1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Rekluse for wr250.. EXP, Core EXP, ZStart PRO.. EXP 2.. wth?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by BloodyShirt, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BloodyShirt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha 2010 wr250 & 2009 YZ125
    I've never ridden an autoclutch but i'm coming off an electric start 4 stroke to a 2 stroke 250.. i ride mostly single track and double track trails.. hill climbs, mud pits.. I have a feeling that i'm going to get tired of stalling out on the trails and having to kick mid hill or in a tight spot so i'm looking at the rekluse auto clutches.. just have no idea what's what.. can someone give me a very simple idea of the pros/cons of any of them or recommend one over another.. from what I'm reading the core exp retains the clutch feeling.. the exp 2.0 is cheaper and has better grab down low? than the zstart? from what i read.. anyone mind chiming in?
  2. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    From my understanding...

Core EXP - new basket, exp type wedge plate
    EXP - uses a wedge plate instead of a couple friction plates, the wedges spread the plate apart at higher RPMs to engage the engine.
    Z-start - a new pressure plate with balls within channels that move to the outside as RPMs increase. Effectively, I think it crushes the friction plates together to engage the engine.

The EXP is simple to install, and retains stock feeling as it acts just like another friction plate, while the Z-Start has a crazy mushy feeling until you're higher in the RPM range. It still disengages the engine at low RPMs, but it doesn't feel like it should. If you're going to try one out having never had one, I'd suggest the EXP (not core) due to its low price and relative normal feel. They released that a week after I'd installed my z-start. :(
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I like the Z-start the best on the WR, but I'm runing an EXP right now with good results. The EXP unit I have is actually a Honda unit, because they came out way before the WR unit did and everyone seems to run Honda plates in the WR's anyway. If you want to save a a little money then the EXP will do the job.
  4. incorrigible Husqvarna
    B Class

I thought the EXP might need a thicker spacer on the clutch cover that would intervene with the shift lever. Anyway guys I know and myself are running and using the Z Start Pro are getting outstanding service out of it. I run it in two different bikes. I love fanning the clutch out of corners on my 250 and there is only the faintest resistance. The Husky clutch is also very robust. Great product.
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    No, you don't need a spacer.
  6. BloodyShirt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    best explanation yet.. I was leaning towards the EXP 2.0 I think.. not due to price but it appears to due the job with less replacement parts while retaining the stock clutch feeling.. Thanks for the info!

7. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ride the bike first. You probably don't even need an auto clutch. With proper jetting these bikes are pretty difficult to stall.
  8. BloodyShirt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Do any of the rekluses help with engine braking or just coasting at idle? I occasionally pop around town and as many of you know its not very comfortable to coast or downshift. I'm guessing its a smoother from what i've read just would like a confirmation
  9. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There is no engine braking as i understand it. it just freewheels. If you do stall it it will not bump start either.
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is true too...unless you mash the rear brake with the clutch out!
  11. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Rekluse Pro when set up right has engine breaking like a stock bike and is the best auto clutch to get. I've tried most of them, you get what you pay for. My WR250 is now a cheater bike and who ever rides it wants to buy it, from C riders to medal winning Six-Days heroes, no lie it is that good. I use 05 CRF450 clutch friction plates as they are great with Rotella dinosauer oil.
  12. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    The z-start pro will maintain engine braking unless you hit the rear brake, then it will free wheel. It can be re-engaged by revving it up a bit.
  13. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

If idle is set correctly the engine braking works as a normal clutch, at least my bike does or maybe I'm just so used it. People who ride mine are unaware that it has an auto clutch in it if I don't tell them. It can get a little scary if idle is too low, free wheel city.
  14. Steve-oh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04RM250, 05XR100,07PW80,41 Harley
    X2.. engine braking until I tap the LHRB ; )
  15. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

You guys might be right, I may be turning on the throttle and not knowing it on the downhills after braking out of instinct, or survival.
  16. BloodyShirt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    After riding a bit today I'm extremely hesitant to give up push start. bike hasn't been cooperating to say the least..
  17. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I have a ZStart Pro in two bikes and Zstart in another. There is alot of adjustment possible to make the clutch work how you want it to. I think many of the people who have tried one and didn't like it didn't spend the time to change what they didn't like. The intructions are very clear and the tech support at Rekluse is top notch.
  18. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 , Gas Gas Raga 300
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/my-rekluse-install-adventure.23414/#post-209533

This was my experieince with the rekulse on my WR250. i have several rides on it now and it works great. No stalls (so you dont need to bump start) you can adjust the cable on the handlebar in if you want to back to a std clutch at any time. This bike climbs like my trials bike now (almost). The clutch is magic, becasue you can focus on riding not stalling.

I run a 7602 clutch cover (with sight window) no rubbing at all!

2 strokes dont have any engine braking to start, my 2 4 strokes (KTM 530 and RMZ450) with the same clutch have about 20% less engine braking vs. stock clutch.
  19. Darrendeep6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 BMW R 1200 GS
    I got my EXP dialed in as well and rode it for the first time last Wednesday. I absolutely love it. Easy set-up as well. My only problem I had was my own fault. I was turning the adjuster on the frame the wrong way and broke the threads. New cable, turn the adjuster the right way, good to go. It makes riding the bike in technical terrain easy. If you want to pick the front end up to clear an obstacle, no problem. Clutch like normal. It does have a heavy clutch pull though. Not a big deal IMO, because your not using it that much. Maybe Rekluse will offer the Core upgrade kit later, right now I couldn't be happier.