1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc R&D HUSKY 360 HEAD

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MOTORHEAD, May 25, 2012.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    R&D Husky used to make a 360 head that had a built in compression release ( I think that's what it was anyway ) that allowed for easy starting of the big 360 motors.

They don't make those anymore, so I'm looking at making one myself. Problem is I'm not 100% sure how they worked and I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight on them ?

Maybe someone even has one they're willing to part with ?
  2. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Maybe you can find schematics on the old XR's? I know they used a decompression system.
  3. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    it works using a vacuum line from the intake manifold that closes a decomp valve tapped into the head, the decomp valve is same as used on easy start briggs and stratton lawn mowers.mine was slightly off to one side of the spark plug.omg has one fitted to his bike i think.
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yeah, I was thinking it was a vac deal. So you have a decompression system on your bike?
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Clogging hasn't ever been a problem on mine. It sure makes kicking a breeze. The R&D head is a completely new casting. That way they have a solid block of metal where the decomp valve goes. If you do it yourself you will be going through the water jacket. Not impossible but you probably need to do some welding.
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yeah, I've got that covered. I'm just looking for a valve now. Seems I remember seeing something about a neat little decompression valve some outfit was making, but I can't remember...........
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    OK, after doing some googling for the last couple of hours I have come to find that the little push button style releases like on a Husky chainsaw are the way to go. There are even spin-offs for Harley's.
  8. colemanapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got an old R&D head that has a crack somewhere in it. If you'd like to check it out, I can send along to you. PM me.

The decomp fitting itself is from Victa 2 stroke lawn equipment http://www.hwlr.com.au/index.php/featured-products/160-victa-decompressor

I've sourced another decomp head but have yet to fit the decomp system to it. I roasted my motor when the old head cracked or it could have been vice/versa. Motors all back and running but I need to get that decomp going or I'm not riding it. Been there, hated it. I thought about going old school with a lever and just use a fitting from an old yamaha or something but that AUTO decomp is really a nice feature. I thing you really need to route it to the carb itself and not the rubber boot as that may have contributed to my motors demise. Halls tapped the line in the crank case after it was all put together and it blew my decomp fitting apart so thats not where to route it.

Wally, where's yours tapped in?
    Like this?
    http://www.firstclassmotorcycles.com.au/downloads/SPEDOC1.doc.pdf
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Yes, I tapped mine into the side of the carb as shown in the picks except mine is a PWK.
  11. colemanapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Wally. Its time to get this beast back in the woods. I tap in tonight. I feel like I'm riding a furnace when on the big 4 St.

Mhead,
    With the push button, aside from starting, you'd be missing out on some of the biggest advantages of the auto decomp. Pop Starting. you can lock up the rear wheel of the 360 when heading into a corner, no clutch, killl the motor, then as soon as you want to get back on the gas, let off the rear brake and the beast roars to life. Also makes it much harder to stall. It'll keep spinning with barely and exhaust note.
    I assume you would be remotely accessing that push button? Mines got a large tank and it'd be tough to reach that button and kick the bike at the same time. Itd still be better than no decomp at all.
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Hmmm, never thought of all that. No stall easy start system. ??:thinking: ?? I was just thinking about dead engine starts at races. May just have to do the vacuum thing.
  13. CharlesA920 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR360 & CX250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris BigBoss 6x6
    Anybody got a lead on where I can buy a decomp head for my 360?
    Or any particulars on who to send mine to for addition of a fitting a auto decompression?
  14. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
  15. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    you have a decompressor head for a 360 in the picture, is it on or off the bike, I would like some close-ups as I am about to mimic it and would like to cheat if that is the case here, if it's off and you don't mind I would like to borrow it and would pay all shipping
  16. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    It's on the bike but I can take it off and take pics and measure whatever you need. I know it's silly but I'm leery of sending it out because you can't get them anymore. Let me know what you'd like pics/measurements of.
  17. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    mainly how the valve fits top and bottom, depth of bore and taper where it fits
    if you send it UPS they are very reliable and extremely safe
    it is my attempt to copy the fit design to make 2 one for mine and another for my brothers
    if you send it right after Christmas it would be very safe, I need the info for a machinist
  18. colemanapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got a spare R&D head that's I could send out for you to check out.
    juicypips likes this.
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I will pay shipping please PM me on this
  20. Xriderdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR360 SW / WR360 IT / FE501 AU
    Other Motorcycles:
    BUL MK3,KAW KE100,CZ 988-1,YAM FZ1
    The R&D head is one of the best aftermarket parts I have ever purchased. I can literally push start my 360 by walking beside it for a few feet. The no stall factor and easy starting especially on a tricky trail section are huge improvements to the stock head.

Good luck on this project!
    Motosportz likes this.