Red Hot Headers.... 2010 TE 510

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by DH247, Sep 14, 2010.

1. DH247 Husqvarna
    C Class

Sounds so much better than what it actually is, gigady :cheers:

I have finally managed to get my bike running consistently after a summer of non-stop 'FAIL' messages (After having had the bike since early June I have only been able to log now 300km...) thanks to the boys at Pacific Yammy/BMW/Husky...

I have reinstalled the O2 sensor as I would consistently get 'FAIL' messages using the resistor plug. The cat converter has been removed and I have also removed the heat shield wrap from the headers (which to my surprise had actually been burnt black and had embrittled the wrap itself!) We also adjusted the FB values to:

FB1: 115
    FB2: 110
    FB3: 100

Unfortunately she still does not ride all that well. Just putzing around town (ie to school and back - 20 mins a way) my headers glow in sub 20C temps. Stalls off of idle (very scary in traffic btw...) and will lurch at constant throttle above ~6000rpm. Oh and backfires like an SOB on decel. My crankcase also gets hot enough to burn my ankles if I'm wearing regular shoes...

Any ideas on how to get this puppy running more reasonably? To be honest I"m pretty disappointed that such a high end bike would run so poorly. I gotta ride her in super low rpms just get from A to B. :excuseme:

I really want to rider her harder but I just can't afford to blow an engine... I can't imagine the degree of thermal cycling is all that good for my valves... So I'm back to not riding.

Thanks for the thoughts and help!!
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The red headers are OK, they are thin and heat up fast, no issues there.

Are you in Vancouver BC or some other Vancouver like Washington state? If in Vancouver WA I would help with reprogramming your EFI.
  3. DH247 Husqvarna
    C Class

Really? That's new for me!! Had a carbed WR250F that did the same thing and ran funky till I rejetted her a bit richer and then she ran like a champ. Was thinking it might be something similar here. I just have no idea what other people are finding works for their 510's.

I am in Vancouver BC. Not too far from WA though! Gotta say I like some of your parts too, so maybe a trip down for a visit would be a nice ride at some point... Any chance you guys are around in the coming weekends?

Thanks!!