1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc pre mix problem

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by gordon lindsay, Jun 26, 2013.

1. gordon lindsay Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    dtr 125
    I have just dug my wre 125 out the shed which I dumped in there because of an electrical problem 6 months ago. I fitted a new stator and flywheel and I had a nice bright spark so problem fixed and it kicked up on the fourth kick it was smokey as hell but running. The bike is running pre mix but I forgot to drain the carb when I last put the bike away so I drained the carb and the petrol that came out was green but the premix in the tank is still a nice red colour. The problem I have now is it keeps fowling the plug with green oiley petrol so Im going to clean the carb out tomorrow, do you think the premix thats still in the tank would still be ok to use thanks
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    If you didn't add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank before you stored it, you would definitely want to drain the fuel and start with fresh. This will eliminate any doubt for that point of the process of elimination. Get a new sparkplug too. Sometimes old fuel residue in the crank takes a while to get purged.
  3. gordon lindsay Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    dtr 125
    I,ve just ordered up a couple of new plugs and I'll get new fuel tomorrow. How long can you you keep pre mix for before it goes bad thanks.
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Well, here in California, gasoline can go bad in the carb in as little as one week. We have ethanol mixed in, and that stuff has a very bad reaction with the aluminum float bowl. The stuff in the tank lasts a bit longer, but I always use a stabilizer in my fuel, so that I can be sure that it is good after a few months. As a general rule, I will drain the carb after every ride, and drain the tank (and use the fuel in something else) if I think that the bike might have to stand unridden for more than a month or two.
  5. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    With fuel stabilizer added I can use premix up to a year. Without it the fuel goes really bad after 3 months. Cam.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    replace it. Old fuel is problematic. Eliminate any issue quick and EZ by running fresh gas and oil.
  7. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    The green color is likely ethanol seperating from the gas,i had that problem with my carb after not riding for 6 months had to tear the whole carb apart and clean it,,a tip i always turn the fuel off about a 1/4 mile from the truck so the bowl will be empty when you transport!!
    steadydirt likes this.
  8. gordon lindsay Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    dtr 125
    I used to do a similer thing I would just turn the tap off and then the bike idle until it ran out. I did not do it this time as I think I was just sick of messing with it and threw it the shed
  9. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    Yup understood,,if you make it a habit then its easier to diag a problem...
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    oil contaminates the fuel, so even if you use stabilizer it is better to use the fuel in something less expensive such as a weed whacker
    oh and the fuel also breaks the oil down in time, one month and the fuel is dead in my book
  11. gordon lindsay Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    dtr 125
    I just checked my last post on here from when I was aking for advice on the electrical problem and that was november 2012 so that pre mix has been in the bike for 8 months.:rolleyes:
  12. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    Noooooooo...Take the carb apart and clean..:banghead:
    2premo likes this.
  13. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    I like to use Berrymans carb clean its the best cleaner period,,blow every hole out with compressed air,it'll be good as new!!!:thumbsup:
  14. gordon lindsay Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    dtr 125
    I cleaned the carb out , put a brand new spark plug in and fresh pre mix and on the first kick it fired up then died so I took the plug out and it had fouled the plug with the same green oily fuel and it was also dripping from the exhaust. The next thing I tried was take the carb out and cleaned it through again then I took the exhaust off and wiped off the exhaust port and then I left the plug out and pushed the kickstart down slowley and looked in the cylinder and the piston and cylinder was coated in the green oily fuel so I left the bike sitting for an hour with no plug, carb or exhaust then put it back together this time it fired up first kick then died after ten seconds again with a fouled oily green plug.:mad::mad:
  15. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    What kind of oil and are your ratio's rite,,also did you ever mess with jetting or is it all stock.:thinking:
  16. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    be patient the crank area has this goo in it
    snowmobiles have a drain too bad these dont
  17. gordon lindsay Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    dtr 125
    Its got standard jetting and has always run fine on pre mix 125ml stroke to 5 litres of fuel.
  18. gordon lindsay Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    dtr 125
    Would it be worth taking the cylinder off and having a look.
  19. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    I really think you have a plugged passage in the carb circuit because of the fuel sitting for so long,,if you can get a carb from a friend and it runs problem solved,,like i said too my bike sat for 6 months with old fuel in it wouldn't start took the carb off found most of the circuits plugged solid,,get a good carb cleaner like Berrymans preferably one that has a basket/tub so you can leave the carb body in the cleaner for awhile to desolve all the crud,and blow all the passages out good,,tip make sure your floats not leaking..
  20. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I wonder if you had a leaky needle and seat, and your carb leaked a bunch of gas down into the crankcase. The gas would evaporate, leave the oil behind and cause the problems you're talking about. Despite people thinking so, gas will not go bad to the point that it will cause a problem in 6 or 8 months.