1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc petcock rubber o ring - what's the trick?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Myles Walshe, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Been and gone, TL1000R & FIreblade
    Hi fellow husky riders. I noticed a fuel leak from the petcock after my last race. I've removed it and cleaned away the crud that was built up but now when I try and tighten up the petcock to the tank the rubber o ring/washer keeps moving/squashing out of one side as I tighten the two screws up. I wouldn't even say I'm over tightening them screws before the washer pushes out.. any help much appreciated! I'm on a 2008 wr250 if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Myles
  2. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm not sure what's going on there. It might help to have all traces of gas/oil mix removed from the o-ring and its seating areas--it might be lubricated to the point that it's too slippery to stay put under force. If that doesn't work, inspect the seating area for the o-ring carefully--any damage there? If all looks good, then it might be worth just trying a new o-ring.
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  3. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks dfeckel, I'd not even thought about it being covered in petrol.. Will dry it off and try again!
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    I replaced my whole petcock, it wasn't that much
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  5. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've been trying to find a replacement one but nothing in the UK it seems. Where do you get yours from?. I'm happy to go universal with a replacement one. Was surprised how basic the set up was.. cheap plastic thread formed from the tank that the petcock screws on to. Was expecting a filter type petcock but mine just has a little straw tube.. Will post a picture in a minute as someone might say I've not got the right o ring or even petcock.
  6. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here is what was happening to the o ring. Have dried it of and tried again and appears better seated 20131219_170559.jpg 20131219_171120.jpg

Here is the petcock and o ring... does this look normal to everyone? I noticed the screws were already a bit chewed so I suspect the last owner had a similar leak issue. Possibly of home made repair so always good to get some expert advise!
    20131219_170758.jpg
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    in picture 3 look at the threads inside the petcock at the tube, there should be a screen that's shaped like a tube
    I bought mine at my local dealer OEM part
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  8. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks.. I wondered whether something was missing as all the photos I've seen have a kind of filter looking thing which I guess the straw tube goes in.. off to my local dealer tomorrow.. hopefully they are still accepting that the WR exists rather than the all new ktm/husqvarna range!

Thanks again for your help/advice
  9. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
  10. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
  11. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Update - bit of drying out of the o ring and using a flat head screwdriver to hold the o ring in place and bingo, dry petcock.. need to ride it and make sure it holds but so far so good. Cheers for all the advise.
  12. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    It may be that the oring isn't the correct one. It looks a little fat to me.:excuseme:
    Hylomar gasket sealer works good for holding o rings in place and is completely fuel resistant.
    Myles Walshe likes this.