Power Commander vs iBeat?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by mndirtrider, Nov 1, 2010.

1. mndirtrider Husqvarna
    B Class

I have a 2010 TXC 250 that doesn't seem to be running correctly. There is a bog off idle. It's not one of the early VIN numbers so I don't think it needs reflashed.

My dealer is 3 hours away so it's hard to bring it in for tuning so I want to get something I can tune myself. Which is the better, easier software for $300, the Power Commander or the iBeat?

I'm new to Husky and EFI so I'm not sure which direction to go. The bike is pretty sweet though even with the slight bog off the bottom.
  2. 4DIRT Husqvarna
    B Class

I put a powercommander on my 450 and dyno tuned it and it flys. Power from start to finish.
  3. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

A friend used the JD Jetting kit on his 310, VERY easy to use and it's only $200~, I rode it before(race mode) and after... less $$ for almost the same thing. I can't imagine spending more money to achieve basicly the same thing unless you like to tinker with your bike. You plug the kit in, spend 5 minutes and off you go!
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    They are 2 different things.

iBeat is referred to in their operating manual as a "IDT" - integrated diagnostics tool. While you can make some adjustments with it for tuning it will never do as much for tuning as a Power commander with autotune. Personally I would not use the PC V without autotune, that fills in places in the map that do not exist in the manufacturers maps they provide.

Last I checked the James Dean efi tuner only existed for the 310.

If it were me, I would look around and possibly pick things up used. I know there was an ibeat/pcv/autotune combination that sold in the classifieds recently.

For the record, there are many things (such as diagnostics) where the ibeat will be required to find out what is wrong. But if you are 3 hours away from your dealer, in theory, that should cover it.
  5. mndirtrider Husqvarna
    B Class

I'm going to try the power commander. It should be in by the weekend so I'll try tuning it then. My dealer said he did some "mechanical and electrical" things besides the iBeat to tune it when I bought it. He thought he had it but it's not quite right. I may have to bring it back to him to put it back to stock if the power commander can't get it better on the bottom.

Coffee, is there a reason the PC V won't help on it's own? Or is it just easier to use auto tune with it?

Thanks for the info on the differences, it helped a lot. This is exciting new territory for me and I hope it all works out...
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Auto tune will accommodate for all sorts of things the stock maps will not have. Pipes, tps setting, etc, In addition they do not do anything regards to decel, all the maps are for steady state or acceleration.

My guess it is you will be happier with the PCV, but not as happy as you would otherwise be with the auto tune also.
  7. mndirtrider Husqvarna
    B Class

PCV and auto tune = AWESOME!!! This bike is the best bike I've ever ridden. It's light, easy to turn and handle and it's a rocket! Thanks for all the info. I'm definetly a Husky convert. Hopefully it's reliable as well.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    :)

Did you buy it? Or borrow it? (it = autotune)

It is possible to disconnect it once you have it tuned up for your liking, although in general it is good to keep on.
  9. mndirtrider Husqvarna
    B Class

I couldn't find a dyno shop open on the weekend so I ended up buying one. I figured I would need it for any other FI bike I get in the future. I'm hoping the wife likes the bike and if it proves realiable we may upgrade her KTM 200 for the TE310 so I would need it there also.

I am leaving it on the bike. If I ever need to loan it out I can pull it out pretty easy.