Ride Report -- Lectron - 2009 250 XC-W

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by boisedave, Mar 10, 2013.

1. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey guys -- Just wanted to follow up with a ride report on the Lectron.

Yesterday I wanted to give the bike a shakedown just to make sure she was all ready for the season -- we are camping out next weekend and I wanted this bike to be all sorted out. So I went out to the desert for a while to make sure things were in order and to give the Lectron a real test.

I have played with the Lectron in the garage a bit and its very easy to adjust the rod. For me and my bike -- it seemed like the difference between too rich and too lean was about 1 turn. If it was too lean the bike would barely idle and too rich the throttle response from idle was sluggish. Anyways, I set it up to where I thought it should be and called it good.

One thing I will note -- while on the stand, I pulled my power valve cover off to make sure it was operating as I'd had the clutch cover case and mechanism off. The RPMs need to be pretty high and I noted this weird oscillating thing going on. The power valve was working fine -- but every time I'd rev it up there would be this weird oscillating thing going on. Very troubling, but I wanted to go see how it ran before I tore it down and began to look at it.

Unloaded the bike and geared up -- bike starts flawlessly. First or second kick every time. The choke doesn't seem to do much on my bike. I usually start it up with the choke on, but after 5 or 10 seconds switch it off and let it idle there. I need to tend the bike a bit while warming up but it seems to idle much better. Once up to operating temperature -- it idles very nice and smooth. Hard to describe, but it just idles better and more stable.

I click it into gear and can tell it runs a bit cleaner and stronger on the bottom into the mid. Punchier with better response. Revs faster. Hit the top end and the bike nearly dies. @#$$%@#. It was running awful. Made a couple passes just to be sure, but based on my experience with the bike in the garage -- I suspected this would be an issue. I brought the stock carb out and was going to put that in to see if it was a carb issue or not or something I might have buggered up inside the engine.

So --- on a "whim" I decided to play with the power jet to see if that would do. In my mind, I thought this couldn't possibly be the issue. The literature I read had me thinking the power jet was only for 1/2 "throttle" and above. Since my bike was running in the mid and top, but only around 1/2 throttle, I didn't think the Power Jet was really coming into play. I guess I thought that when the RPMs are high and throttle openings are still fairly closed, the power jet wouldn't be the issue. You know how you can get into the topend and keep it there with little blips of the throttle? That's what I was doing and thinking the power jet wasn't a player because I NEVER run at full throttle really.

So, I concluded that the bike was a little rich on top and turned the power jet about 3 more turns OUT -- thinking this would lean it out. Bike ran even worse. But HMMMMmmmmm. If it runs worse out, maybe it will run better if I turn it in. So I turned the power jet all the way in [thinking that I was richening it up]. Son of gun -- problem Solved!!! Holy @#$%!!! To be safe I backed out the jet another 1/2 turn and still ok. Called it good. Now I can test the bike!!! More on this later.

Now I headed out to ride. Initial impressions are that bottom is cleaner, mid is stronger and top end overrev is amazing. The bike has better throttle response and moves seamlessly through the ranges. I am not sure if it makes any more power just above idle, but the bike works better down there. Much crisper. Hard to describe, but the best way is that it very confidence inspiring. You can lug it into nothing and just roll the throttle on and you get more power. Need to blast it -- go ahead. The bike will just pull it.

The mid is definitely stronger. You can tell its up on power -- not huge gains, but enough to know. I consciously observed I was shifting a bit less, because I could let the RPMS fall a bit farther and just grab the throttle and it would pull harder. Very nice.

The top end is amazing. Really pulls hard. I launched myself into the sagebrush a couple of times. I can see the Lectron being a must add for a small bore. Pulls so long and clean -- really very nice. The sand washes here beg for top end -- now I went there willingly. Super cool.

So I rode around for a couple hours just playing around and had a blast. Bike ran great. The best way to put it was that it was very confidence inspiring. Very nice. So far so good. The verdict is still out on the altitude compensating abilities, but right now I'd say this is a solid investment. If you never did it -- you would live a happy life [because you didn't know any better!!!]. Having done it, I can't envision riding another two stroke without it. I plan on moving this one from bike to bike.

Last thing -- Power jet. Looking at the literature, screwing the jet out richens it up. Now I know my bike will oscillate and cut out if the power jet is too rich. 2 turns out is too much, 1/2 may be too lean -- I'll need to check the plug though to be sure. I also think the power jet has an effect on the midrange a bit too. It works very simply by allowing fuel to flow into the venturi directly from the float bowl [via a little jet]. As the bike revs -- it creates a vacuum and pulls fuel directly from the bowl. Looking at the carb -- the brass nozzle for the PJ is set right about 1/2 way when the slid is open. I think it "helps" even when the throttle isn't open quite halfway but the RPMS are high. Just my thoughts.

Anyways, I am glad I got it sorted out. Feels like a new bike. As I rode back to the truck I began to think that a 175-200 might be the way to go. I thought my 250 almost made too much power -- couldn't help that think a 200 with more power and the lighter weight might be perfect for the majority of the riding I do.

Cheers fellas!!!
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Nice report!
  3. duey Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 ktm xc 2008 ktm 250 sx
    Pulling 4th gear wheelie's in mud today 1 1/2 turn out on power jet on wr 250 lots fun this carb