PCV installed - now FAIL message

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Tom H, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Tom H Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511
    Guys, I have a 2011 SMR 511 with just over 2000km on the clock and have just installed a Power Commander V. And therein lies the problem.

So I attached all the wires and plugs etc and was preparing to reassemble all the panels and decided I better fire it up to check it worked before I put fairing on and had to potentially take them off again. So I started it and it ran with what sounds like a little bit of a high idle. I turned it off and then heard a noise. Ill try and explain what the part is as I dont know the name.

So on the right hand side of the bike there is a large black contraption that you have to undo 2x 8mm bolts to get off. It sits on top of a rod and it clearly turns it when the bike is on... to control butterflies maybe? Thats where it looks like it goes. Anyway, after turning the bike off this thing (which I had not re-attached because I was distracted) started going mental and cycling and making a clicking noise. I had to disconnect that battery to make it stop.

So I reattached it and then started it again and it definately is running a high idle. It also displays a fail message.

Does anyone know what this is? I have searched for high idles, PCV and fail message on this site and cant find any answers. I get the impression it is a quick fix which is why I havent disconnect the PCV yet.

Can anybody help??
  2. Tom H Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511
    Update: I removed the PCV and it still runs a FAIL message and a high idle...
  3. Tom H Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511
    OK, so the answer to my journey of self discovery for anyone this has happened to...

What was wrong was the cover and controller for the part of the throttle body that controls the butterfly position. If, for some reason, you take it off and then you cant get it back on again - or remember its position you need to set the butterfly to fully closed by twisting the controller anti-clockwise. Then, using some kind of tool, you need to turn the controller fully clockwise (to match the closed position of the butterfly). If you try and put it on now, it wont work. What you have to do is turn the controller clockwise from this position in increments until it slides back on to the throttle body.

It will then run at the correct idle again. You may have to reset the TPS.
    Craig 1991 likes this.