Power Commander 5 - I don't quite get it..

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by cjard, Mar 10, 2012.

1. cjard Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    So I'm reading the blurb about PCV and it's saying..

..map switch
    ..gear input
    ..NEW Power Commander V w/ Built in Ignition Control, gain control over fuel delivery AND timing with the new Power Commander V
    ..MAP sensor
    ..AFR sensor

And I'm reading it and thinking.. er.. isn't that an ECU? Why is this thing a plugin for your existing ECU when it pretty much replaces it anyway? The only things I can think my ECU would still be useful for after putting one of those bad boys on.. would be waiting until the motor is running before activating the headlight relay and running the rev counter ;)

So, yeah - is it just that the ECU is so lame and unprogrammable that one of these would be fitted, making the ECU redundant?
  2. smokinrider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2011, TE250 2010 & 2006,
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE450 2006&2008, WR125, SM610 TE250
    PCV only adjusts fueling post ecu. the ecu still has full control over ignition and timing.
  3. DynojetResearch Husqvarna
    A Class

PCV for the Mikuni ECU (and some Keihin) does have full control over the timing also. part #23-009 would cover all Mikuni ECU and give you fuel and timing control.

To answer cjard question - the fueling and timing adjustments the PCV is doing is still based on the stock ECUs tables. We are simply making adjustments to them post ECU. You are right in that it is somewhat redundant in everything the PCV can do these days. It would actually be easier for us to do all the fueling and timing instead of making trims and still reporting back to the ECU to make it happy. The problem with stand alone ECUs is that it would only take one small change from the manufacturer and we would have to design a whole new unit, running costs up dramatically.
  4. tuplavee Husqvarna
    B Class

Does Autotune adjust ignition?
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Not that I know of...
  6. DynojetResearch Husqvarna
    A Class

Auto tune cannot adjust the timing. This is done by either trial and error or getting on a dyno with load control