1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Rear brake fried

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Sep 18, 2011.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Half way though my ride today I thought I had a flat. No flat continued then I smelt burning brakes. Stopped and my rear brake was smoking. Its like huh? Anyway the rotor was slighlty discolored slightly orangish. I let out some brake fluid to get the pressure of the brakes. Not sure exaclty what happened. Its almost like something got wedged somewhere to compress the rear brake as it was fine at the start of the ride and it happened when I was climbing and not even using the rear brakes. Anyway my question is how would I know if the rotor is OK? It seems ok I just cooked that sucker and not sure if I made it brittle now or something?
  2. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You had recently replaced the brakes and didn't bleed them. You had added fluid over time as the brakes wore down. When you replaced the brakes, now you had too much fluid in the master cylinder and when they got hot the brakes started to drag.
  3. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Yeah was gonna redo the fluid and buy new pads. Just curious if theres a way to determine if rotors are somehow bad. They "appear" ok.
  4. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I've boiled my fluid before and lost all pressure, but I've never seen smoke. You must've had those babies hot!

That solid rear rotor is a pain in my rear. Makes the brakes too hot and eats brake pads quick.
    I go through 2-3 fronts for every set of rears.... totally opposite from every other bike I've owned.