petrol leaking from carb, overflowing?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Chris Sykes, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Chris Sykes Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 125
    Ive just given my carb a clean up while replacing the top end on my wr125 and when i turn the fuel on it pours out of the overflow pipe coming out of the bottom of the float bowl.
    Could i have not the floats out? or are they not closing the fuel coming into the bowl off when it fills up?

The carb is a Mikuni 38mm TMX

Cheers
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Maybe your float is just stuck? Mine does that sometimes. Just tap it lightly with the butt of a screwdriver (or a rock like I do out on the trail) and see if it stops.
  3. Chris Sykes Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 125
    Thanks, that might be the case, it was running fine before and wouldnt drip at all.

Ive taken the carb off and have got the float bowl off.
    If i hold the carb upside down the floats do not sit square they actually they sit slightly higher (closer to the top of the bowl, if that makes sense)
    Is this normal?

Ill stick it back together now to see if it was just the float getting stuck. Cheers, Chris
  4. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I'm not sure what your float level should be set at but from what you say it sounds like it's set too low(as in not far enough away from the top of the float bowl) and allowing too much gas into the bowl and not seating the float valve into the seat , shutting off the fuel when full. If this is the case and it's not just stuck you will have to measure and set the floats again. From my experience they are usually just a little off of parallel with the carburator to float bowl mating surface(floats and bowl mating surface) and more towards the going towards the bottom of the float bowl , slightly.This will also have an effect on how your bike carburates(running lean or rich) When you set the float height you only want the float tang touching the float valve contact point(small spring loaded pin sticking out of the valve) not compressing the small plunger on the end of the float valve.
  5. Chris Sykes Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 125
    Well it still seems to be leaking :( so i guess its not sticking.

Waserman, thanks for the advice.
    I think your are right, my float sits too high by the looks of it. Heres a couple of photo's.
    As you can see the float seems to settle close to the top of the bowl.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

So setting the float height then, what do i need to do exactly, is there a step by step guide?
    Or could you point out what the float 'tang' is on the photos?
    This is about as far as im happy to dig into a carb so dont want to mess anything up haha.

The screw looks a bit fudged so i best replace that while im in there.
    Also, how much is the afr affected by the float level, should i just need to tweak the mixture screw a little?
  6. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    The screw looks a bit fudged so i best replace that while im in there.
    Also, how much is the afr affected by the float level, should i just need to tweak the mixture screw a little?

Looking down at the "fudged screw", which will be on your right hand side the TANG is the small metal tab in the center of float just to the left of the screw. You will see 2 tiny wires going around it , this is what you use to set your float level, you will gently bend it to set the height of the float level. Yours will need to be bent towards the "top" of the carburator body in order to set it correctly. In your shop/owners manual there should be a figure for the correct height, usually in milimeters. If you don't have that number and no one on here chimes in as to what it is , I would start with the line down the side of the float just being paralell or a little above the float bowl mating surface. If you do have or get the recomended float height then you would measure from the float bowl mating surface to the bottom of the float(or top with the carburator held not completely upside down but over enough to just seat against the valve spring loaded pin) but not compressing it. Hope this helps.
  7. Chris Sykes Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 125
    Ive had a look in my manual and cant find anything relating to the float height.
    Under the carb identification it says: Float - g6,1 (i guess this is just the name of it?)

If anybody does know the correct height that would be useful!

Thanks for the help anyway mate!
  8. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Well like I said the floats need to more towards parallel with the float bowl mating surface in order to stop the feul from running out the over flow tubes . Your 1st picture shows the float casting line down the side of the float which should be closer to parallel with the carburator to bowl mating surface . You should be able to call your dealer service department for the float level spec .
  9. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    With the bowl off, put a piece of fuel line on the carb. Fill a shallow bowl with gasoline. Lower the carb into the bowl of gas as you gently blow thru the fuel line. The float should float up and shut off the air when the gas level gets near the bowl mating surface.

Sounds like you may have a piece of garbage stuck up in the needle valve area.

A different way is to use a piece of clear tubing with the bowl installed and a regular fuel supply to check the float level.

[IMG]
  10. Chris Sykes Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 125
    Thanks ill give that a try!