pcv a/t worth it?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by B_M_F, Jun 30, 2011.

1. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    i have been reading this forum for 2 days strait... is it worth it? should i do pcv alone or also auto tune?? alot of mixed reviews as i read sooo many posts im getting about 40 miles per tank and i have not done the pump mod so i read its short 0.4 when the bike cuts off.... it runs well i have the power up kit. i shortened the exhaust and removed emissions crap. thanks in advance guys. also i beat is not an option no dealers around for 500 miles.
  2. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    40 miles/tank is way too low. I get about 70 miles to the low-fuel light (1.5 gal used/ .4 left in the tank). This is with an 08 TE510 w/PU kit and 14/50 cogs.

Start with the fuel pump fix, and go from there.
  3. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    yeah before the pu kit i was getting 60-70 miles per tank......
  4. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    it looks like im just going to go the pcv without A/T feature. seems like thats where alot of the problems are. plus i dont want to change values every ride and or get stranded.
  5. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    is this the general consensus? i am running the stock air filter have all the crap taken out the spark arrest screen....? should i get a kn filter or bmc?
  6. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

Stock air filter is a good unit, don't waste your money there. The PCV alone will not be worth it unless you have a local tuner with a dyno create a custom map for you. The autotune works, but isn't without its quirks. It wont leave you stranded as long as you set it up properly. I have mine set to limit changes to +/- 10%. This is a small enough percent it wont make it not run, but is enough to see what changes it wants to make. It is simple to hook the PCV up to a laptop after rides and is actually sort of fun to see the changes it wants to make. If you aren't happy with the way it runs, don't accept the new trims and keep the old map. Also, save save save! Save every map and date it that way you can easily revert if you want. When the auto tune changes get very small, dis-able it, remove the wide band O2 sensor and the autotune and you're done.
    Coffee likes this.
  7. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    Is the ECU jumper resistor installed properly? It sounds like the install of the PU wasn't right. The ECU may think the lambda sensor is still in place and is signaling a lean condition. It could also be the iBeat CO values are not right. Before throwing $$ at the problem, verify that everything is connected/configured properly.
  8. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    went out there and tore all the pu components off and re installed i had a high idle at 1,670 rpm turned it down a bit after it was warmed up of coarse. Also i disconnected the battery and re connected it hoping it will clear any issues from before. i saw a jd jetting thread. need to call him up ask about his product.
  9. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

1670 is not a "high" idle. Mine runs great and idles at about 2000 rpm when warm.
  10. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    ok well im going on a 200 mile ride today so i will see if anything changes. After re installing all the pu stuff.
  11. kcumjc Husqvarna
    A Class

On my '08 SMR with the power up kit, I was getting about 70 miles to the tank (empty) with no hard stops. Once I hit 50 miles, any hard stop or attitude change of the chassis, it'd stall. My fuel pump was WAY out of it prongs. Safety wire fixed that issue. Today I was getting about 80~85 miles until I had to push the bike. It was getting flogged quite heavily. So with a more sedate but fun pace, I'm betting it'll get a bit more mileage out of the stock tank.

I did notice that when warm, she does NOT like any throttle input with the clutch in and during idle. ie, a short burst of fuel to prepare to get the clutch going out (over an obstacle). Stalled on me at the most unoppertune times. With the PU kit, the "race" map is VERY rich. I'm thinking of getting the PC5 and having my trusted tuner make a map. No need for the auto tune kit if you get it tuned on a dyno. Maybe some more tweaking here or there, but that's usually a very small shift and you can play with it on your laptop.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Depends on the bike. 2008 bikes were really really rich when the power up kit is installed, 2009s were much better but not perfect, I've not tested any 2010s+.
    Without the power up kit on the 2008 bikes... they really did not run great (in my humble opinion).

I highly recommend the auto tune if you get the PCV. The maps that are created at dynojet, for the most part, are acceleration only. That means when you close the throttle with the clutch still engaged.. at maybe 5000 rpms such as approaching a stop sign, those cells are not filled in (5000 rpm, 0 throttle). On the 2008 TE250 I tested under those conditions with auto tune disabled and dynojet created map it went from cells which took out 30% of the fuel to 0% adjustment - and the bike tended to stall. The autotune filled in those cells nicely.

But as mentioned earlier, the autotune does have some quirks.
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Great post! :thumbsup:
  14. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    wish i could get more info on the vortex unit since it is a complete ecu. i have a 2008 with pu kit coffee
  15. crancky1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

just finished installing PCV & AT, 08 te510
    its now working a treat, bike is MUCH smoother and great big fat mid range now ,

BUT,
    READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY,(i'm typical aussie male, read the book properly when the problems started)
    _luke_ likes this.
  16. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    Nice looks like this is the route to go vs any of the timing advance mechanisms out there... Like the JD KIT...