Race Fuel as an additive to pump gas?

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by PALMER84ONE, Aug 22, 2008.

1. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Looked on the TT forum and nothing but one. Sunoco! Nothing hear also. No this is not a what is best or whatever like oil. Its do you, are you what is availabe in 5 gl. drums in your area?
    So, what type of Race fuel are you guys (if any) adding to your pump gas to give a good coat of lead to your TI valves?

Thanks,

Gary
  2. FreakinTE Husqvarna
    AA Class

You can buy 5 gallons of Sunoco here, www.buyracegas.com. 110 octane "purple" should be fine to mix 1 part with 3 parts premium pump gas. So you'll have 20 gallons in the end. The 5 gallons of Sunoco is around $70 plus shipping. Would probably be better to find a local source where you can go pick it up.
  3. FreakinTE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Go to Sunocoinc.com to find a local distributor under the race gas section. My local one http://www.worldwideracingfuels.com/ has much better prices than the first one I mentioned. Only $48 for 5 gallons and they also have 15 gallon mini drums for $150. Still shipping is at least $30 for 5 gallons so it's better to find a place where you can pick it up.
  4. flight120 Husqvarna
    B Class

There's a gas station with 100 octane out of the pumps about two miles from my house ($6.80 a gallon). I add 2 gallons for every three gallons of premium. An added bonus is that their normal gas is about $.08 cheaper than other stations around.

Tommy
  5. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is that leaded fuel you are getting? I hear that leaded, at a ratio of 4 to one is good to run in the TE, it helps the TI valves with a little extra life. I live in So. CA. No CO, thanks for the input. I could probably find that at the airport? not sure.

Gary
  6. oregon_rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

The LTR txc510 R & D bike gets a little aviation 100LL to add lead and bump octane - 25% 100LL to 75% chevron premium. You can see the lead on the tailpipe outlet. There is enough lead in the 25% 100LL to bump the octane in the 75% chevron premium - not sure of the overall octane - but no pinging and good throttle response. Jetting for trail work is stock with accellerator pump delayed and 35 leak jet.

jeff
  7. Stapleking Husqvarna
    A Class

Whoa Nellie.....do NOT put av gas in your motor vehicles! The chemical additives used in aviation fuel will destroy bits and pieces of your fuel system. :eek:

Also, It's problematic whether leaded gas will do anything for Ti valves. What kills them is extreme exhaust-gas temps from low compression or poor flame travel across the piston - neither of which is an issue with current Husky motors.

Your motors are designed to run on premium unleaded and will do fine on it. Morover, unless you are experiencing detonation, higher octane is wasted.
  8. flight120 Husqvarna
    B Class

Not sure, but I don't think it's leaded. I'm just trying to satisfy octane requirements.

Everything I see in the paperwork for my bike specifies 94 octane. Here in Colorado our premium is 91. Probably doesn't make a difference, (especially as slow as I am :o) but it's easy, convenient and gives me peace of mind. By the time I'm experiencing detonation, I'm already kicking myself for putting crap in my fuel tank so i try to avoid that.

Tommy
  9. oregon_rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

When running in the tight stuff - I do get a little ping/knock on chevron supreme. In the wintertime we also have ethanol blend fuels which makes things a bit worse.

You have been reading too much stuff on the internet and stuff spread by Race Fuel vendors to not use 100LL. A little 100LL blended in with pump gas will do zero harm to any component in the motor/fuel system. I called VP Racing and got hooked up with one of their chemist/engineers and asked what would be better to blend with some c-12 I had, pump or av-gas. He didn't want to tell me until I told him my wife was 9 and half months pregnant and I couldn't afford to run it straight. His answer = It is better to blend 100LL av gas with the VP race gas.

jeff

p.s. Talking fuel is like talking politics in a bar - kinda useless to argue... Can we talk about something we can all agree on? - like favorite chain lube or motor oil instead? ;)
  10. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:

Like I said before, just your input. This is not a best thread. Like oil nuts get.
    And the bolded, that will prolly never hapen...
  11. oregon_rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

For a Race Gas - I really like sunoco, but have recently had difficulty finding it locally - hence the splash of 100LL into the mix... I look at the specific gravity of the fuel and try to pick something close to .74 so that there is minimal effect on my jetting. Sunoco standard looks good in this regard.

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consumer/RaceFuels/TraditionalFuels/

Hotter blends of fuel tend to have a specific gravity closer to .71 - it flows more easily and, without rejetting, will make the bike run rich. You lean the jetting to compensate. I don't like going this route - because if I run out of fuel on the trail and need to borrow standard pump gas off a friend - I will then be lean and running hot. The other thing to worry about if you are racing is accidentally grab the wrong fuel jug at a gas stop...

Oh, and I don't like alot of lead because the motor doesn't need all that much and Les bitches at me if he has to scrape a bunch of lead deposits off the top of the piston and exhaust ports at rebuild time... Some of the race fuels have *alot* of lead...

jeff
  12. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    Picked up some Sunoco Green 112. So I'll mix it at 4 pump to 1 Sunoco. Thanks for all the input guys.

Gary
  13. wulf22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I blend VP C-14 with pump gas at one gallon race fuel to four gallons hi test pump gas. Here in N.Y. they use 10% ethanol in pump gas. I feel ethanol is a poor fuel, so I mix in a little leaded race gas to help offset it.
  14. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    KLOTZ makes stuff called HYTRATE (sp?) that is a race gas concentrate and seems to work pretty good. I haven't ran it in my Husky yet, but I have uased it in some high compression two strokes. It's designed to blend with 91 octane unlead to make leaded race gas.
  15. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I run straight avgas just because it is almost the same price as premium and it is stable and consistent.

Here is a good read on avgas by someone who knows what he is talking about .
    http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=115202&highlight=avgas

Highlights are:

- In almost every case 100ll Avgas is a better choice than alcohol pump fuels.

- If you don't need the additional octane that 100LL provides, then MTBE based pump premium will tend to provide better throttle than Avgas assuming you have any jetting skill. If you can't jet you're just wasting your time worrying about any of this stuff on a stock bike.

- Mixing 100LL Avgas with a good race gas designed for your application and rpm range is a reasonable way to save some money.

- Mixing alcohol based pump fuels with ANYTHING in an attempt to make it BETTER is just a chemical circle jerk, and if you're that cheap or that ignorant you deserve the crummy performance and the insurmountable jetting problems that you will invariably be blessed with.

- The correct race fuel for your application will outperform ANY of the above, regardless of whether the engine is stock or modified. The more demon tweaks hiding in your engine, the more you have to gain.