Riding in Nor Cal... Yreka

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by oregontrail, May 25, 2010.

1. oregontrail Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 350 XC-f
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 Buell X1 Lightning, 2004 KDX220
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Nice pics and videos.:thumbsup::applause: Brings back memories of poker runs up in Washington state. We never seem to ever have any down here in So Cal. I guess that there just isn't enough open forest area around anywhere.:excuseme:
  3. jfoulkrod Husqvarna
    AA Class

Very cool post. Looks like a good time was had by all.
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Looks like fun. Like the aerial shot of the routes.

:cheers:
  5. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    oregontrail,
    got any more pics/vids to post?

I spent the last couple days exploring So. Oregon and I am in love. I really am thinking about selling everything (except some bikes) and moving to GP. I loved the river, the people, the area and everything else BUT (a big but) the riding is the unknown factor. I'm not sure I'm willing to trade down vs. the riding we have here. Do you have any experience with NW OR and SW WA riding? How does the SW stuff compare? Does fire season have a huge effect on closures?

I spend most of the hot days on the boat and would do the same there, but I'm guessing you guys have a lot more hot days than we do. Riding and boating are my 2 passions and I'm adamant about world class water and trails. I know the waterways are superb (although I'd need to sell the glass boat and buy an Al. jetboat to truly spend time on the water), so the only question is the trails.

I saw some trails on the way to Crater Lake (Southern entrance), but they were wide and flat jeep trails. I also some people leaving the Umpqua river valley yesterday hauling bikes and I'm SURE there's some killer riding in the forest as it was the most beautiful and rugged forest I've ever seen! Would you be so kind as to shed some light on these questions and post some pics/vids? Also, how is the local attitude regarding PDX folk moving to town?

thanks!
  6. oregontrail Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 350 XC-f
    Other Motorcycles:
    PC, go to http://www.motorcycleridersassociation.org/

also here's a Poker Run Video.

http://www.vimeo.com/11478303

Timber Mounatin Hare Scramble Video

http://tinyurl.com/2f26ap4

Go to You tube and type in John's Peak or OMRA site for the Timber Mountain Harescrambles.

Riding is the best about this area!:applause:

Where did you spend the time 'exploring'? Our group owns a bunch of property and we're trying to buy more now, another 380 acres.

Mid July to August we come into fire restrictions in certain areas, but move to ride Prospect, Greyback, ect or hit the river. :thumbsup:

If you ever want to head down and ride, just let me know.
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500

We mostly spent time around Crater Lake (Hwy 62) and then just north on the Umpqua (Hwy 138). We also did the Hellgate jet boat tour and then explored the Rogue river north of GP. I was with my wife and 3y/o son, so I had to balance my selfish desires to scout trails (which I really didn't) with family time. Anyway, I've barely scratched the surface of that area and I freaking loved it!

I'm trying to rally some troops for a dirt bike trip next month. Are there any events in the next month that we should plan around?

I'm kinda thinking about heading down on the weekend on 6-18 thru 6-20 to ride your area(s) and then hitting the Funky Chicken on the way home. If that falls through then we'll probably camp at Lost Lake, so the wife and friends can boat while the boys go riding. I'll work out the details and let you know, but I would love to check out your ride areas.
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Great riding country, thanks for posting and sharing
  9. oregontrail Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 350 XC-f
    Other Motorcycles:
    I may be doing the Funky Chicken on Sunday, if all goes well, 50/50 chance :excuseme: or just do Devil's Head.

The riding is better west of Medford. GP has Quartz Creek too.

The riding is actually right out of Jacksonville, so maybe the wife can check that out when you ride? :busted:
    http://www.jacksonvilleoregon.org/
  10. oregontrail Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 350 XC-f
    Other Motorcycles: