1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Replacement for kdx

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Zjw, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Zjw Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kdx
    I have a 2001 kdx220 rb carb head mods kx forks fmf pipe Ect.
    I am 5'10" 180 lbs without gear c class rider run a few HS a year.
    Thinking about a wr125 or 250 or rebuilding kdx has anyone went
    From kdx to a wr also what size 125 or 250?
  2. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    get a 165, the KDX is a good all round bike but no match with a 125 husky set up and a 165 kit

i drove only 2x a KDX and power it makes is lesser then a WB165 put on the rear wheel.
    but power is nothing when you are not able to control it and that's where you gonna see the biggest improvement

what ever you try to do with your KDX (and you can put Ohlins on it if you have the money (only that probably would cost the same as the total WR only))
    the WR will outperform the KDX in handling.

result is that with a Husky you smile a lot more you are less tired as you don't fight the bike but guide the bike.

some dealers offer the WR165 (actually the WB 165) and its the real deal.

do a quick search on this forum and you will know what it is all about

Robert-Jan
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I switched from a KDX200 (1999) to a WR 300 (2012). The WR only has 50 miles on it, but I can still speak to why I switched:

The number one point is that I did NOT switch because of a desire for more power. Where I race (east coast), a 200 has plenty of power.

I switched for modern ergonomics and modern suspension. Just the ability to get up on the tank, due to a flat seat and modern tank shape, makes the bike easier/faster to ride. Add in modern suspension, and the WR simply is easier to ride and more confidence inspiring in typical enduro/HS terrain.

My KDX wasn't stock either, had resprung and revalved fork and shock, different bars, different seat, etc, but bike shapes have changed a lot in the last 10-20 years.

I do wish I still had the KDX, just because it is so easy to ride, and because it made a great beginning/spare/loaner bike. The WR obviously requires more skill to ride due to the power, and you feel like you need to take better care of a brand new bike than an ugly KDX.
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I still have a couple of old KDX 200 C1s, plus a 2003 KDX220. My WR300 feels lighter, turns better, is more stable in a straight line, and has way more power all the way across the board (of course!) than my 220.
  5. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I had a '05 KDX 220 for 3 years, and just sold it to buy a CR150. I did the suspension on mine, a fork swap, and a FMF pipe. I liked the bike, and it was a lot of fun, but for me it was getting a little old (design), and after a 2 hour hare scramble felt really heavy. When they were new I think they were a good woods bike, but they have since become dated and heavy compared to what else is available. I'm very happy with the CR 150. It's fast, great handling, light, and IMO, the best looking bike available.
    john01 likes this.
  6. bhab Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300, TC449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 2.9, KTM 200 XC-W
    I have a WR 300 and I rode a friend's KDX220 and instantly fell in love. It was so light and flickable by comparison. I loved being able to ride it in the higher RPMs instead of lugging the big 300 all of the time. I was really surprised by how much less tiring the KDX was to ride and how much better my hands felt afterward. I feel like I'm always trying to reign the big bike in and I was trying to get more out of the 220. I'm now obsessed with trying to get a modern bike of smaller displacement, but I'm scared the 144/165 would be too small. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back to the orange side and pickup a 200.
  7. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sounds like you should look into the Gasgas , the older ones are very Kdx like only better.
    john01 likes this.
  8. Zjw Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kdx
    Thanks for the for the input.
    Now thinking about which one
    125 or 250 and if the 125 wr or cr?
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Where are you located?