Riding Lusaran Ridge with FMX - Friction Modifiers Extended.

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    DISCLAIMER: Just trying to make a dollar out of 50 cents again here ...

I'm off in another section of the cafe where the word is to use 0w-40 oil to help the xlites engines to maintain proper engine oil flow characteristics on the higher 40wt side of the oil, helping the engine last longer before repairs ... The lower temp rating helps the oil flow at start-up times ..

So, from the oils I had to pick from here on Cebu, with costs also taken into consideration, I ended up with this 50wt and 30wt stuff blended at an attempt to hit ~40WT...
    [IMG]

Someone then points out that Mag1 oil has "Friction Modified For Extended Wear Protection." That's not good for the clutch.... OK but I'm not 100% what that means, but will venture it means the clutch will slip too much? Or does it mean the plates \ fibers will not last as long? This was the 50 cents moment needed for trying to make a dollar :)

Final DISCLAIMER: Do not try this oil blending under your own shade tree unless you are a responsible type person.

-- Testing riding with FMX begins!

One of the larger and twisty climbs I know here is heading west, just east of Lusaran, heading up and over a small mountain ridge. What better place to test a clutch for slippage except for up a pretty good grade in some hard turns? (I've also rode the bike the day before so I'm pretty sure the bike is ok or else I'd never go this far on a bike that might fail).

This ride is called the 'Lusaran Ridge' Ride ... Here are a few pics at the intersection for heading over the ridge or turning to go straight into Lusaran proper.

That ridge line in the background of my 010 TC250 is hiding Lusaran and the larger ridge we'll be riding over and testing the FMX oil additives package against the Husky clutch action.
    496_0662.JPG

This is the real ridge line above Lusaran that we will ride to the top and then we'll ride a spur off the top.
    496_0665.JPG

Coffee plant here I think ... There were loads of them planted here just a few months back but it seems new owners have moved in and replanted some of the area.
    496_0668.JPG

496_0669.JPG
    fredd likes this.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's a little store someone opened up here also so I stopped to spend a few pesos ... You can see some grader work here also :)
    496_0671.JPG

This pic is just a few meters up past the new store.
    496_0755.JPG

Another view of the ridge line we'll be climbing and riding.
    496_0751.JPG

The view back east where we came from.
    496_0752.JPG
    fredd likes this.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's a few pics at the Child Day Care center at the top of the ridge line I've been showing...
    496_0675.JPG

Here's their garden ... Soybeans (that need help!!)
    496_0680.JPG

Pineapples! I'll have to come back and check on these ..
    496_0687.JPG

This ridge line heads on westward and is shown in one of the videos below.
    496_0689.JPG
    fredd likes this.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's the inside of the Child Care Center ... Must be a playhouse for the kids ..
    496_0695.JPG

This is a cool pic I think ...Look at the hills in the distance over and in front of the top of the front fender ... You'll see a tower... That's the same SmartBro tower I've posted other videos on here and have some timed test passing going on there. This is what I'm liking about these small mountains... You can see for miles across valleys and such ...
    496_0698.JPG

This is a view back ~south and you can see a spur off this ridge line on the right ...We'll be riding down that one and back up it...
    496_0691.JPG

A better view of the trail we'll use to ride down the ridge line spur ..
    496_0684.JPG
    fredd likes this.
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    These 2 small villages shown here are a little baffling to me ... I'm down past the Child Care center on that spur and I look west and see these 2 villages .. I don't see a way to enter either one of them ... Also, the trail I cross on over to the other side does not have any access roads ... I'll have to return some day and try to find this place with pink buildings ... (I'm guessing this place is SacSac)
    496_0703.JPG

This is a little better view of the bottom of the valley with buildings..
    496_0710.JPG

This view is from the top of the ridge line after the Care center ... You can see the road is graded here and that is a big plus ... I really like this ride but it had gotten so gnarly in places, I did not wanna ride over it too often till it got graded ... The area in the background is rideable I think ... I'll have to return and see if I can make it to the top of those hills there someday. 496_0722.JPG
    bigjon and fredd like this.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here are the videos ... I'm popping the clutch around more than usual...trying to get slippage or some unexpected behavior from the engine oil with FMXs ...

Never happened ... I never felt any clutch slippage or anything different from my clutch than in the past ... Clutch still dragged as always when the bike was dead...I was hoping to get a little slippage but thats OK ...

This is from the bottom of the ridge where the coffee is planted and the small new store was constructed ... Goes all the way up to the Child care center..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeZvmQVJJSM
    fredd likes this.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    fredd likes this.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here is the second level of the climb, going past the child care center and making the left at that 'Y' and continuing ~west ... The newly graded road is over there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70NT6JujxuE

--
    This is the final part of this climb where the ridge 'Tees' off and rides down the other side of the ridge towards the Lawaan and SacSac towns ...There is a slight chance that town with the pink building was SacSac but that is also a stretch ... I'll just have to ride that out some day and see what I can find ..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvbHbMSf8sY
    fredd likes this.
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Final words on this MAG1 engine oil with FMXs added to reduce friction...

1) Did this MAG1 oil with FMX additives package give my 2010 TC250 any clutch slippage or unexpected side-effects when mixed with Castrol Power1 oil?
    No. About 7 hrs on this blend and no unexpected clutch behavior yet. I don't expect any bad side effects but will keep you informed if any rear their heads.

2) Am I gonna use this blend again? Not sure and this depends on what 40wt oils I can find here and at what costs ... But as of now, I have the other 1/2 QT of Mag 1 and Power1 oils so it is certainly on the list.
  10. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I'm getting tired of the hassle of ordering Amsoil. I'm switching to Mobil 1 0W40 and going to run it in everything but the cars (they spec 0W20). 0W40 should be fine in the Husky, the snowblower, the generator, the weed whacker (4T), and lawn mower. It' just too easy to go to WalMart and buy it by the gallon.
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd do the Mobil also but at > $20 per liter here, I'm gonna find another solution and keep the miles rolling on my bikes... For now anyway..

-
    I guess I owe you a thanks because if you had not brought up the FMX question, I'd have been back on my 250cc 2st Husky and doing more time trials in my immediate, general area and not over on that part of the island riding AND finding out a dozer has been used over there fixing the trails... This can expand my riding area over in that direction in the near future... Before it gets too gnarled out for what I like riding ...
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's some more testing FMX ...I'm just out riding in the rain here ... You can see here I'm pretty easy at times on my 4t bikes ... I've said it before, these new fangled 4t bikes are street bikes with a suspension and can be ridden as such ...

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/rain-day-short-ride.40986/

And... Its 8am. Been getting some good showers at night to soften this clay into real traction ... The decision that has to be made before too long is for further testing here on the FMX laden 4t or go back to riding the 2t in more time trials... Or do something else ... Maybe a combination? ...
  13. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I just use good old Motul 10 50 semi syn
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Motul I have saw here for sale is ~$22 a liter or so or I'd try some ... This MAG 1 and Castrol worked ok for ~12 hrs and I'll be using the same mix when I change the oil in a few days..
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I love Amsoil 2 stroke oil but think the Mobile is better in the trans. Like how it shifts better.
  16. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    One of our riding partners changed his oil a year or so ago with some brand of oil with friction modifiers. Bike was a 2011 SXF350. That oil completely ruined his clutch. The bike would just slip when you hit the throttle. It was just barely ride able if you were very gentle rolling on the throttle. It became a dangerous bike to ride. Any of those situations where immediate throttle response is needed would result in a bike that would rev to the moon but not pick up any speed at all. To top it off the fiber plates were ruined. Even after an oil change the clutch continued to slip. A couple of oil flushes, a through cleaning of the steel plates and brand new fiber plates are what it took for the clutch to work properly again. Those are all downsides I'm not willing to gamble with to save a few bucks on oil.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Too bad on his bike ... I tested my clutch out on the very first foot I rode and if any bad side effects were felt, I would have drained the oil immediately ... One slip would have been enough for me to park my bike.

In my case, it had zero effect. I'm not gonna put this too-slippery-oil in my rekluse bike, but I have no issues with this oil cut at a 50% rate in my other bikes so far. I spent alot of money on engine oil as compared to my daily expenses. I'm not down with helping oil companies make more millions but we all know oil, today, is ~100% necessary so we all must spend here. I just try to taper it as much as possible without hurting my mechanical devices.

--
    Now that we have established 2 different behaviors, about the only way I know to arrive at a sensible conclusion to this contradiction in mechanical behavior with respect to oil, is to look into what are the exact modifiers used and in what quantities ... Without any further info, well, its just too generic for me to come to any useful conclusion, other than, well, you know, its an event that does not happen in my world with regards to MAG1 oil mixed at a 1\2 rate at this point in time.
    --
    Disclaimer: Do not try this at home. You can not handle my world same as I can't handle your world. (And there is nothing wrong with that and I'm sure we can both have a good life, at the same time.)