1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Seattle Area Q's

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by marcmo0, Feb 18, 2014.

1. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Hey all, so I am wondering what the riding is like near the Seattle area? I have seen some of the epic pics that have been posted from some of the clan in the PNW, but have no idea how far away that is. I have been interviewing for a job that way and am contemplating the move from SLC to Seattle. I am a bit spoiled with the sunshine and year round riding here, but there is definitely something to be said about the ocean, fresh seafood, and lots of good beer and wine to be had. I have never been to Seattle, what are the pro's and cons? understanding everyone has different opinions. I know the weather will be a bit a challenge at first, but really what keeps me sane is twisting the throttle, so...how is the riding and how far away is it???
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Lots of good riding 1-3 hours away. Lots of MX tracks. Woods and dez are both doable in a day ride. Winter riding really narrows down the options and lot of people ski and sled in the winter. Seattle is a melting pot, lots of different people and variety. Lots going on. Traffic sucks and it is semi expensive. Its a very Blue state politically especially the seattle area for whatever thats worth to you. Pretty much everything you can think of is there.
    Glenn haynes likes this.
  3. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Democrats / left.
  5. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    ha! wouldn't be such a bad thing coming from so far to the right! Hey, what are some good suburban areas that aren't too far? Someone had suggested Lake Stevens. Any other types of areas to look at? Prob rent a house for a yr or two and if all works out, then settle in and buy a pad. Something not too far from Seattle. Maybe between Seattle and Portland? If I get the job I would be covering both states, with Portland and Seattle being the areas of focus.
  6. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    Try Olympia then if you want to go to both cities. If you want no traffic then kitsap or gig harbor. Winter riding abundant near kitsap area. Don't ever try to go anywhere in the summer on a Friday unless you leave between 9-11am. I grew up near LS. Don't miss it. Snoho or Monroe maybe but not LS.
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    Olympic forest out of Olympia is great riding, the commute from Olympia to Seattle is a drag
    my family lives all around those areas, I choose not
  8. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Yeah, my lady would most likely be working closer to the city. I could probably make about an hour commute realisticly work. But more than that, and I may be looking to find a place by myself for too long.
  9. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Actually The mtn sinlgetrack is second to none. Many people who have ridden all over agree we have some of the best mtn singletrack in the US. Between Gifford and Mad lake and other areas. Bear in mind though its a window of 5 months though. The east side of the state has abundance if sunshine because the mtns block the clouds. Downside to that is we get a permadrizzle year round. The lack of sunshine can get to you. Winter months you mainly have two riding areas for singletrack. One of them is massive though. You can plate any bike. My 2 stroke is plated with a ds kit. You have amazing riding areas in Oregon too. Personally for riding its probably a close second behind Idaho, Wyoming North Nevada area
    ray_ray and Motosportz like this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Come again? I'm sorry but have to disagree. That area is quad hell to me and I wont even ride there anymore. I'm not trying to be rude but there are gobs of places better than Capitol.
  11. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I was curious what that area was like lately. I hear two camps of people talking about capitol. One groups says its actually pretty cool if you know where to go, other groups say its quad hell. I haven't been there in ten years because cant convince anyone to go, I didn't like the dirt there but figured if I could get away from the 2 track it might be worth trying again. That clay is not good with a trials tire though
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

I guess it has changed, I have not been there in a while, it was nice years ago when I was there
    next time I am there I will ask where a good riding area is
  13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    so where is this area? sounds like fun to me
    there are some nice single tracks to be ridden but when you mention north Nevada where is that exactly, so much of this state has rocks it's weird, we were riding last year on the Cal. border and after you crossed it seemed there were less rocks weird
    so some of the best single track I have ever seen was northern California, been up and down the 1st and 3rd divide above Downieville what a gas, riding at Stoneyford was Ok
  14. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Just going on what people have told me of nevada. Guy from Wyoming just told me this last weekend they cut 40 new miles of singletrack in Wyoming and nobody there cares. Idaho though..thats a no brainer.
  15. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Capitol is just ok.... Oly natl forest and DNR areas nearby and other areas provide great winter riding. There's always a stash to enjoy but you won't typically read about where they exist.
  16. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    I live on Bainbridge Island and work in downtown Seattle. It's a big island immediately west of Seattle across Puget Sound. I take the ferry back and forth across the Sound each day for work. It's a great commute because I don't have to drive and can have a beer and take a nap on my way home. :) Bainbridge is great albeit a bit full of itself, and I might be the only one that rides dirt bikes (everyone else is a pedal pusher I think). I like it because I can get the hell out of the shitty (city) on the weekends and it's close to the Olympic and Kitsap peninsulas where I ride and fish the most. I ride primarily at Tahuya State Forest and some at Green Mountain (look them up on the WA DNR website). Lots of single track at each place and they are within 30-50 minutes from my house on Bainbridge. Seattle and surrounding burbs are ok if you can stand the masses and traffic. Friends of mine that live in Seattle area ride at Walker Valley ORV. I've never ridden it, but I hear it's great single track, very technical and a little scary in places and it's an hour or two north of town. Western Washington has year round riding due to its relatively mild weather. Good luck!
    ray_ray and Motosportz like this.
  17. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Brian, I live on BI too. :busted: I was shocked to see that such a brute of a man (like myself) inhabits our delicate rock whilst wielding both the 300 and 500cc two cycle machines. :notworthy:

Let's ride GM sometime. :cheers:
    Brian Scott likes this.
  18. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Hey all. Thanks for the replies. sorry for the delayed response I have been travelling for work a ton. So what are some good suburban areas that are not too far out of town, decent schools, affordable, etc? Just curious as I would be going in blind. My lady is honed in on Lake Stevens, which looks awesome, but maybe a touch far. Enumclaw? Any ideas of where to start would be great. I really appreciate the info!!
  19. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Bear in mind traffic can be a nightmare around here (depending where you are and where you have to go). I live in North bend which is way out on i90 at the base of the mtns and commute to downtown Seattle. On the map it looks horrible but it's always a straight shot. My commute is never more than 45 minutes tops. When I lived in the north end (half the distance) my commute was an hour. So...around here it really depends where you commute too and when.
    ray_ray likes this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Absolutely. Its really fun when it snows.