1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st race gas gains?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by NWRider, Dec 3, 2010.

1. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am going to have RB Designs cut the head on my 144 soon to correct the squish. I am wondering if I should just have the head modified for race gas while I am at it. How much power is there to gain from this? Does the increase in compression kill some top end?

I am not getting out that often so the fuel cost is not as important plus a more stable fuel that does not absorb moisture would be a plus when half a tank of fuel sits around a few weeks.
  2. kx3089 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Ron set my squish on my wr250 last year.I run a 60/40 mix of pump & race gas with no other head mod.When I get into the top end the bike pulls so strong it sometimes catches me off guard. The power is awesome everywhere.
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I could go on a big rant about all this, but the short of it is that if you have him set your squish and volume to the high side of 93 octane and keep your jetting toward the rich side, you will probable be happiest with the performance of your engine, for what you are using it for.
  4. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

So does anyone know exactly what the gains are? I am thinking there must be some because of the following two reasons.

I hear that race gas does not do much if the motor is not modified to take advantage of it. That implies that taking advantage of it does something. (raising compression, maybe advance timing)

When people complain about thumpers having an unfair advantage in MX they mention the fuel rules really hurt the 2t. That implies that leaded race gas has big gains in a 2t. I'm wondering how much of a gain.

Thanks
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess I will have to answer my own question. I just dropped off my head at RB designs and he is going to tighten the squish to .8mm and set it up for race gas only. I'll report back with the results.
  6. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have only use 110 leaded in my stock bikes for years .All i know is the bike runs great and the cost is about 6.50 a gallon compaired to 91 pump gas at 3.50 .
    Also take 91 pump if it really is 91 add oil and you now have less then 90
    It is a race bike treat it like what it is
  7. HxcEnduRo Husqvarna
    AA Class

"yes" race gas does work well in a unmodified bike. i always notice a huge difference when my cr125 is not on race gas, the responce is significantly different as is the overall over rev and torque of the engine, i run vp c12 mixed 50/50 w/91 pump and maxima formula k2 mixxed at 36:1 bike screams and top end life is alot better w/ race gas too thanks to the led.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I was running the aviation stuff in my 79 CR250 Husky and could not tell the difference when I went back to pump gas ...

What is setting the squish doing to increase performance ? Is this just a fancy way of saying 'increase the compression'?
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I ran a blend of 66% pump 93 octane with 33% race gas on our CR 125 and WR 300. It seemed to have more benefit in the CR, but then again, I never rode the WR anywhere near it's limits. It did seem to help with a minor detonation issue on the WR at 95+ (F) temps. I tried race gas blends and 100% in our 4 strokes and it seemed to be a total waste of money.