Putting 'The Band' back together - Up on Cripple Creek

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, Mar 2, 2014.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Here's a few pics of my 010 TC250, rekluse enabled Husky along one of the large creeks here that drain the mountains of Cebu into the ocean ... (This is really a river here but, best I can do now for a creek)

I'm thinking both the pics and the video below show the difference between my mid-range priced devices (Kodak PlaySport camera and ContourRoam cam) and the upper level type devices ...

After seeing many, many pics and videos from different angles and from all times of the day from my photo\video gear, it seems that the mid-range priced devices need the light from the sun to be correct or the output suffers ... The more expensive devices, I think, can deal with not so perfect light much better... just my opinion, nothing else but these pics from my ~3 yr old Playsport look AOK on my computer ... I diffidently was trying to keep the sun right for these pics ...

Using my desert experience technique here for parking.
    496_0385.JPG

496_0387.JPG

Parked out on the small island in the creek
    496_0403.JPG

My crew for this shoot ... You can see how bad shooting back into the sunlight can be at times.
    496_0404.JPG
    fredd likes this.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    See that kick stand holding up my bike? Here's how I got it ... See that guy sitting on that rock on the right side of the pic?
    496_0410.JPG

Thats him up on the side of the mountain cutting firewood or something ... He's way up and its steep2x up that side ... I rode the Husky out on that island AND then discovered, there are no sticks out there AND that island is all rock. So I can't dig the tire into it to hold the bike up. That guy heard me trying to get my crew members to bring me a stick, so he climbed down, cut me that stick and tossed it across the creek to me to use ... I'll buy him a beer if I ever meet him up close ;) ... These guys are always watching foreigners ....
    496_0394.JPG

496_0400.JPG

496_0395.JPG
    fredd and 268fords like this.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's a few more pics a little farther downstream...
    496_0422.JPG 496_0425.JPG 496_0435.JPG 496_0433.JPG
    fredd and 268fords like this.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Riding off the island and Up Cripple Creek on my Husky ...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8lfpctc5-U

--

Here's a few words on 'The Band' ... All about times gone by and times that most likely will not be reclaimed in the future ... This band was just another group of guys that could write and play actual music ...

--

The Band was a Canadian-American roots rock group that originally consisted of Rick Danko (bass guitar, double bass, fiddle, trombone, vocals), Levon Helm (drums, mandolin, guitar, vocals), Garth Hudson (keyboard instruments, saxophones, trumpet), Richard Manuel (piano, drums, baritone saxophone, vocals) and Robbie Robertson (guitar, vocals). The members of the Band first came together as they joined rockabilly singer Ronnie Hawkins' backing group the Hawks one by one between 1958 and 1963.

Born in Elaine, Arkansas, Helm grew up in Turkey Scratch, Arkansas, a hamlet west of Helena, Arkansas. His parents, Nell and Diamond Helm, cotton farmers and also great lovers of music, encouraged their children to play and sing. Young Lavon (as he was christened) began playing the guitar at the age of eight and also played drums during his formative years. He saw Bill Monroe & his Blue Grass Boys at the age of six and decided then to become a musician.

Arkansas in the 1940s and 50s stood at the confluence of a variety of musical styles—blues, country and R&B—that later became known as rock and roll. Listening to all these styles on the Grand Ole Opry show on radio station WSM and R&B on radio station WLAC out of Nashville, Tennessee influenced Helm. He also saw traveling shows such as F.S. Walcott's Rabbit's Foot Minstrels that featured top African-American artists of the time.

The Band has influenced numerous bands, songwriters, and performers, from the Grateful Dead and The Beatles to Eric Clapton, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Led Zeppelin, Elvis Costello,Elton John, and Phish.

The_Last_Waltz.jpg

Photograph of the Last Waltz, The Band with Bob Dylan and other guests performing I Shall Be Released.
    • seated behind instruments: Garth Hudson (organ), Ringo Starr (drums), Levon Helm (drums)
    • standing: Dr. John, Neil Diamond, Joni Mitchell (hidden), Neil Young, Rick Danko (Bass), Van Morrison, Bob Dylan (guitar), Ronnie Hawkins, Robbie Robertson (guitar)
    • not shown: Richard Manuel, Eric Clapton, Ron Wood
    Jimmy250 and benwiggin2 like this.
  5. djman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te511
    Good stuff ray_ray.Thanks for posting. Love "The Band"
    benwiggin2 and ray_ray like this.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thxs and The Band is another group that did not get all the public acclaim as many other less talented players but inside the music business and professionals, they were well accepted and set a high standard for creating music ... You don't get that group of legendary musicians to come out on stage with you and play unless you have something great yourself ... To me, it seems the music industry has been in a downward spiral for decades ...And I don't understand why ... There has gotta be young-ones out there who have something to offer ... The 60s and 70s were full of many types of music from many different players ... Take rock-&-roll an an example... There was dozens of bands playing rock but with totally different sounds... But still rock&roll ... I am glad I lived in the 70s for sure.
    flyingbob likes this.
  7. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    SCHS Class of '75 :cheers:
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  8. fredd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 kx 450f
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 chopper
    ray_ray likes this.
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm class of '76 ... The bicentennial crowd ... We were rockin' to say the least :) ... Right up to the moment of disco ... That was so weird seeing rock pushed off to the side ... Just about as weird as the Women's Lib movement at that time ... I could not understand (at age 17 / 18) at that time why grown men were telling women that they had to wear bras ...It was down-right confusing to this young man... I wanted the gals to win that one (for sure) and I'm even more glad today that they won that homegrown battle... Sorry youngsters, but you missed it ... The late 60s and 70s that is .....

--
    Here's a little more on The Band followed by a short, real, creek ride here..

This is worth watching.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBQw_COaQc

Watch this video if you wanna hear ~living legends, professional musicians talking about how they hear and make music.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVBeQn9C7I

--
    This is a creek ride :) ... A dry creek :) ... These endless rocks are really hard on my hands and wrists ...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM_uNbSfCCg

I'll name this one Cripple Creek to remind me of The Band each day I ride over or down it ...
  10. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    Wow, awesome. Huge fan of The Band here to.
    ray_ray likes this.
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Ray Ray you must be an old bastard like me. Those names are gold and so important to me as a teenager in the sixties and seventies. Shoot there were some wonderfully talentd musos back then. My now adult sons have all this stuff on their Iphones, they and their mates all love the music from that era.
    ray_ray and benwiggin2 like this.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You pretty much nailed me :) ... And yep, I've said this before, rock&Roll music was great in that time frame and it pretty topped out in the late 70s ... Music in general been going down hill ever since and today, it is about worthless except I'm sure the record company makes $$..

The R&R of the 70s was my life ... We rode around with V8s under the hood and would get someone to buy us beer and then head out to the countryside to get toasted with the music blaring!

--
    The musicians on this thread were true artists wrote their lyrics, and the music and put it all together in a package and played it so well live. Remember that guy Johnny Cougar? He wrote and did all his stuff in his own studio ... Just told the records companys to get off ... Is there no talent out there now? Look at Clapton.. He was in how many bands before he was 30? Maybe all those guys were geniuses? I doubt that but they were song writers, singers, and performers ... I lay blame at the record company for trying to only let their 3-4 type singers a chance to perform.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  13. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    Count me as another 70s rock-n-roll fan'. Music didn't die in the '70s. There has been great R&R since Chuck Berry sang about Maybellene. There is a lot of internet radio that is playing great music old and new. Try; planetpootwaddle.com, Shadow Stevens' listener supported IR station. Great stuff that you haven't heard in decades, as well as new music that you're not going to ever hear on broadcast radio. They play everything, so you may have to wade through some stuff you don't like to find the gems, but the gems are there and are well worth waiting for.
    ray_ray and benwiggin2 like this.