1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Resleeve or Replate cylinder?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Xcuvator, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    My WR250 has a rough cylinder from a catastrophic event in a previous life, in the care of the previous owner....

I was all ready to ship it off to get it resized and plated. Then I started reading some old posts and reread Kelly's go-around with his 94 250. It sounds like the best way, was to go with a re sleeve in the interest of a more accurate and true bore size. I like the idea of having a hard plated surface for long wearing and life but if the bore isn't true to size, it would be of little value.

Wondering if anyone here could relate some experiences, to help me decide. Thanks SP

PS There are a couple of companys here in the PDX area that advertise sleeving. US Chrome in Wisconsin, was recommended for plating and their website makes it appear that they are doing it in a big way. Anyone use them?
  2. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    My buddy's KTM had some heavy cylinder scoring- it was welded, bored to size and replated- worked well.
    Sorry I don't remember the company. It was in the Southeast-big place.
  3. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Wonder how much a new OEM cylinder is?,.....Just for reference.
  4. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Thanks for that Euofreak, yeah I think replate is the way to go. From what I have found, the only advantage to sleeving is the ability to freshen up later with a rebore. Except for that replating has the advantages.

I don't know what a new cylinder would cost, but I would think 3X what replate is.
    Replating runs between $180 and 240, depending. Really, not that much more than a Wiesco piston and about the same as a OEM.
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I may have a spare cylinder.
  6. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

replate and use a husky piston.
  7. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

replate it but send the new piston with the cylinder when it is being replated so they can match it to the cylinder.
  8. noairkerr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 yamaha wr250f 2005 ktm 200 exc
    Would never sleeve again, had a bad experiance with poor machine work and no port match. Exhaust port was bridged on the bike I did ,it cracked ,meltdown,notgood. Rechrome behappy:thumbsup:
  9. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I've used both Minnenium Tech. and Powerseal for replating cylinders and both did great work. Powerseal was a little cheaper and I know for a fact those guys know their stuff as they did all the work on my YZ250/285 big bore, including the plating.

Skip the sleeve and get it replated. It's less than $200 at Powerseal.
  10. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Thanks for the replies. I did some searching and that is what I came up with too.
    I sent mine to US Chrome.
    There are good reasons to stick with a plated aluminum cylinder. That is why they are built that way to begin with.
    I think the people who talk up sleeving are the ones that don't have the equipment for plating.
  11. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yeah, plus I don't think a steel sleeve releases heat like a plated aluminum jug does either.