1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc powervalve cover left side leaking, and clutch drag...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Bryan M, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Bryan M Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    10 GasGas ec300, 12 Ducati Monster
    Hi guys, my 12 Husky wr300 has a few issues that are needing some attention. the powervalve cover on the left side has carbon all around it, and the bolts are all tight? is this common? is there a gasket behind it i should maybe replace? And also the clutch drag is the worst of any bike i have ever owned. So bad the idle speed changes big time with the clutch in, bike wont start in gear, and wants to creep the min you put it in gear. I have free play at the lever like i should, and i run maxima MTL trans oil, any ideas?
  2. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    Sounds like your outer clutch basket is notched.I believe there is a gasket on pv cover,mine has weeped since new.
  3. Bryan M Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    10 GasGas ec300, 12 Ducati Monster
    so will it hurt it to keep riding it? is it an easy fix? bike doesnt even have 20 hrs yet?
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    First, make sure that your clutch is adjusted correctly right at the clutch itself, The adjuster on the pressure plate cover needs to be no more, and no less than 1/4 turn from bottoming. Then, get a Terminator clutch cable from Motion Pro. It isn't listed, but they will make it for you. This will keep the cable housing from compressing when you pull in the clutch, so that all the movement from the lever will translate into movement of the pressure plate.
    bdl507 likes this.
  5. broken biker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1994 TE 610 2012 WR 300
    my 2012 has same probs & more.would of been a good bike if the top end was re-engineered to prevent barrel cracking & top end seizures
  6. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    With only 20 hours, I doubt the basket is notched.

The clutches can be a little bit draggy on these. Make sure you don't have too much freeplay at the lever, make sure you're not running too thick a trans fluid. The Terminator cable helps but I honestly didn't think it was the panacea everyone made it out to be. I generally don't start mine in gear... You can try running a different trans oil too, and adjusting the clutch.

Broken Biker, it sounds like something isn't right with your bike. Top end seizures don't just happen. My bike (2012) has 700 hard miles on (not sure on hours, probably 40-50?), zero problems. Sounds like you have an air leak, or bad jetting, or something...

My power valve cover "weeps" slightly. I've seen lots of 2-stroke bikes that do this, it's not a WR thing. If it really bothers you, clean it when you wash your bike?
  7. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    Every one needs to learn to adjust free play at basket it will have way more throw and not drag at all if all parts are in good shape and its adjusted right.I could start my 300 in any gear at any time hot or cold.