1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Round II - '72 450 Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by mike328, May 10, 2011.

1. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Recieved my 450 5-9-11...
    Checked it out turns over, has spark, but needs, carb overhaul, tires, rim locks, fork seals/wipers....
    etc....jumped right in last nite pulled tank, carb, etc
    Its gonna be a "rider".... Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg
  2. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Inside of tank is in good shape..I'll be using the evapo rust to remove minor rusting..
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Looks in pretty nice shape as is. [IMG]
  4. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks...it really is in great shape....just some tweeking
  5. scooter81 Husqvarna

Looks good, CR or WR? Is the tank stock, just painted?
  6. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Its a WR, the tank is stock but been re- painted but I'm thinking of re-doing it...Lol..
    I started off thinking yea...carb overhaul new oil....LOL..
    I'm getting into restoration mode....
  7. scooter81 Husqvarna

The resto deal can really get ya.... My kingdom for a correct size and length BUFO tank bolt !
  8. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

LOL....this 450 has very few Bufo bolts .. I'll just replace with new.. its gonna be rider.
  9. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pulled off the wheels and its going to need new rear brakes. bad news is the rear brake backing has worn thru on the edge/lip. I noticed it was probably JB welded & painted over. Its still worn thru..I went to Woodys wheel works and in a private ceremony pronouced this backing plate gone... (the JB weld makes welding difficult..PLUS since the backing plate is worn thru the weld would go into the grove/lip on the inside of it & the weld cannot be lathed out) I will post a photo later.
    I know the hubs that the '72 450 used, were the same hubs on other models. The akront lip rim was used until '75, so I'm thinking about the hubs in the years '72-'75 (correct me if I am wrong!)
    I have emails out to bike boneyard, a call into Speed & Sport (he does hubs/wheels spokes)

My question; anyone know a source for GOOD used rear hub/brake backing plate for a '72 450?
  10. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had read an article by Rob Phillips, he mentioned a coating on one of his Steve McQueen finds. The coating company is now KG industies.. Here is the link: http://www.kgcoatings.com/protective-coatings-page-1/

I am thinking about using that Gun Kote on the fork legs & engine, has anyone tried this coating material?...comments?...Reverend?...you seen/tried this stuff?...
  11. retro rocket Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mike

looking good ... Your brave ... it always seems to start with just a 'quick buff up' to 'rider' standard ... Which quickly turns into a $6 million NOS resto ... as they say I spent my money on wine, women and vintage Husqvarnas - the rest I wasted!
  12. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tom..!!!...Buhhahaaaaa...!! thats the truth.

Since the 450 has very few Bufos.. I figure I might as well go all new bolts/nuts etc..
    I'll be replating the bufos on the triple clamp/fork legs..but does anyone know if there is source for a "Bolt kit"?... I have seen & sourced the allen bolts...I am thinking about regular hex head bolts....anyone have a source
  13. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

here's the photos of the rear brake backing plate

Attached Files:

14. offyatindy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 Husqvarna 450WR
    It looks great...but just a thought...in the process of restoring my '72 WR 450, I found that my engine had spark, compression and seemed to need a carb rebuild, so I left it to last. Turned out, it needed a crank, bottom end bearings, seals etc. As it happens, the parts are available and there are people who will do a rebuild at a (relatively) reasonable price (or you can do it yourself) but I would have saved myself a lot of kicking and cursing and sweating and most of all, time, if I had attacked the engine first.

If the bike runs, please ignore my comments. If it doesn't run, remember, an engine needs four things to run...fuel, spark, compression....and good bearings. Maybe 5 things if you count seals....6 things if you count.........
  15. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

LOL....Thanks "Offyatindy"....but I think its really only One thing to run these and that is: $$$......LOL..
    all kidding aside.. the engine has been pulled and sent to John LeFevre along with other parts.. I am muddling my way thru other issues.... I pulled the carb right away..wow ... that was thrashed too..
    sent it off to BING... now on to the wheels...hubs..The wheels were "ok".. but decided the cost to straighten-weld (cracked) would be alot of work vs starting out with new (Blanks - undrilled) Akront - Ribbed rims. I ordered the rims from the UK.. I will probably have Woodys Wheel works drill my wheels & set them up.. Now the forks.... etc...LOL .. again ONE thing to make these things run and thats $$$$$
  16. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Like Retro Rocket posted...."as they say I spent my money on wine, women and vintage Husqvarnas - the rest I wasted!"
  17. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

18. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not Husky but thought I would share..been working on this for about 2 yrs.. the previous owner did some jankey wiring ... seperate switches for headlight & taillight. if I turned on the headlight & the tail light the engine died.. now all is good... plus did new engine seals, ceramic coated exhaust.. I will license this bike so I can ride country roads.
    Figure I would post since we all like bikes.
    sorry about the poor quality took these with phone camera

Attached Files:

19. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok..Husky T got me amped about nickel plating. I'm going over my parts seriously considering the nickel thing... anyway here's my before photos.. Its amazing that the green primer is still intact. The Airbell has silicon attaching a back plate flange to the "bell"..seems janky but guess it 'worked'...you can see the green primer on the footpeg. IMG00035-20110620-1907.jpg IMG00038-20110620-1908.jpg

Attached Files:

20. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok more green primer....and my new rear brake backing plate..Thank you Retro Rocket IMG00044-20110620-1912.jpg

Attached Files:

offyatindy likes this.