1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Piston Clearance

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mkfox, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    I have tried to search this before asking, but apparently I am blind and can not find in my manual the piston clearance specs for 2002 WR250. I noticed some piston manufacturers have one size fits all at 66.4mm, but Wossner lists oversizes also. I want to give the Wossner pistons a try, and want to order the best fit without going too tight after getting cylinder measurements. Want to triple check everything and get it right. This will be my first top end job.
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    what size is on the top of your existing piston?
    wossner do 4 piston sizes the first three are only a .0thou different.
    there is a .06 clearence on them, are you getting the cylinder nikasiled-sleeved or just putting new piston in?
    if its being sent off suply the first piston to the company and they will hone it to suit.
  3. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Few terminology issues, I'm sure the difference in wossner's pistons is one TENthousanth between them, and the clearance may be .007, which sounds very loose for a fresh bore.....
  4. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    From my 09 WR250 manual: Piston clearance should be 0.04-0.06mm. Wear limit 0.08mm. Bore measured 10 mm from top. Piston measured 24mm from the bottom of skirt.

Also, measure the bore with a bore gauge front to back and side to side, if you want accuracy. Calipers don't cut it. Measure the piston with a micometer.
    MotoMarc36 likes this.
  5. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800

Dude, you gotta be careful, those numbers are really whacky and somebody might read this and try to build a motor based on it.

As per the manual for my 2012, the piston-to-cylinder clearance should be 0.04-0.06mm (0.0015-0.0024 inches).
    MotoMarc36 likes this.
  6. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Thank you for the info. I finally found the correct info in my manual. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I don't know if there will be a piston size or not. The PO said it was rebuilt with Wiseco about 2004 or so, and not used since 07. I'm going to put a fresh one in no matter what. I do a ln't have a good shop nearby, but I have a relationship with a local automotive machine shop who will help me mic the cylinder dimentions.
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    sorry i missed a zero. yup 0.06 is right as per wossner site, my bad :(