PCV + Autotune Making Bike Run Hot?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by danbartol, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone had issues w/ a PCV + Autotune makeing ther bike run hotter than normal?
  2. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have not seen this if everything is working right.

What is target AFR and what do you see for real-time AFR values?

Have you tried disabling AT and loading a 'zero' base map to see if runs the same as before installing the PCV?
  3. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

The AFR was set at 13.2.

The bike is currently out of comission since it blew the Y out of the OEM 2010 coolant hose.

As soon as I get it running again I will take the PC-V and Autotune out of the loop and run the bike stock to make sure it's ok.

After that, if all runs well, I'll do just the PC-V and the add the Autotune just to make sure I've checked every block.
  4. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not sure I know what you mean by that?

In my set up I can set the AFR (13.2) and then after running the bike I can go back and see what adjustments the Autotune did, but they are measured in 0 to -15, according to how much adjustment I allow the Autotune to make.

Most of the adjustments were in the mid RPM range and averaged between -5 and -11. Keep in mind I'm riding at 10,000 ft.
  5. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is what the adjusted trim levels look like for an AFR of 13.2:

[IMG]
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The map looks fine to me.

It shows you like accelerating much more than decelerating :)
  7. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

The real-time AFR is what is shown on the PC software along with rpm & fuel adjustment while the bike is running.

Your trim map doesn't look like it's removing too much fuel. What happened to the coolant fitting? Could you have cooling system problems that is causing the hotter engine?
  8. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm in the process of checking things out, but the pump impeller looks fine and spins when I kick the bike over. I discovered it's the old version, not the high flow impeler I thought the 2010 models had.

The bike was running quality coolant w/ a bit of watter wetter to boot.

Here is what happened to the coolant hose:
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  9. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

:thumbsup: :ride:
  10. Those trims are very different than my bike, well at least at slower rpm/throttle, mine was leaning out up to 20% in places with everything set to 13.2, of course I'm not real literate when it comes to this stuff. My overheating started after accepting trims the first time and leaving the trim at 20% which I'm thinking is a mistake. Let us know how things go when you get her running again, I wont be able to test out my theory on a lean condition for a couple of weeks.

...also my autotune quit working so I think I'm done with using it until I can hook up with Dean to try some EFI tuning.
  11. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got mine set to a max of 15% change and I live at 5500ft and ride between 9000 & 11,000ft.
  12. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

I could no longer wait around to diagnose the problem, so I cobbled together the coolant hoses w/ some auto-zone parts and got her running.

I have the PC-V and Autotune completely removed from the bike, Husky power-up kit installed and am running an FMF Q-4 exhaust w/ quiet insert.

Following the great one's advice (George Uptite) I started the bike w/ the rad cap off and observed the coolant flow into the right radiator. That's pretty cool to do, the volume of fluid flowing is pretty big and obvious.

After that I capped the radiator and allowed the bike to idle until the colling fan turned off. That took approximately 4-5 minutes. As soon as the fan came on I hopped on the bike and rode down the block. By the time I got to the end and was turning around the fan was off.

So....................This leads me to believe there is nothing wrong w/ the bike and that the issue is w/ the PC-V or Autotune

Next step will be to install the PC-V and Autotune and run one at a time to see what effect each one has on the bike.

As a side not I noticed that the bike seemed snappier than when it ran on the Power Commander
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Hi Dan!

People have been contacting me wanting to know where they should be making comments regarding you issues. Since you have multiple threads about this, it is difficult for them to decide.

I'll close this and people can take up the conversation with you here:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112113#post112113
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.