Reprograming ECU ISTA/P

Discussion in 'TR650' started by anton_80, Feb 24, 2024.

1. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vespa 200 IRIS, VESPA 125 PRIMAVERA
    Good morning, does anyone know if it's possible to reprogram the ECU using ISTA/P software and the ICOM connector? I've tried several versions of the software but it's not able to connect to the Husky, it doesn't recognize the motorcycle."
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I have the setup and did not have the batch file for the program to run for the tr650. Not sure if it is available.
  3. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hello, I managed to make ISTA+ work with version 4.02, it now recognizes the motorcycle model. The problem I have is that they changed the ECU (Engine Control Unit) and now the ECU and odometer don't show the same mileage. I'm trying to fix it using ISTA/P to see if I'm lucky. what is this configuration ??

Thanks
  4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Way above my paygrade. See if you can contact wayne. He is a BMW guy but helped us get the tr650 to work with the gs911. He knows way more about this stuff. I dabbled a bit just for fun, but did not have the need or urgency to figure it out.
  5. VFORCEJOHN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 Husqvarana TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    bmw g450x
    You dont need any of that. J1939 will never work for this. its 1 way comm RS232. K line

I decided to give it a go last night and I was able to read, and write back the data without issues. tool about 10 mins total. after 3 hours of biting my nails that I didnt cause anything to be erased. its all K line HIgh and low and you need a virtual com port to accpet the data back on the K line after sending the K low line hot and then to ground. needs 16v to make it speak. same as Kawy, Suzuki and Yamaha does. I emulated all possible 999 options of the communication seed code and ran scripts to try each one. Also very simlar to How a VDO M3C is read by Canbus.

the key is FAST initialization to service mode 1. then Baud rate jumps up to access Service mode 2. it wont speak to tell you the seed code to read it, thats why nobody ever got into the damn thing. enter the commands to sequence all 999 options. about 125 codes in. it dump all the data from both sectors. and amazingly it worked.

Ive been into coding ECUS for the past 5 years now. Im ashamed I didnt figure this out sooner.
    mag00 and mysery1 like this.
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    This is great news. Do you have any pictures of the interface cables? Is there a software program you run the info into for editing?

Have you considered setting up like "Ivans Tune" and offering a remap service for the TR650?

This is some of the best news I have heard for the Terra and Strada.
  7. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't understand why through the ICOM it's not able to send the information to be encoded, shouldn't it already perform that communication through the K-line? The option I had in mind was to reprogram the gauge chip with the new distance values. But I don't think that's the most correct approach.
    very good job.
  8. VFORCEJOHN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 Husqvarana TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    bmw g450x

This is not setup to operate on a BMW platform. you cant mix communication protocols or connection methods. assuming it is the same is prob why people have not been able to achieve this. I made the same mistake too. BMW communication protocols will never work. J1939 is not correct, ethernet is not correct.

this is older and more basic than that. very basic indeed. ISO 9141 / KWP2000 (ISO 14230) K/L line
    mag00 likes this.
  9. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good morning, so with a simple K cable and 16V power supply, would it be enough to read and program the ECU? Could you help shed light on how to perform this action, and the necessary software and hardware?
    Thank you
  10. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Anton

What is the history of the bike ? is it one you bought like that or did a workshop swap the ECU ?

if you have ISTA working are you able to to open a session & do a Vehicle ID with or without test ?

Also you dont mention in whether the bike actually starts with the BMS-E having been changed
  11. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    It is not J1939 & it is not 1 way RS232 K Line, the diags interface on the TR650 is 2 way K-Line & you can run ISTA using FTDI K-Line USB interfaces as many owners do & with an ICOM full programming with ISTA-P can be done
  12. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    What a load of garbage, the electronics on the TR650 was completely developed by BMW & the TR650 is fully integrated into the BMW Dealer diagnostics & programming systems which is why the Husky Dealers were supplied with the Dealer Systems by BMW when the TR650's were first released. It was only after the sale of Husky by BMW that the BMW Dealers were told not to do diagnostics & programming of Husky models, some dealers ignored that & updated firmware to overcome the initial issues & even today Husky gets replacement ECUs, dashes & EWS keys via BMW along with many other parts
  13. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hello, I bought the motorcycle second-hand. Later, they called me to have the motorcycle checked and the ECU updated. This happened after BMW had already sold the brand. The workshop was terrible and had no idea how to update the bike. They sent it to Magnetti in Barcelona, or so they told me (which I don't believe). They ended up breaking the ECU, so they had to replace it. I have a new ECU, but they didn't program the mileage. This awful Husqvarna dealership kept stalling me until over a year passed, then they just said, "Oh, it's not my problem, tough luck." I've been going back and forth trying to fix the issue of the dashboard flickering and the mileage difference between the ECU and the dashboard. Gradually, I've been understanding how the bike works and finding replacement parts for it. ISTA recognizes the bike, and I can do the service, but ISTA-P doesn't recognize the VIN and won't connect to it. I've been trying with different databases, but so far, I haven't found the right one. Thinking that I could program it with the ICOM, the other day I bought one, but so far, I haven't been able to. For servicing with the ELM and Motoscan, I had it sorted out, but I can't find a solution for this issue for now.
  14. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:

If you provide me with more information, I could try to solve my problem. I'm not an expert in the field, but I'm quite diligent and enjoy reading and informing myself about how things work. Is the ICOM I have, the ICOM A, valid? I'm not bad at electronics and computers. I would be very grateful if you could help me.
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    OK, ubderstand the history, you really have been through the mill with the Dealer, you dont mention though if the bike runs, have PMd you
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Good to see the resurrection of some robust discussion back at Cafe Husky.
    I thing I would like to note is my experience in dealing with WayneC regarding these machines has been a revelation, far deeper than I can understand. I would urge you to listen to his opinions/advice.
    mag00 likes this.
  17. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:

Hello, yes indeed, he is a professional and a better person. It's a pleasure to be able to converse with him.
  18. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hello, everything is correct, we can close the topic.