1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Replacement Gas Tank: WR250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jsleeper, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, my gas tank is leaking at the shrouds (which I understand is common). I fixed it once with glue, which held for about 8 months. I am going to glue it again, but think I am ready for a new tank now.

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a replacement tank, stock or oversized?

thanks,
    JS
  2. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

tank

I've got a brand new tank off my 08 WR 250 that I'll let go for $115.
    Later
  3. oregon_rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

4. tree dodger Husqvarna
    AA Class

IMS makes a 3.4 gallon tank that I run on my 07 WR-250. Some people have commented that the big tank affects the handling and makes the bike look like a XR-650. It sure beats walking. And those same people never seem to bitch about it when I give them gas out of my tank so they don't have to walk. I never even ran my stock tank because 2.5 gallons is just not enough for the rides I do. Yes, the IMS tank is kinda big, but I got use to it from day one and I really don't think it affects how I ride.
  5. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I like the big tank on my WR 250 too. If you don't need to fill it up, you can put two gallons in and the fuel is lower than in a stock tank.
  6. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I hadn't heard this one yet,....What makes the stock tank leak at the shrouds?....Rubbing?,....The threaded metal inserts?......:excuseme:
  7. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, they leak because of the threaded metal insert. I have heard they we inset to far into the plastic from the factory, which when coupled with BOTS (Bolt over-tightening syndrome) causes the inserts to spin and cut through the tank. The previous owner of the my wr250 had a bad case of BOTS. The inserts spun when I tried to remove the shrouds, then the tank started to leak the next ride.

PS: the inserts at the front points of the tank leak. I do not think the other inserts are a problem.

JS
  8. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Oh okay,....FWIW I think they've addressed and corrected that problem at least to some extent now,....my inserts are square.
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    "Hi, they leak because of the threaded metal insert. I have heard they we inset to far into the plastic from the factory, which when coupled with BOTS (Bolt over-tightening syndrome) causes the inserts to spin and cut through the tank. The previous owner of the my wr250 had a bad case of BOTS. The inserts spun when I tried to remove the shrouds, then the tank started to leak the next ride."

Up in the woods sometimes the only way to get a chaser from stripping the threads on his saw is to cut the handle off his saw wrench so it is only about 2" long.
  10. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

My father in-law was telling me about that. It is hard to resist over-tightening things. I have learned my lesson many times.

Joshua