set and forget

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by ghte, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Guys once your efi is sorted is it a case of set and forget or do you need to keep tweeking etc.
  2. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    I set it where i like it, now it's time to forget it and enjoy it.
  3. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    For the most part, once its running correctly, it requires little attention from then on.
    Some people say that FI is complicated and hard to deal with, but after having one and getting it set up correctly, I kind of wonder how I ever lived without it.

I have never had a 450 that ran this good through the entire throttle and rpm range. Not to mention how easy it is to start after you stall out.
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks guys. I want to make the techno jump to a later efi Husky but feel that by reading the carby/efi section there is a degree of perpetual mucking around with efi. Guess I had just better grab the bull by the horns as just do it.
  5. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Everyone at some point is new to EFI so you see allot of questions prior to purchase and after. If you do your homework there are no surprises. Everyone’s aptitude, commitment, and expectation is different. You do have to have a way to make adjustments: whether Ibeat II, PCV, or a knowledgeable and committed dealer. Although, I have a couple friends that have never been “tuned” and they happily keep logging on miles. Adjustments are not needed if or once set up correctly. But if you have Ibeat or a PCV it is so easy to play with that you can make adjustments so easily and effortlessly that it encourages you to make small tweaks. I did my adjustments with the IBeat and feel no need to get a PCV.
    EFI- pros/cons off the top of my head:
    Pros
    No float bowl to drain, leak, or have evaporate.
    No jets to clog.
    No AP to tweak or become degraded. NO need because the ap is to make up for the absence of vacuum needed to deliver fuel in quick throttle changes- efi not dependant on vacuum.
    Does not “flood” during a fall.
    Does not drip gas in rough whooped sections
    Does not drain fuel in fall.
    No vent tubes to suck dust, water, or get clogged
    Makes self adjustments to many conditions but not HUGE changes.
    Easily changed settings and diagnostics

Cons:
    dependant on fuel pump to deliver fuel- less “dependable” compared to vacuum and gravity.
    Dependant on sensors and connectors.
    Learning curve- need to become familiar and comfortable with EFI
    More battery dependant.

I have not had a dependability problem- no wires, connector, sensor, or pump problems. :thumbsup:
  6. HSMRDave Husqvarna
    B Class

All bikes will eventually turn to DFi, having run both I can only agree with MXRider and say I also wonder how I lived without it.
    A carb can never compete with DFi in relation to adjustability, you can set the Autotune module to the AFR you require and it takes care of it. It is even more relevant when you are using the bike in different atmospheric conditions, which is where DFi really comes into its own:thumbsup:
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I like it. Love the quick EZ adjustments if you want, temp and altitude compensating etc. Throttle response is immediate. never drips gas on the ground, don't need to (in fact you cant) turn off the gas, like when laying the bike in the side to help a friend or something.

the down side it the wiring is more complex, the bike will not run without a good bat.

Love the fact that it will tell you where an issue is via the software, allow you to set stuff and keep historical data like hours etc.

Even though it is $300 I suggest you get it as it does a lot of stuff and is very nice to have around. This is money you would be spending on the millions of products to make the FCR work 100%.
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Great responses and well reasoned arguments, Thank you for sharing.
  9. chilehusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine has given me not much trouble. After initial set ut it run pretty good, only slight hesitation at around 1800 to 2000. (mine bike is a early 2008, so it was supossed to be the ono most prone to problems). Later i installed a PCV with autotune, but mainly to be able to play around. I adjusted AFr to 13.2 (except on low TPS readings), accepted the suggested table and changed manually the low TPS adjustment to a richer condition (to be able to whack the throttle without killing the engine).
    Dont worry about EFI, it works pretty good.
    Another advantage i have found added to the ones listed by HUSKYnXJnWI
    is it starts inmediatly, hot or cold, after days or weeks.
    The only times i have made changes, was to adjust for fuel saving on longer trips, and this is really a five minute job.