1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Repairs to header and Expansion chamber

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Drtmonster, May 22, 2011.

1. Drtmonster Husqvarna
    C Class

G'day All,

I've just noticed after repairing cracks, leaks and exhaust problems at the silencer end, my header as it comes from the exhaust port and turns into the expansion chamber has taken a knock and has a leak in the crease created by the accident damage. This wasn't noticeable before, the increased back pressure from the silencer repairs has made it more noticeable.

Does anyone know if this can be repaired? Can it be heated gently and knocked, tapped and re-welded into shape? Is a regular MIG welder at a Muffler/Exhaust shop able to do this?

Thanks
  2. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    G'day Drtmonster...you got pics mate?
    99% of the time you can can mig it/tig it or even braze it together...your local exhaust joint should be able to repair it, even the bike shop.
  3. oldskool63 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I put a monster ding in my expansion chamber before. Not cracked but didn't like it. So I drilled several small holes and pulled the dent with a homemade slide tool. Brazed her back up and some high temp paint. Worked out well.
  4. Drtmonster Husqvarna
    C Class

5. Drtmonster Husqvarna
    C Class

The first pic is general damage. The bike appears to have taken one or more knocks on the first bend from the header that has pushed that part of the pipe back towards the frame and creased the pipe material.

The second and third are pics of the crease that looks like the worst part of it. In the crease there must be a small hole, hence the oil leaking out.

The fourth pic is of the crease from the underside.

Do you know if the pipe can be repaired easily? Is there anyone in Sydney Australia?

Thanks
  6. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    That is pretty f$%ked...you're loosing power from that crease.

The problem is, you could blow that out but you need to really have a good weld where the hole in the crease is or else it will split open again. What bike is this off (is it a WR360)? It may pay to hunt around the wreckers for a 2nd hand expansion chamber....try liverpool bike wreckers.

If this was a Procircuit or FMF expansion chamber, then you could cut just above and below the crease, find the right size diameter tube and weld a new ring restoring the right angle - you'll have to make decision if it's worth it.
  7. oldskool63 Husqvarna
    AA Class

That pipe has seen its better days mate. Looks like it has taken a pretty good beatdown. If I was going to keep the bike, I'd replace it.
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    ah, yeh...it's done. getta nudder one. there's a spot in NY i know of that fixes mangled messes like that up pretty nice. but, if it's rusted or your out of contry get that thing off there and a new pipe on and stop riding it like that. (i also dont recomend brazing pipes for a couple reasons) welding pin holes on new pipes is cool. seams too if the pipe is substantial and newish. us old schoolers know the drill on old air coolers (hoosk's and maico's) with chasing cracks, patches and all that...god them old pipes!!! yuk!
  9. Drtmonster Husqvarna
    C Class

I picked up a second hand pipe in St Marys, Sydney this afternoon for a 95 WR 250, R&D reckon it will fit a 96. I'll fit it tomorrow morning. Riding Sunday. Thanks for your help.

Stephan at R&D also reckons he's got a number somewhere for someone who can fix battered pipes. i'll get the old one sorted as a spare.

cheers