Proper technique for front wheel/fork alignment

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by JPinNC, May 27, 2011.

1. JPinNC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 300 XC-W
    '09 TXC250

I had a moderate low side awhile back, nothing serious but enough to bend my Zeta (Cycra) Probend handguard on the left side. Everything was out of whack, so I got everything straightened back up/aligned but something "just isn't right". The bike just doesn't track like it did. It is subtle. Checked everything over...slightly bent handlebar which I will replace, but everything else checks out OK. I was wondering if I got the front wheel on incorrectly, so I have binding or a misalignment up front. So what do you all do? Tighten front axle, then tighten left front fork/axle bolts, then compress suspension a few times, spin wheel and hit the brake a few times, then tighten right front fork/axle bolts. BTW I don't have a fork alignment tool like the Motion Pro.
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Disregard the wobble item, still the essentials...

Here is my dealer's story on forks and axles. Not saying this is the cure for the wobble, because right now, no one knows.

"Now that the debate on torque values is over.??? When you set LH fork leg heigth in the clamp Do Not think the other side will be the same, get it close then set it by how the axle goes in. You might have to either lower or raise it, so the axle goes in smooth. You can usually see it hitting the top or bottom of the axle hole on the LH side. Once you get the axle to just slide gently from one side to the other it is lined up properly. Now one side might be up or slightly down on the rings this is ok and it is right. You can tell if have to use palm of your hand or mallet to get the axle thru the forks when putting front wheel on. Later George
    After the forks are installed to the correct heigth(where you want them), where the axle slides thru nicely, torque the clamp bolts both sides upper and lower to specs. With wheel installed and axle nut tight, thighten lower fork leg axle pinch bolts on the LH side( making sure the grab bar on the RH side of the axle is not touching the fork protecter)now slam it into a wall then tighten the axle pinch bolts on the RH side.
    If while riding and you smack anything log, rock,get caught in a rut where you've dragged the lower leg, or rubbed it hard just loosen the pinch bolts and give it a good smack into anything solid to realign it on the axle. I think this is main reason other than dirt contamination fork seals wear out and leak. Later George
  3. JPinNC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 300 XC-W
  4. JPinNC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 300 XC-W
    Followed the procedure outlined above and it definitely did the trick. The funky though subtle handling issues are 99% better. Also played around with the suspension again today and definitely like the new settings better.