1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc ride review 1994 WXC-250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So I have the "I scored a minty WXC-250" post, the "I rebuilt the WXC-250" post so now i thought i would start a ride review post.

I'll just get it off my chest, this is a very good bike. Not a very good bike for old bikes but very good period. Short of the just OK brakes and old school seating position this bike fully competes with modern 250 2 stokes IMHO.

Motor:

Now that I have the motor running 100% and have 2 rides on it I feel it is one of the better 250 2 stroke off road motors i have sampled. Very strong and eager from bottom to top this motor flat gets with the program. Other than a weisco piston, PK carb, and boyseen reeds this bike is stone stock. Compared to a very good running 07 with a 2C pipe and PWK carb it seems every bit as strong. The 94 maybe stronger off the bottom, has just as much mid and top and seems more linear than the soft bottom hard mid hit of the 07 motor.

Suspension:

The showa suspension on this bike is VERY good. I hoped it might be but is better than i had hoped. I believe it is stock but who knows. It was good when i got it but adjustment to the very sensitive clickers and some playing with fork height and preload yield a very good platform. the fork is un-fluttered by multiple choppy sections that seem to confuse the 45mm zokes. they work very well in root wads and rocks yet still absorb jumps and hard landings well. A very confidence inspiring fork that never seems to get out of shape. The rear is also very good and very controlled. Never feeling loose or busy but still supple and comfortable. I really like the suspension on this bike.

Handling:

This is one area where it is a step behind the modern bikes. It seems a lot like a Yamaha to me. handles a lot like my 02 YZ250, good but you need to be deliberate in your turning. It turns fine just wants more input to do so. The front end is not as precise and active as a modern husky. That said it is kinda nice not having to always baby sit the front end, it stays put and does not need constant attention like more modern active bikes. Confidence inspiring and stable but semi slow and deliberate.

Ergonomics:

old School. low seat, low bars, crappy pegs. I raised the bars 1.5 inches and moved the forward and got a new bar. Made a huge needed difference. Bike is now nearly perfect when standing. Took quite a while to get used to the super low seat and as such find myself standing 90% of the time. I am getting used to it and the low seat is awesome of off camber stuff or whenever you need to dab but really wads me up. I have got used to it and the seat itself is a couch, but it is a big transition from seated to standing.

Brakes:

When i got the bike they were horrible. I cleaned and scotbrighted the disks, replaced the pads and bled the fluid. Now they are workable and are OK. Nothing like modern husky brakes but enough to do the job without being a liability.

Transmission:

this transmission needs to come in the current WR250/300. It is awesome. 6 speeds of crawl up a tree or pass your friends at 90 mph. perfect spacing, lots of options.

Maintenance / Design:

Another place where the current bike has gone backwards IMHO. This bike has zerks on the linkage AND swingarm pivots. Has pull loops on both axles, has the 15mm axle nut, quick release seat etc. Tank comes off super EZ. Tank is a much better design than the current WR. Carries 3.4 gallons in a narrow and low slung tank. I bet this bike will go 80-90 miles EZ. The shrouds are super narrow and do not trim the bushes. The pipe is tucked in better than the current bike and much smaller, out of the way.

Weight:

As it sits it is 238, ready to go no gas. about the same as the current model. If you replaced the double walled pipe and massive muffler with steel endcap with a FMF or something you would drop 10 pounds and put this bike lighter than the current model.

So...

I really like this bike and am surprised how well it works. Where I like my ATK406 and it does well it feels vintage and i know the limitations and ride accordingly. This bike does not impart a vintage feel / limitation and i feel just has competent and fast on it as I do on my buddies 07 WR250 which I like a lot. The 94 motor is just as good, the suspesnion is better. The handling is not quite as sharp and the brakes on the 07 are on another level. In the end it is a bike I feel competes well with the modern example of the same bike.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Very cool! We just put on an enduro in western NY-the Newark enduro. A guy showed up with the very same bike. Don't know how well he did. Wish i had the 6-speed:thumbsup:
    Wonder if you could upgrade the pads or just install better brake calipers.
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    K,
    next part of the project,,,,,new brake fluid,,,new pads and do a surface break with some sort of crocus cloth or fine sand paper on the discs. should spruce em up to better spec (no?) R

sorry, just spending your time and money
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did all that. The brakes worked like drum brakes when i got it. Work well now but not like the current stuff which i find is some of, if not the best. Very workable but not fantastic.
  5. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great write up Kelly. I have no idea why modern bikes seemed to have foresaken the 6 speed tranny. I can think of no earthly reason to stuff a marginal 5 speed when a delicious 6 speed would solve problems.

What do you have invested now? $600-$700? Makes the $9000 for my 250 XCW seem like highway robbery. I'm jealous.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Got about $450 int he bike, best $450 I ever spent on a bike. Been riding it a lot as my 09 WR125 suspesnion is off to be revalved. Really like the bike.

From last sat ride...

[IMG]
  7. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Think I saw the video of that ride on TT. I might have to make a trip up there next year [snow is coming fast for this year] and partake of some that singletrack goodness. I did some riding in the Little Naches last weekend that looked pretty similliar.
  8. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Some of the best suspension i ever had was my 93 610 and my 95 WXC 350. Like you said soaks up everything and never upsets the rider. Speaking of bikes to play with i just picked up an 88-89? Cagiva WMX 250, i have to take pics in the sunlight before i post any. Long story on the bike but after i get pictures i will post more.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Man, looks like the same motor as is in mine.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Took this pic last Sunday with my iPhone (forgot my camera) and liked the rays of light. Did 46 miles of EPIC single track and am really LOVING this bike. So forgiving and EZ to rail on.

[IMG]

Yummy single track...

[IMG]
  11. Marvin E Husqvarna
    B Class

Nice work on the WXC 250! I bought a 94 WXE 360 from a man in Seattle a few years ago that was in similar condition for not much more than you paid. After a very hard year of riding, it wouldn't start without about 25 kicks and tghe front seals were leaking. I pulled the head and saw a very similar problem as you had. I had Tasky's Metric Cycle rebuild the engine for me and now it is a rocket that runs all day without over heating or loosing power. I also had the forks rebuilt by Moto Pro in Woodenville, WA and the bike stays planted in the turns and no longer bottoms out like it used to. These older bikes pull very well in all gears, but like yours, mine is a slower to turn than a newer Husky or Honda. My WXE is a lot of fun to ride on everything from single track to forest roads.

Enjoy the great bike!