it easy with the 610 as i am still running her in.

The roads were in very good condition and the dust was minimal after the rains--a odd mud hole here and there, just enough to keep the rider behind you honest.

We all shared bikes and tested all the bikes like we were young boys again out on our first adventure.
    The great part of the ride is that we could ride the bikes back to back on different terrain and be able to judge for ourselves which ones we liked the most.
    Here are some pics of Playtime as we called it:D
    A friend on my 610TE.
    [IMG]
    The 450x.
    [IMG]
    The 690e
    [IMG]
    Slip-slip-sliding.
    [IMG]
    The Old and the young:) See who is leading:lol:
    [IMG]
    And as for Andre-he allways wanted to wheelie:thumbsup: But not necessarily on the back of a bike without footpegs.
    [IMG]

After a whole day of playing it was great to sit down to a bite to eat and discuss our favourite bikes. Felt like we were all very young again.
    Sometimes it is just awesome to go out and have Fun for a change and forget all the problems that surround us. Smiles stayed on our faces for hours afterwards--Some of our wives did not beleive we went riding coming home with large grins on our faces--until we shoed them the picture:excuseme:

And some that were taken by another rider.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Nice back roads over there. Looks like you had a blast.:thumbsup::cheers:
  3. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    Sounds like you guys' had a great time.

How did the bike comparo go?
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Blazes...Don't leave us hang'n like that...:D

Please share with us your ride report on all models.
  5. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank's Dirtdame. I am very fortunate to live in a area where i can leave home on my bike and be on gravel roads in less than 1.4 kilometeres. I call it my backyard. I have over 500km of this and still looking for more all within 60km of my house. Although i live in a busy and well developed neighbourhood--to the east is mainly farms and railwaytracks. The riding varies from single-double-and railway tracks as well as two hills that are very rocky and challenging. Also some good gravel roads that i usually take Newbie riders out on our D/S bikes.
  6. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah, uhhmmm.

That's you taking it easy??:confused:

I coulda swore you weren't 'sposed to exceed 5k rpm or something or other. I grant you though the manual says absolutely nothing regarding two up wheelies:lol:
  7. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi HuskyDude. I will give you my opinion later---BUT you know what the say about opinions :)
  8. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here is my 2c worth of what i and some of the other riders thought of the bikes.

The 610 TE-Far more stable than any of the other bikes.
    Does not give the same power as the 690e--But ALL the power on the back wheel hooks up well and you do not get wheelspin.
    Very good components--Magura levers-Brembo brakes--If you did not know you would say that they were taken off the KTM--The same components.
    The Husky is R10k cheaper. Better suspension than the 690e--But remember the 690 was not set up and was stock settings.
    Need to uncork the Husky when it is run in---Tight as hell and restricted.
    Both the Husky and KTM are very economical.
    Husky is Not for short people.
    Huskies more DS orientated in my opinion.
    Services from the agents are cheaper on the Huskies.
    Although there is only 1kg difference in the bikes the Husky does feel heavier than the KTM. I like it as it give me confidence to put it in a corner and gas it.
    The KTM's front end is just too light for me( as i said the suspension was not set up.)
    Seat on the Husky softer than the KTM.
    Gear ratio on the Husky is just the way it should be ;)All six gears.
    The KTm will make a long tar road VERY short--if your arse will survive.
    Both motors are as smooth as one can ever wish for.
    Vibration ? Husky Hardly any. The Ktm is also very smooth.
    Husky is a little lower on the revs.
    Rear brake piston--Husky --Protected. KTM--Needs to be looked at.
    Side panels etc. Husky wins this hands down as far as i am concerned--Thicker and better quality.
    Sidestand on the Husky What were they thinking. Well its coming off and i will do the mod that needs to be done.
    Aftermarket accessories--Husky has been arround long enough and have more than you can dream of.
    The Husky is also for someone who wants to maintain his bike himself. Very easy to work on and service yourself.
    Backup from importers--KTM most probably wins hands down. Hope BMW sort out there new purchase.
    But i must say that everything for everyday use is freely available.
    I am sure the 690r has better suspension than the E from the specs i have seen on it.

I must be getting on in years or just getting careful. 10- years ago i would not have hesitated to buy something like a 690 E Hooligan machine.

Nowdays i Ride Slower to go Faster and let the bike and suspension rather work for me. Maybe that is why i choose the Husky for a smoother ride. I do not need the speed no longer. If a bike with good suspension can do 140kmph on gravel then i am more than happy

Not every bike will suite every rider out there. Some bikes are just made for some people and others Not. Saw with the testing who liked what and how quick one or two of the riders became comfortable on different bikes that they have never ridden before. Myself--i would not have chosen the Husky 5 years ago. Today it is The bike for me. It has its niggles like all bikes do--but nothing that can not be rectified.
    Niggles on the Husky.
    Sidestand.
    Restricted exhaust.
    Air box breather needs to be duct taped closed when entering very deep water( some people never ride in deep water.)
    Clutch cable to be alinged properly.

The rest

My favourite for the day for the type of riding we were doing My 450 TE.

I think one needs to remember that the 690 KTM was built as a serious Rally Bike.NOT for the people who suffer from Poepol and Heart attacks when riding. A special bike for a special breed of rider. Both these bikes have suspension superior to any 600-700cc bike out there. Suspension comes off tested rally and race bikes.
    I love the fact that Husky still has the THUMP--in Thumper.

For those who love the feel of a XR and do not want to go with the flow--The Husky will be a good choice
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I just got home and read your report. :thumbsup:

Well thought out, unbiased and to the point.

Thank You. :cheers:
  10. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've read two similar reports with the TE against the 690 and both had the TE corked up.

My TE has a the Leo Vince, powerup and a 14 front sprocket. A bud and I traded and his bike felt like a moped. I'm dying to see a review of the two bikes side to side without the 610 being handicapped.

Also, my 610 is crazy fast. I know I have more top end on the highway than a 690e, I'm wondering if the 690 really has more power where would you use it? I think maybe the 610 could use more oomph in 3rd? but I dunno cuz I wipe out when I go that fast in dirt.
  11. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

So did the 690 have the Akra exhaust and remap? If not, depending on what market it was for it may also have been corked up. It certainly would be if it was a stock UK model, not only by the ridiculous stock exhaust but also by having the power intentionally limited in 2nd and 3rd gears, probably for noise or emission regulations (the Akra mapping removes that restriction). With the Akra fitted the UK 690 will cruise easily at 85+mph and will go over 100mph if you can hold on through the wind blast. Don't know about where you ride but that's enough to be losing your license here so I'm not sure how much more top end I'd really want! :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the 610 in any way as I'm sure it's a fabulous bike (that many Cafe Husky members can't be wrong after all!), and I may end up with one myself next time round. Just sayin' it's hard to be sure whether any review is really comparing like for like. At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter anyway, so long as you're happy with the bike you have and it works for the riding you do then who cares what some reviewer thinks about it? :)
  12. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The 690 had a aftermarket pipe on as well as the mapping was done--it was a loaner from the Local KTM agent here in SA.

Here in SA our local traffic department are not that strict with bikes--Maybe because they do not know the law that well concerning all the do's and dont's about bikes on and off - road. They also do not have the manpower to manage the law properly.
  13. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Useful to know that in terms of your review (which I thought was very fair), but I was actually referring to the reports that Xymotic mentioned where he said the TE was corked up - if the 690 they used had an Akra pipe then to be fair the TE should also have been uncorked. On the other hand I wouldn't see it as unfair if both bikes were completely stock, so I was curious to know what state both bikes were in for those reports (if it was mentioned in the reports).