1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc PWK36 for cr125. Have a few ?'s

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by PC., Jun 11, 2011.

1. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Hey all.

Got a 36pwk from a 99' kx125 and not really sure of a good starting point for jetting. It came with a very small 158 main jet and a 45pj. Haven't pulled the cap off, so I dont know what needle it has.

I was thinking of 178/48/kx needle #3. Does that sound safe for a 125 for 60-70 deg. 0-3000'

Also, the carb has a tps sensor/harness. Can I yank that stuff off and silicone up the hole?

I like how the bikes runs with the stock carb up top, but it struggles to stay in the power with my 220#'s on it. I'm just looking for a little more down low without losing much (if any) top. Hope this is the answer as I dont have the scratch for the 144.

Thanks.
  2. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am running the Keihin PWK 36mm Air Striker from the 2011 KTM 150XC. I am running the 170 main jet (Stock), 6.0 slide / throttle valve ( stock is 7.0), NOZH needle in the #2 position (Stock NOZI #3), and a 35 pilot jet. I had to adjust the Air Screw out to 2.5 turns.

WR150
  3. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

I used 5 minute epoxy on the TPS and Fuel soleniod on my PWK. Worked pretty good.
  4. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks! Both of you.

How does the ktm150 carb fit? Is it shorter in length than a standard PWK?
    The one I have is the shorty carb and I'm hoping its long enough to fit the stock boots without stretching.

Sounds like my baseline settings are gonna be rich, so I better bring some leaner jets and plugs with me.
    I'm gonna try the 99 kx125 needle and see how that works, but I have other needles to test with.

Thanks for the input. Gonna try it out this weekend and see how it works.
    Although the bike is flat ripping right now with the stock carb and jetting. Once the pv arm was adjusted and the motor loosened up this bike has become a pleasure to ride.
  5. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have a NOZH if you want try it
  6. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

My short pwk is the same length as my tmxx
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I got the carb installed yesterday, but my stock throttle cable was frayed and hanging by a single strand of wire. I tried an extra wr250/300 cable that I have lying around, but the steel cable was too short and wouldn't allow the slide to close all the way.

just wondering, what throttle cable are you guys using?
  8. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am using stock cable but with the Mikuni TMX cable adjuster in top of carb.
  9. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

i run a wr250 cable on my tmxx and when i was playing with the PWK it worked with both. I had to run a different adjuster on top of the PWK to allow me to run both carbs without touching any other cable slack ajustments, but the PWK adjuster is shorter than the TMXX peice. Both are curved units. Sudco sells a variety of adjusters for carb tops, my local small shop stocked a few of them.
  10. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I put the TMXX elbow on the PWK top and it doesn't work with the wr300 cable. Plenty of slack in the sheathing, but the cable itself seems too short. I'll get a new 125 cable and that should solve the problem.

montgob1, what pwk are you using?
    And do you think its an improvement over the mikuni?
  11. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Get a Ktm 2 stroke Cable , They are the same Domino set up just about 6" longer. I got mine from Boss, he usually has them in stock and they are only like $15.00
  12. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

I "used" a 38pwk from a newer yz250. It had the TPS and the soleniod. It is the short version. I never dialed it in, needed different needle i think, i ran 4 different needles in one day trying to get it to outperform my mikuni. Walt sent me some KTM needles but i have been to busy doing moto that i havnt had time to fool with the needles walt sent. I didnt like the 125 cable because it routed behind the triples, i was worried it would snag on my steering damper, i swapped for the motion pro 250/300 cable not long after i got the bike. I had a pile of cable adjusters ( i do vintage stuff which means i have lots of worthless parts) and i wanted to be able to swap from the tmxx to the PWK without any cable adjustments so i found an angle adjuster for the pwk that was shorter than the stock peice and it seemed to do the trick. Your welcome to try my 38pwk shorty if you want to compare to the 36 when your tuning. I have 3 PWK slides as well, 5,6,7.
  13. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I finally got around to fixing the issue today..... the issue was the elbow on top of the PWK carb was about 1/2" too long. I dremelled 1/2" off and it works a treat. Just need to seal the cable to carb top connection with elec. tape.

I did 2 quick pulls down the street, but it feels pretty good and pulled hard at wot. Going out tomorrow for a real test.
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    N7NW #3 (kx125 needle)
    1000-2500'
    65-70f/low humidity
    09' cr125, fmf fatty, tcII, all else stock.

Huge improvement! This is the carb that should have came on the bike.
    Power hits earlier, harder and feels crisp and sharp. A 1500' climb had very little effect on power or responsiveness. The tmxx always felt good on top, but very unresponsive in the low/mid and it could not pull 6th gear no matter what. I have none of those complaints anymore and can now make the 5-6 shift without dropping off.

I took a shot in the dark at jetting, bolted it on and it was an instant and large improvement. The pilot was rich and the main felt a little rich as well, so there's still a little improvement to be had. The needle and clip position felt great though and the midrange power was superb.

In the tmxx's defense, the only thing I tried with it was the RM needle and it was a step backwards in performance for me. I know some people have had good luck with the tmxx mods available, but they're not cheap and nobody seems to be raving about them like I'm raving about this carb. This was a dramatic change for the better and without a doubt the best $50 I've ever spent on a power adder. This carb makes more power where the small bore needs it.
  15. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Try the suzuki NEDx series of needles , i have been useing them for a little while , huge improvement.
  16. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks. I called Hillsboro KTM about the NOZx needles and they want $23 each. Pass.....

The kx needle in there is very good as well and I'd recommend it to anybody. You got a small bore too?
  17. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

yes I do, these Suzuki needles are very much like the NOZx series but with a longer first taper , so they are much cleaner on the bottom and they are $13.00. JerseyDevil on KTMTALK has done alot of testing with these needles and from what I have read everyone likes them. I have have been testing them for about a month and I have to say they are really better than anything I have tried and I have tried about every needle that makes sense to use.
  18. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

what slide?
  19. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I prefer the #6 over the #7. I think that they are trying to run too rich a pilot. With the #6 you can run the 35 pilot.
  20. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have got my old tmx on my 2008 cr144 running perfect for track use it will run rich just trail riding but I do 90% track anyways. It will pull from low to very high as good as my sons 2010 yz 125 that I thought was jetted good.