Searching For New Stuff In The Same Old Desert

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Sep 27, 2013.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    As we've done for the last 5 years or so, we spent the Memorial Day week in northwestern Nevada. I was feeling a bit restless, wanting to explore new ground, but we found ourselves in the same old spot anyway. The allure of the desert is too great, and even though there's tons of desert to choose from, it's really hard to give up the little slice of heaven we've found.

It was a bit of a rough trip out there. Normally we'd leave town early on Wednesday but I've been racing sailboats on Wednesday nights, the Sweet Sixteen series out of the Oakland Yacht Club, and didn't want to miss a race. We've been doing really well and this night was no exception, as we brought the Jackal home in first, but it was a long race and I didn't get home til late...
    [IMG]

We finally left town at 9:30pm. Apparently somewhere outside of Fernley we pulled over for a nap. Eric gassed up, slept for 2 hours, and then took off without waking me up. I didn't wake up til Eric started urgently asking me to look out the back window of the van and tell him if I see sparks. Yep, I see sparks. What the hell...? Ah, damn it...
    [IMG]

The tire had disintegrated, showering my shiny Husqvarna TR650 Terra in shredded melty rubber, and we were rockin' down the runway on metal. We installed the spare and headed to Winnemucca for the night. FYI, WalMart in Winnemucca has trailer tires on wheels if you should ever need one while in the area.

Happy to get to our favorite campsite at 9am, and nice to find these lovely items waiting for me. Lucky in love, I am...
    [IMG]

Any reservations I had about coming back to the same old place were quickly replaced with thoughts of gratitude, reverence and true awe...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Spent the afternoon loading the bikes with camping gear and perusing the maps. Spent the evening stargazing and soaking away the aches and pains of the workweek...
    [IMG]

Jupiter and Mercury at sunset...
    [IMG]

Our morning was full of promise and moist ground...
    [IMG]

If you want to find water in the desert all you need to do is follow the animals...
    [IMG]

North into Oregon...
    [IMG]

There's water everywhere in the desert, it just takes a little bit of looking around to find it...
    [IMG]

Map check in perfect solitude...
    [IMG]

We're in the right place...Oregon Central Military Wagon Road, 1864...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Heading north...
    [IMG]

Hey! Something new!
    [IMG]

This place was a trip...a fortress in the middle of nowhere. Seriously...nothing for miles and miles and miles...and this place is built to withstand a serious assault. Party palace on the top...
    [IMG]

Windows covered in 1" thick trench plate...
    [IMG]

More to come.
    Lots more...

WoodsChick
    jerbear610, juicypips, Nordic and 4 others like this.
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Bummer about the tire. Good thing it didn't turn into a bigger issue.:)

Bog HS?
    [IMG]
    richard kersten likes this.
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep!

And the tire was nothing compared to the aggravation that awaited us the next night...:mad:
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    What is this place protecting? The road we came in on can be seen in the background...
    [IMG]

Empress of all I survey...
    [IMG]

Seeing the pronghorn antelope let us know we were getting close to our destination for the evening...
    [IMG]

And our destination was a quiet little corner of an antelope refuge...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

After setting up camp we took a walk and a soak...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

We returned to camp and noticed an old guy had pulled in sort of close to us. He kept taking his CT90 out for short rides and then returning. We were slightly dismayed to see someone else there, but it was just a guy out enjoying the desert by himself on his bike...pretty much what we were doing...so it was cool. We cooked dinner and settled in for a nice evening...
    [IMG]

Within an hour we knew what the guy on the CT90 was doing on his little rides. He was looking for the three 15-passenger vans that were going to be joining him. We watched in horror as Southern Oregon University students, cases of Keystone beer, and camping equipment came spilling out of the 3 vans. And join him they did...right behind our orange tent.
    [IMG]

Seriously...there were 6 tents mere steps from our own...here, in this vast and remote desert...
    [IMG]

They drank and yelled and carried on all f'ing night. The next morning we counted 15 tents, including the 6 tucked into the trees right next to our own, and a Bronco that slept 3. We've spent a week out here before and not seen 15 people all week! Ugh... Well, I guess this counts as something new in the same old desert, eh?

We were up and out of our tent long before sun-up, though. It was still and quiet and cold...21ยบ. We watched the full moon set as the sky got light...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

We greeted the sun and watched the deer and the antelope play...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

We fished the Keystone beer cans (grrrr....!) out of the water...
    [IMG]

...and I angrily tossed them into the still-slumbering tent village from hell as we passed by on our way back to camp...
    [IMG]

Had a tasty breakfast of chicken mole' and tortillas...
    [IMG]

...and then packed up camp and prepared to leave. We decided it would be a good idea to warm up the boisterous Leo Vince'd Huskys for a good long while. You know, on account of it being so cold and all. Man, those Huskys are LOUD early in the morning when everyone is sleeping off a drunken late night. Gee, I felt really bad about that. No, really...
  5. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    That "fortress" looks just like the one in the movie "Tremors" with Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward:popcorn:
    MorrisBetter and WoodsChick like this.
  6. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Love the pics. A good reminder of why that area of Nevada is special. I've been through there many times.
    Thanks for posting.
    Dave
    WoodsChick likes this.
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Haha! That movie was filmed in the eastern Sierra in a place called Alabama Hills. It's really neat there.

You're very welcome, Dave :thumbsup: Thanks for checking it out. That area of Nevada and Oregon really is special, isn't it?
  8. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It sure is. That whole corner of the Great Basin is full of wonders. I love it and respect it.
    Good for you for exploring it.
    Dave
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've explored it quite a bit. Love it there! I've probably posted way more ride reports on that area than I should have :o
  10. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cool. Can't wait to see the rest of your pics from this last trip. I might save down a few for desktop screen savers!
  11. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Great pictures WC!
    I have been going down there this time of year for the last couple of years but the winter is coming a month early this year. Glad you folks made it!
    BTW, I think I know that family of burros that hang just up from BHS. I camped off the road right by the cattle guard/fence line where you (I think) took the picture when there were already a number of folks at the HS.
    They are pretty cool and fun. MRS Ring Leader made a fun game out of leading her little family up to sneak up and scream and stomp around my tent (all night) until they were rewarded with the sound of my tent zipper, flashlight and yelling that followed. Haha, it was fun seeing them peaking around the sagebrush when I turned the light on. After I let them stand around the tent they soon got bored and
    i got to sleep.
    I set my camp up right before dark and didn't know until morning that they were defending the only fresh water hole in the area that was only about a hundred yards away. :)
    WoodsChick likes this.
  12. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hah! Yeah, those burros crack me up. They're so animated and full of character. I love seeing them!
  13. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    We took our properly warmed-up Huskys and railed out towards the south in search of something we'd never seen before...
    [IMG]
    Green is always a lovely color in the desert...
    [IMG]
    And green in the desert usually means one thing, right?
    [IMG]
    It always pays to check it out, especially if it's not on the map...
    [IMG]
    Not exactly what I was looking for...
    [IMG]
    Hey, hey! Looks like this runs through here, too...
    [IMG]
    We headed up it a ways just to see the view...
    [IMG]
    While up there we found the track we were looking for. There it is, down on the right...
    [IMG]
    And it was a fantastic track...
    [IMG]
    Nice rocks...
    [IMG]
    They were even nicer up close...
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Leaving the rocks behind...
    [IMG]
    I'd heard tell of a semi-abandoned glass house out here somewhere. Had even seen photos of it. Had no idea where it was, other than in this valley somewhere, and that it wasn't visible from the track I was on. We rode around in the heat for quite some time, opening and closing gates, traversing wet muddy non-roads in tall grasses, going through abandoned ranches...all the while thinking that a house...and a glass one, at that...should be pretty obvious out here in the land of no houses. It wasn't. We found it anyway, and it was up on a hill hidden from those down below...
    [IMG]
    Very artsy and cool...
    [IMG]
    Comes with a dance floor deck...
    [IMG]
    I was pretty damned happy to find this place...
    [IMG]
    The end of the driveway could use some landscaping...
    [IMG]
    The views were OK, I guess...
    [IMG]
    jerbear610, benwiggin2, JonXX and 2 others like this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Wow that house is really cool. Any idea the back story or who owns it?
    JonXX and WoodsChick like this.
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

No idea. Wachs and Brad and those guys might know, though. It almost looks like someone is living there when you look into the house but the outside and other things would suggest it's just locked up for good. I wish I knew more about it... P1010759.JPG
    HARDER1, Nordic and Xcuvator like this.
  16. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Interesting for sure.
  17. darnold87 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 SM610 Adventure
    Great looking ride! :)
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    The blue skies showed up well out there in your pics and that was a lot of action for a ride way out there ...

Hard to believe those guys camped so close to but life is full of all types ...
  19. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I always love to see your reports, especially from that area. My great grandfather used to haul mail in the NV, OR, ID border region, and my Dad lives north of Winnemucca. I will have to ask if he knows any local history on the glass house and the fortress.

SOU is known as a party school, and apparently they travel....boo.
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

North of Winnemucca? Where? There's not much out there...that's why I like it :thumbsup:

Wouldn't it be cool to sit down and have a conversation with an old-timer like your great grandfather? Once that stuff is gone it's gone forever.