1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc shift fork issue?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ryboj, Feb 12, 2011.

1. ryboj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00TE410_01TE570
    Other Motorcycles:
    '03 Polaris Predator, '86 YZ490
    I just sold my 04WR250 to my friend and there is a small issue with the bike I wanted to get corrected for him (yes I did mention it to him before selling). Unfortunately, "sometimes" (typically if not shifted with intent) the bike will shift into a funky neutral area when going from first to second. Only is first to second it seems, no other times. It's not a regular neutral, it feels a little different. Either way, it's still very much a neutral area in the tranny.

Does anyone know what this is? Bike has low hours and has been well maintained. Original owner mentioned having the shift fork corrected early on when he first bought it.

If someone does have an idea what it might be, can anyone estimate the repair at a local Husky shop? Can the engine stay mounted, etc?

Thanks! Ryan
  2. ryboj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00TE410_01TE570
    Other Motorcycles:
    No love ? At least give me an idea guys if you know. I need to know how much I might be in for to help my friend get his bike fixed that I sold him. Need to sleep at night. :)
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Sometimes, the detents on the shifting drum don't always hold too well. Since neutral is right between first and second, it can "roll back" if the shift isn't postive enough. I had a Kawasaki KLX300 that had to actually get a heavy duty aftermarket shift return spriing and a specially remachined star selector to keep the shift drum from randomly ending up between gears....especially between first and second.
  4. ryboj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00TE410_01TE570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks DirtDame.... the original owner mentioned something that you did about the issue, and that is making the shift a positive one, like you mean it. He said the first to second throw is fairly substantial in length. He recommended to my friend that he lower the gift shifter a notch so he'll naturally give it more engagement when he shifts, but I'm not sold it will correct it 100%. At least now I have an idea as to how the mechanism works. Hopefully all of which isn't splitting cases or anything like that. Great info DirtDame. [IMG]

Keep it coming if someone has anything else to add.